Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Here's hoping for some two headed Bear People astride the Battle Cattle.

I also want a goofy radio jockey because those have become something of a staple for Fallout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
He looks like the Fallout 4 ghouls. I know a lot of people don't like their design compared to the more mutated zombie look of earlier games but I enjoy the shriveled up raisin skin

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So the majority of this stuff is mainly for context, but just for fun, here's the (chronological) order of intro sequences for the main Fallout games so you can hear Ron Perlman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0MnePcXxkI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM3Y6uw6FtU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geLiEiAiQJA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SxRNua0TGY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_xQdnyTcio
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxOiVxTB0KY

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Mar 10, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
2 is great but I still have a fondness for New Vegas. The gunshot smash cut to the title credits is sublime.

It's also neat how each intro reflects a different mindset. Fallout 1 gives a pretty cut and dry historical explanation of how the End happened. Fallout 2 is set long after Fallout 1 and the Great War and the Vaults are a distant memory, so the narration reflects that by saying "who cares why or how the world ended, its just human nature." Then Fallout 3 is a bit more philosophical given that Vault 101 was never intended to open. 76 argues for humanity's responsibility to rebuild the surface. Fallout 4 is one man's worry for the future given what he saw in the army. And then New Vegas hits a point where legend and myth has turned back to history as the long march of time and progress brings the Wasteland into a new post-post apocalyptic age of nations, business and greed.

I'm curious what tack the show is going to take, since it would be easy to just do a "Fallout's greatest hits" story, only this one is set in California where a lot has happened since the Great War.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 10, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If they lean into the post post-apocalypse that California should be (barring the NCR imploding) then they could get pretty creative with differentiating the various surface societies. You'll have your junktown from the trailers, army base Brotherhood, or full on rebuilt towns like Vault City/New Reno. Though it is set in greater LA so the closest to a big NCR settlement should be The Boneyard where the Followers have their university.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
There's Vault 33 where Lucy and Overseer Kyle McLachlan are from, and Chris Parnell Vault. Walton Goggins is doing his Vault-Tec sales pitch from Vault 4, which might be the Parnell vault but who knows.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Better tha being turned into a radioactive tree like some guys and ghouls

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I mean it's pretty much the same setup as FO1, 3 and 4. It follows a Vault Dweller who for one reason or another needs to leave for the surface, play the audience surrogate to all the weird societies and animals, and then they get caught up in a conflict larger than the needs of the Vault and then become a Wasteland Legend.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So it appears that Ramin Djawadi is doing the music for the show. I'd have liked Inon Zur but Djawadi is great when he gets room to flex.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Ramin Djawadi doing the music for this one and I'm glad he's got the weird west vibes going.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/falloutonprime/status/1773017273126568321?t=iH7vmlnbpVFoafiDME769w&s=19

They seem to he having fun.

I know that people will get mad at the Okie-Dokie! and claim it's too kitschy for Fallout, so I'll head them off by saying "Happy Trails!" "Watch out for Strangers!" and "Laterrrrrrr"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/falloutonprime/status/1773741909988753595?t=3MSR-umfnU1gMw6ITHQMLw&s=19

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1775203503570305416?t=m2vKiyqTH0MZAcy0N9dWgw&s=19

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Goggins calling it The Good, the Bad and the Ugly crossed with Doctor Strangelove is a fairly accurate statement for tone. Pulpy but also sharp.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If this show turns out to be bad I expect it'll be bad in the way most modern 8-12 episode season shows are bad, not because the showrunners dont understand fallout. Poorly prioritized storytelling, obnoxious cliffhanger episode endings, inexplicable filler episodes despite having a limited runtime, and a structural split between telling a tight, cohesive narrative and wanting to explore a broad canvas of all the franchise iconography and "stuff".

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yeah I honestly hate cliffhanger endings and stingers. When they're done well, sure, fine whatever. But most of the time they're used to drive this false sense of engagement and pose this utter refusal to let individual episodes stand on their own, either because they don't want you to watch one at a time and instead binge, or because they're incapable of writing a standalone 40 minute story.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

roomtone posted:

just coming from the invincible S2 thread which has every single on of these issues. shogun has all of them, too. just two currently airing examples which are otherwise pretty quality shows.

it's the formula. every show uses it nowadays. but every part of the formula are consistently the worst parts of the show.

For every show that uses the formula effectively there will be dozens that absolutely crumble under the format. It doesn't work for most shows but everyone uses it.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Apr 4, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Orvin posted:

Rewatching those on streaming services are a treat. Cliffhanger and fade to black. Now rewind 10 seconds and show the resolution, which is usually nothing special.

There's an early Season 1 or 2 episode of Star Trek TNG that ends the cold open with a stinger that Worf might die, and then when the title is over and they come back he's just dizzy and it has nothing to do with the rest of the episode.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
TLOU show is better when it isn't doing 1:1 remakes of scenes from the game.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qljE3C6Gn18

I really don't know why they're hiding the New California Republic so much in these previews and featurettes. They talk about wanting to explore the major factions of the Wasteland but they don't even mention the NCR by name. There's the big BOS NCR fight they keep showing off in the trailers but nary a mention of who they are unless you recognize the flag.

Are they gonna use the NCR as the primary antagonists of the show and that's why they're downplaying them in the trailers? That would actually be pretty interesting, since the NCR is an expansionist nation that makes independent communities a part of them whether they like it or not.

It would also be pretty ballsy to make the post-apocalyptic inheritors of liberal democracy the bad guys. Not that I'd give the BOS credit either, crazy technofascists.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Apr 8, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Megazver posted:

They nuked it, because Todd wanted old fans who think that New Vegas is better that 3&4 to eat poo poo and cry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWwei13ImZg

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Hence why New Vegas placed itself on the frontier borders between two nations where things were less civilized and developed. NCR cities in the home states are constructing new buildings rather than squatting in shantytowns. Supposedly.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Microsoft owning Obsidian and Bethesda and splitting off Fallout and Elder Scrolls to each would be funny. It's not gonna happen but it would be funny.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They don't.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
G.E.C.K. results may vary.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/falloutonprime/status/1777532118089793697?t=5lBTYFE01y7hDZLvRPYXTw&s=19

Show drops at 6 pm PT April 10th

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I am literally just watching this for Walton Ghoulgins playing cowboy Boyd Crowder.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Vinylshadow posted:

Fallout: It's All Over But The (Fans Are) Crying

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I hope there's at least one wastelander who gets into an argument over whether Sunset Sarsaparilla is better than Nuka Cola.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Vinylshadow posted:

Random background event of two people fighting over a star bottle cap

Every episode who's fighting who changes

No one ever comments on it

Malcolm Holmes jumpscare.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Okay I'm not always the biggest fan of the way Bethesda handles ghouls but Cooper rising from the grave he's been imprisoned in for decades while living off nothing but a radaway iv drip was great.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Ep2 I spy a Fallout 1 styled 10mm pistol with the ribbed foregrip.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It may not have the interface but Cooper was absolutely using VATS

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Even in the 2070s the Hollywood writers are communists.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Rhymenoserous posted:

As a huge weird fallout lore nerd my only question is how is the Brotherhood still actually powerful? The west coast Brotherhood was hanging on by a thread 10 years before this story was set. I doubt they’ll address it.

The Mojave Chapter of the Brotherhood was on death's door following the Battle of Helios One. In the west they had mostly retreated to the bunkers but still had power and were continuing to fight the NCR.

I've finished three episodes and I'm calling it a night. Show is pretty good, and Goggins is the standout. I will say that there's some bits that have me apprehensive but so far I'm waiting to see how they pan out before I decide.

In three episodes we've had a mish-mash of various Fallout shenanigans. The Enclave is doing Enclave things, the Vault Dweller is doing a Fallout 3 and trying to find her father, there's now a broken water chip putting a timer on Vault 33's survival, and instead of a Platinum Chip macguffing with have a chip in a guy's head.

So we've got a mystery box setup to see what the chip does and how it will control the Wasteland, and tracking down the raider who kidnapped Hank is the hook to go on a cross-country tour of various wasteland oddities. We've had a junktown/megaton riff with Filly, callbacks to New Vegas with the Enclave doing scientific studies on dogs, and the whole thing is drenched in Fallout 4's visuals.

My worry is that this will turn into yet another scrap between the Brotherhood and the Enclave. They're already hinting at the tri-vault system being yet another Vault-Tec experiment and of course the Enclave knows what Vault-Tec was up to, so that will tie Norm's story back into the bigger plot.

If I had a general criticism it's that the wasteland doesn't really have any distinct character to it yet. It feels more like a jumbled collection of spaces that don't really connect to each other and can change with so much as a scene transition. It's in Los Angeles but the Greater Los Angeles area is gigantic so who knows if the downtown Angels Boneyard will show up. But I'd like a bit more of a sense of interconnectivity between the various spaces of the Wasteland.

The acting is quite fun, especially Goggins. I do like how Maximus wants to live up to the Brotherhood's ideals but he's also a petty rear end in a top hat. The Brotherhood is just a bunch of dicks at the end of the day. Lucy is the weakest of the three leads, IMO but she's stuck as the player character audience surrogate. Mostly she just hasn't had as much to do as Ghoulggins or Maximus because half her time is dedicated to gawking at the weird surface world. I hope she gets more moments to act like a Vault Dweller because her attempts at diplomacy are funny.

boo boo bear posted:

the mojave chapter was five dudes, the california chapter was much larger and on decent terms with the ncr. I think that's who maximus is a part of.

It looked like the airfield where Maximus was stationed was out by the Great Salt Lake, so further east than the main Brotherhood. Also the Brotherhood and NCR were not on good terms last time around. They teamed up to defeat the Enclave and then declared war on each other after relations fell apart.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Apr 11, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Snuffman posted:

So are vault 33 and 31 connected with each having their own entrance to the outside world? That wasn't 100 percent clear to me.

Also, where does this fall in the timeline? The Brotherhood seems established and they mentioned the Commonwealth (that's Boston right? I just couldn't get into Fallout 4) but also the Enclave is still a thing? The West Coast President died in Fallout 2, Eden in Fallout 3, how many backup Enclave Presidents are there??

The show looks right, but it still falls into the same problems that all Bethesda Fallout stuff fell into in that it was so in love with the iconography of Fallout, it forgot the "why" and neglected to create anything new. I fully expect Super Mutants and FEV to show up just because its "Fallout".

Vaults 33, 32 and 31 are connected underground. There's posters showing the triangular vault system.

The Commonwealth is the colloquial name for the region on the East Coast that includes Boston and new england, but before the Great War the various US States were divided into multiple Commonwealths. California was in the west coast Commonwealth for example.

When Siggi is inside the Enclave base you can spot a Super Mutant arm from a test patient being trollied away on a gurney.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Vaults being full of cousin fuckers is a good bit that even control Vaults would likely have issues with.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

primaltrash posted:

Also Thaddeus' actor is doing a very strong Charlie Day voice.

Johnny Pemberton did show up on an episode of It's Always Sunny.

The dude is in his 40s and still looks and sounds like a 20 something dweeb which is very funny for his role as a Squire.

poo poo I just remembered he was the aide from In The Loop who gets a bollocking by Malcolm Tucker.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Apr 11, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Chillmatic posted:

Which one is the Mary Sue ghoul

Her name is Martha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I liked the show quite a bit with the big caveat that I wish it was set literally anywhere other than California. I'll have a better writeup tomorrow but it's 1am.

Highlights were Ghoulggins, the Vault 33 storyline and Maximus being a general dumbass.

The best way to describe the show is that it is a Bethesda Fallout story if it was written by literally anyone other than Emil Pagliarulo. This is generally a big positive.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Apr 12, 2024