Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 19 days!)

I'm kind of looking forward to this. All the casting and promo stuff I've seen is promising and I do like the Fallout world, I just don't like Bethesda writing so I dipped out of the series after New Vegas. Looks like a good and less time consuming way to go back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

walton goggins saying 'you've never been on a ride like this before' makes me worry he doesn't respect the show cos it's such a cliche promo line but only need to wait a week or so to find out.

Laterite posted:

Took me way too long to clock that the lead actor played Jackie on Yellowjackets, which has piqued my interest even more. She did was fantastic and Jackie did nothing wrong.

yeah, she was the stand out of that show for me which I stopped watching after season 1 cos it seemed like it was going in a really stupid direction. some actors just have an ability to rise above material and make you care when you wouldn't otherwise.

so between the trio of her, goggins and mclachlan it's going to have to really stink to not be entertaining.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Arc Hammer posted:

If this show turns out to be bad I expect it'll be bad in the way most modern 8-12 episode season shows are bad, not because the showrunners dont understand fallout. Poorly prioritized storytelling, obnoxious cliffhanger episode endings, inexplicable filler episodes despite having a limited runtime, and a structural split between telling a tight, cohesive narrative and wanting to explore a broad canvas of all the franchise iconography and "stuff".

just coming from the invincible S2 thread which has every single on of these issues. shogun has all of them, too. just two currently airing examples which are otherwise pretty quality shows.

it's the formula. every show uses it nowadays. but every part of the formula are consistently the worst parts of the show.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

the sooner i can get ghoulin the better

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

looks like it's 2am tonight in the UK, and about 9pm tonight in the US

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Just watched episode 1. Really enjoyed it - all of it, actually. Not a single scene I didn't at least somewhat enjoy.

The destruction in Vault 33 actually made me sad because they'd done such a nice job of making me care in about 15 minutes. I'm glad we seem to be sticking with that place as a part of the show. Also very efficient setup of mystery with the 'you look like your mother' from the Raider leader, Overseer knowing who she was but not at first, and this Enclave talk. Hooks well planted.

The part I was most whatever on was the Brotherhood of Steel stuff, but it actually turned me around on it all pretty quickly. I especially liked the interrogation scene between Maximus and the Elder, who was very good.

Everybody on the show has watchability. It didn't lean too far into goofy at all, at least not for me. Goofiness is definitely in the mix but it's not suffocating the thing and it's more just comic relief.

I'm not huge on the Fallout games, and I don't know the lore particularly well, only completed 3+New Vegas, but I do like the world. I'm sure there will be a lot of discussion about how it matches up with that, but I'm gonna be happy to stay out of it and just take the show on its own merits.

Some really nice music, too, especially in the Brotherhood of Steel scenes.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

also thought the whole joke with lucy fooling around with her cousin all her life was good. 'we have rules about that for a reason' was a great line delivery.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

The only issue I have with full season drops vs weekly is that there are people who literally hit play the second this thing was uploaded and watched all 8 episodes in a row through the night, because it's been out for a total of 10 hours right now, and are posting about the whole season which is nearly that long.

I mean I can't stop em, and maybe I'd binge a season immediately in the .right circumstances, but the thing I like about weekly or at least staggered releases is it lets everybody have some time to get to the same point and talk about it for a while. Cos as it is, it's like, spoilers could be for ep1 or something that happens in the last 10 seconds.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Are all the episode runtimes as inaccurate as the first one? Cos it says ep1 is 74 minutes but it is like 60 minutes and then 14 minutes of credits and a season trailer for some reason.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Just finished ep3.

So far this is just a lot of fun. It's the best version of what it is that it could possibly be, I think.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

you know what i especially like at least about these first 3 episodes is - it's all centered on one plot line. we have different threads to follow here, and in a lot of shows at least one of them would feel like a drag because usually they aren't directly connected and tend to connect up only later on. this can be an especially deflating problem in action/adventure shows like this.

but here, they've tied everybody's storyline into the same 'quest' so everything feels relevant, there's no sense of having to wait for the important part to resume

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

just watched ep 4. i actually love this show.

it's a shame everybody is talking about games vs show or whatever, i'm not seeing many posts on the actual story and characters at all and they're really good!

ep4 spoilers

The vault exploration was so good, just like an episode of star trek where they find an abandoned ship in space, but a lot more violent. I'm really curious what the whole mystery is, they've got me hooked on this. The stuff with Glen and the pregnant lady was hilarious, too. The ONLY beat I'm not liking in the show so far is Zac Cherry's stuff but that's mostly just because I've seen enough of him the past few years, and him and the other guy are jokes which aren't making me laugh, unlike the rest of the jokes.

I love the way the Ghoul is characterised - they have been really coy in making everything he does seem completely depraved to both the viewer and Lucy at first, but then the viewer gets a little more info and realises various things like - he didn't offer her any water earlier because it was irradiated, he didn't kill the dog in fact he saved it, his friend roger was turning and it was a mercy kill which he made the most out of. The only truly awful thing he's done is trade Lucy in, but then, he is literally at death's door so he was desperate. I'm not saying he's a good guy, I just like how they've put these tricky limits on how bad he is, planting the seeds for the revival of the man he used to be, which is now in progress via his interactions with Lucy.

lucy: 'why do you live like this'
ghoul: 'well one good question deserves another'

I hope they get more into this question when Lucy and the Ghoul meet again, or just at some point.

I also love the way they're portraying Lucy becoming hardened to the wasteland, but not throwing away her morality. I mean, she never will, the Ghoul will be wrong and she'll end up changing him just as her dad hoped they would in episode 1. The way this show is following its themes so consistently and being so playful with them is great.

Although I'm not a big fan of the rude language Lucy used at the end of the episode. That kind of thing is fine for some folks, but.

non-spoiler version: the writing is actually really good, on a character and plot level. also the music is great (not the olde timey songs, those are whatever, the actual score)

I hope they have some depths to plumb for this as the season goes on in terms of exploring the theme.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Apr 13, 2024

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

yeah the show is great and it's making me want to play a fallout game, too. i've played 3 and new vegas but it was one time when they were both new so i dunno whether i should just load up new vegas with some mods or try 4 which i've never played at all.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

the actor who plays maximus does a really good job. he's very funny and interesting to watch, his reactions to things are often not what you'd expect and i like how him and lucy complement each other by being completely ignorant of different things.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah it's not a hopeless show. Lucy does a lot of the heavy lifting in that area, but all 3 of the major characters are sympathetic.

The scene you had trouble with in ep1 is probably the most brutal part of the show so far (up through ep6 for me). I was hit by it too - it does feel a bit like you're supposed to be laughing at the pain, but I think it at least numbs you a bit to know not to take every incident of violence from then on as seriously as you might in other shows. There's a definite attitude of having fun with things through everything, and it's not a grimdark nihilistic show at all.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

I saw somebody say earlier this might be the best video game adaptation ever, and if it holds up in the last 2 episodes, I probably agree.

Last Of Us jumps to mind as obvious competition but it is true that the game was basically a movie anyway, and it adapted things very directly - and where it diverged, it had mixed results. At the end of that show, having played the game, I thought well it was cool to get a live action version of this, but I didn't feel much on the way, cos I've seen all of this before and some of it was done better with 3D models. They also excised almost all of the gameplay elements, which harmed the pacing because the story was paced for that. It was the obvious and more respectable way to do it - just make the cutscenes and fill in the gaps with more talking.

With this, though, not that I'm a Fallout expert, but they've managed to preserve everything that is enjoyable about the games while building an original story of their own. It's the way the show has integrated the fun of gameplay into its storytelling that is impressing me most, I don't think I've ever seen that done successfully. I've seen it done in a gimmicky way, like putting a mario level in the mario movie, but this show has managed to evoke the game without just literally emulating it on the screen. Instead, they've woven all of these gameplay, exploration and worldbuilding elements into the fabric of the plot. Everything is serving the story.

This is how it should be done if you're going to do it.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Apr 14, 2024

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

I'm pausing mid episode 7 to post in appreciation for something they did with a common story beat

after max and lucy return the fusion core to vault 4, max confesses he isn't a real knight and let a guy die. 95% of the time, a confession like this would be a moment in the story where lucy is disgusted and she and max are now at a distance and something has to happen for him to re-prove himself to her. but instead, the show just says nah gently caress it waste of time, lucy gets it. she immediately overlooks it and they remain as close as they are.

not only does that make me like lucy even more but the show has just skipped what would've been a very boring episode of them fighting over something stupid which is completely understandable.

also the twist that vault 4 is actually just super weird and not evil at all was great.

show rules

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

grobbo posted:

Yeah, the bit with "...so wait, you guys USE advanced technology in order to FIND advanced technology so nobody else can USE advanced technology? What??" "Ha ha, yeah, it is a bit weird, I guess" was frustrating writing, because it's not weird or confusing at all! Take this opportunity to explain what you believe!

I dunno, it kind of worked for me because Maximus is actually pretty stupid so a sentence like that would probably twist his brain into knots at least in the moment. He also has the whole unquestioning thing going on, in a lot of ways he's still got the mind of a child when he and Lucy meet. You can see it by how much he smiles at the dumbest things relating to the power armor, it's really all he wants, some power. He definitely hasn't thought too deeply about the overall philosophy of the Brotherhood, and also, he's immediately attracted to Lucy and confused by this so he doesn't want to argue with her.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Finished the season.

Whole thing was excellent, start to finish. Every plot thread landed. One of the most consistent seasons I've seen in ages and it sets up the story to continue in season 2 perfectly.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Well yeah, she's experientially naive, but not temperamentally - she's clearly intelligent. As she gets exposed to more and more dangerous situations, her responses become smarter because she knows what she's dealing with. She just didn't know before.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

couple episode 8 points, one question and one speculation

question:
i blanked on how the brotherhood found out moldaver/the head were at the observatory. lucy had a tracker on the head, but max didn't, right? or at least i don't remember them discussing this. how did max know where lucy and the head was to point the brotherhood to the observatory?

speculation:
i'm guessing moldaver was in one of the vaults, which is why she is still alive after 200 years? i wasn't clear on if the pods they lived in kept them in statis for 200 years or if some of these people have extreme longevity like ghouls. either way, moldaver says 'if you only let the bad guys be hypocritical, they win', so i'm guessing this is her reasoning for going undercover in one of the vaults and escaping after she woke up?

she couldn't have been in vault 31 because hank didn't immediately know who she was, nor did anybody else, only by reputation, so she must've been from another vault.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Tankbuster posted:

One of the concept arts shown at the ep 8 credits shows commercially available cryogenic storage. Given that her work got brought out, she had the means to secure a spot somewhere. By the time the show starts Moldaver is clearly a known figure in the Wasteland.

yeah i'm guessing everybody was timed to wake up 200 years later, going by the age hank was pre-vault to now, about 19 years would fit and it's 219 years since the bombs fell, so moldaver has had 19 years to ascend to her position at the start of the series.

although i guess this would mean lucy is only 19, if hank and rose had her in the first year of waking up? i suppose that's believable. although her brother looks about 30. eh, maybe it wasn't exactly 200 years.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Tankbuster posted:

I liked the brother's character.

yeah so did I, one of the many positive surprises throughout the show. initially he seems like he's just going to be a one episode goober, cowering from danger, but his performance ended up having a lot of internality and his actions throughout were compelling. looking forward to seeing what he does next.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

end spoilers:

another cool thing was how lucy says earlier that she believed that the light in the vault crop field was actually the sun when she was little, and then at the end she/we realise that it actually was because she was with her mother in shady sands. she just recontextualised the memory. pretty nice way to have the betrayal of her dad hit home. also really good writing to sprinkle that in as justified exposition in an earlier episode and then bring it back as part of the ending revelations.

it's all so tidy.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

The games probably make this specific but I understood the aesthetics being stuck in the 1950s as due to the world of Fallout diverging from ours around that time - where the cold war didn't stay cold, but ramped up, and America never progressed in its mentality from 1950 onwards. So technology evolved from there, beyond what we have now in many ways, but stayed in the past in other ways, and ideology and culture also stayed put, until everything got nuked sometime in the mid 21st century.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

ah hell, i just got fallout 4: goty version.

i avoided it when it came out because people said it was bad, but come to think of it, they said that about 3 too and i liked it. plus if the amount of nerd whining the show has gotten is any indication, i'm gonna enjoy it anyway.

i think i'll load it up with some mods beforehand, must be some good ones in the decade since it came out.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

One world related thing I think they could work on, although it's kinda too late, is that being a ghoul is way too good of a deal right now. You only need to procure what seems to be a fairly plentiful daily dose of a drug which I'm assuming is still being manufactured to some extent since it's 200 years later and a couple of bums have boxes of it lying around.

Do that, and you're immortal, and very hard to kill compared to a normal human - immune to radiation, and can regenerate pretty much any injury including severed body parts. It seems like the only way to kill a ghoul would be to cut off it's head, or something. Cooper shrugs off several bullet wounds in the Filly showdown, and Thadeus instantly regenerates from a fatal neck impalement.

The downsides are only - need the drug or you go crazy, and also you start turning ugly but in the wasteland, who really gives a poo poo?

edit: Like a good downside might be, regardless of the drug, ghouls periodically go insane/cannibalistic and then calm down to their original persona, but remember it all, so end up sort of crazy anyway. So if you're a ghoul there's always say, 25% of the time you're just not in control of your behaviour. Although that's a total rewrite, just an idea.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Apr 15, 2024

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

They might've killed Moldaver too early. There's still a lot of juice left in the story around her and now if they choose to fill it in via flashbacks or exposition, it's going to feel a lot less pertinent. I wouldn't mind if it was just some random mob boss/cult leader who was built up and then dispatched, but she's personally connected with Lucy, the Ghoul, Hank, Rose, and Vault-Tec in a big way that did not get fully explored.

It's not a huge loss for the show cos there are plenty of other avenues of interest, I just think it's weird they decided to kill her.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

it's not even implausible. there aren't that many people left, vault-tec are the single most important entity in the world and will have their hands in everything, all of these people lived in the same area before/after the bombs fell and have unfinished business with each other and the same current objective...people are going to interact. we're following max because he's the BoS guy who meets lucy, we don't follow some soldier who does nothing of note and isn't relevant.

what's the alternative, a version of the story where while all of lucy's stuff is going down, the ghoul by chance is in boston dealing with something unrelated and never gets resolution on his history? we skip over 200 years of that stuff for a reason. it's a story. we don't have infinite time to portray the random and pointless nature of reality.

it isn't even like they tie every single side character, and there are lots, is tied into the central plotline. some are tangentially connected logically, some have their own thing going on entirely.

it's just a weird complaint. oh great, this main character is doing something related to another main character. this world is so tiny.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 16, 2024

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Aurubin posted:

I haven't seen it brought up but I really liked the BoS cleric, in as much as he was a piece of poo poo. That said, it was neat watching him manipulate? Max into giving up the location of the bubble fusion McGuffin. I'm bad at reading people to begin with, but I think he sounded sincere? Just that the BoS sucks, so obviously them having cold fusion isn't in the long-term benefit of anyone not in the BoS of course.

yeah that elder had some gravitas. i don't recognise the actor but it feels like i should.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Played about 20 hours of Fallout 4 since finishing the series. The series is far better. I enjoy the gameplay, kinda (i ignore alot of it, crafting bullshit etc), but the problem is the writing is just completely uninteresting. All the interest comes from the world itself, and the writing they provide to propel you along the various stories is just kinda lifeless and bone dry. It feels like a very 'fill this space' kind of writing, where the game wants to give you a 20 minute quest and uh, here's some justification why who cares.

They should get some writers from the show to work on the next Fallout game.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Cooper seems to be aware that there's a chance bombs are going to drop soon, because he refuses to do the Vault-Tec thumbs up pose because of how 'things are right now'. So, it's public knowledge that there's a particular risk of nuclear war at that moment. Which suggests to me, vault-tec didn't drop the bombs, along with the kid and Cooper being out there along with all those other rich people at that house. Vault-Tec et al were beating the war drums but somebody beat them to it, it semi-backfired.

Cooper and his wife are probably on the outs considering where his opinions have turned by the end of the season flashbacks and the fact he's doing party gigs. One of the guys are the party calls him a pinko so presumably his anti-vault tec feelings have cost him his career. So, there is at least some period of time between when Barb suggests nuking as a plan and the nukes falling. Although, it can't be much more than a year because the kid looks the same age.

That's how I took it all.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

One of them said in an interview there's still supposed to be some ambiguity there.

I don't think it would be a rug-pull. It'd be an ironic comeuppance for vault-tec. It'd also make the point of 'this is why you don't warmonger'.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Rubellavator posted:

Everyone is scared of the bombs imminently dropping. In the short few minutes of TV we see we learn that the President is missing, and see the weatherman having a meltdown.

Also Cooper got a divorce, he's paying alimony, and he definitely has some level of custody and Barb might not have a say in either where her daughter is or when the nukes drop, which might not have even been dropped by Vault-tec either.

I forgot about the divorce/alimony part but you're posting this like it's a correction and it's all in agreement with what I said.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Are you mixing up the shady sands bombing with the initial nuclear bombing?

Cos there's no ambiguity that Hank dropped a bomb on Shady Sands, that's pretty much definite. I'm talking about the original world ending bombs. Who dropped those is still open. All we know is Vault Tec had a plan to do it, we don't know if they actually did and I think they didn't.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 24, 2024

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

in retrospect the behaviour in vault 33 of moldaver and the people she chose to use to abduct hank doesn't make a whole lot of sense really. but she doesn't get much development as a character at all so there's room to fill in the gaps, but it requires being charitable.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

I took it as probably being Steph (eye patch lady). She's the only one other than Norm who expresses any inclination towards killing them.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

it also sets up the 0% accuracy of machine gun turrets

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

one of the reasons I enjoyed the series so much is that it didn't feel like an 8 hour movie.

it's funny how the ghoul's comment about getting sidetracked is lampshading how the subplots (gulper, vault 4, organ dealers, etc) are coming from the way the games are structured but it's actually just circled back around to being more like a classic TV show with actual episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

something i'm hoping and expecting to get more of is the transition from cooper to the ghoul post-bomb dropping. i want to see him start out trying to be decent and have events drive him into amorality and even enjoying it - 'i do this poo poo for the love of the game' is a lot different than 'i do these things because i want to find my family one day'

what i'm hoping they don't do, is just have the ghoul soften up more but never show how he became that bad in the first place.