Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Splorange posted:

The post apocalypse has been done to death already. There's not much novelty to mine. With the FalloutTM baggage the worst thing they can do is take themselves seriously.

If it is a generic action show with Fallout aesthetics bolted on to it then it'll probably be pretty forgettable. If it takes itself seriously it'll be very annoying. I hope they lean into the exploration angle and every episode they go around finding new weird poo poo in vaults and bunkers or crazy communes of lunatics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019
It felt very controlled and disciplined and avoided the worst pitfalls. If you have a character who easily dispatches overwhelming enemies with a smirk and a grin then you remove tension from the scene so you can’t also have long protracted action scenes. When you have crazy and silly sci-if elements you can’t take yourself too seriously and also have protracted dramatic emotional scenes. It’s tempting to stuff episodes with that because then you don’t have to worry about progressing the plot or story but they didn’t. It knows what it is and balances it quite well, I think.

I would have liked to take the craziness up a notch but maybe that’s just because I’m familiar with most of the elements so there’s not a lot of novelty. I don’t really care about seeing anything in particular from the games - set it in Detroit or Florida or whatever and just come up with new factions and fauna.

I don’t care about upending stuff from the games but it does seem amusingly unnecessary. I guess now there’s an antagonist people should be invested in.