Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
finally, devilled eggs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Megazver posted:

They nuked it, because Todd wanted old fans who think that New Vegas is better that 3&4 to eat poo poo and cry.

why do they hate the supreme storytelling of NV so?

LifeLynx posted:

It's been a while since I read about it, but I think it's someone important's rule (Bethesda?) that the timeline must go forward. So it's over 200 years since the vaults opened and not much has changed because if the world progressed realistically it'd ruin the post-apocalyptic vibe.

realistically there would be no progress. At best you would get junktown because there won't be any resources or industrial capacity to rebuild pristine new things.

Tankbuster fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 8, 2024

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
No seriously. The places in fallout 1 that have new buildings are all built with the GECK. What you would get is 19th century pioneer wooden logs if you want to bring "realism" into a 50s b movie sci fi video game where radiation is functionally equal to Tiberium.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
yeah but we have actual real examples in places where after natural disasters people build things out of scrap. In case of societal collapse there would be no skilled labor and materiel flooding in to fix everything up to a pretty looking state.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
more importantly.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
drat, can you put some juicy deets in spoilers?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
you just had 5 people squatting in a bunker somewhere. Meanwhile east coast had largely transitioned with the BOS overthrowing the enclave in the DC area and providing a huge safe area with free water.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
lucy's brother looks like a bosmer 😭

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Todd howard put out the hit. The premiere with Tim Cain was the Red Wedding.

I like that The brotherhood draw everything on graphing paper and send data via grid.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
That seems like less of a writing and more of a production design issue.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
they could have stenciled an 8.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
currently I am checking reddit and everyone is saying chris avellone should have written the script.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Stinky videogame writer: What if I nuke New Vegas because the post-post-apocalypse is kinda limiting where the game goes

Todd Howard No.

Hollywood showrunner: What if I nuke New Vegas because the post-post-apocalypse is too expensive and hard to shoot
Todd Howard Yes.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Kavak posted:

Can't you just set your next game somewhere else?

No.

I think that was one of the ideas for an expansion that bethesda shut down when obsidian said so.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
dunno. This is better than Masters of the Air so far.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
lmao at michael rapaport being torn apart by a funny bear.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

roomtone posted:

Just watched episode 1. Really enjoyed it - all of it, actually. Not a single scene I didn't at least somewhat enjoy.

The destruction in Vault 33 actually made me sad because they'd done such a nice job of making me care in about 15 minutes. I'm glad we seem to be sticking with that place as a part of the show. Also very efficient setup of mystery with the 'you look like your mother' from the Raider leader, Overseer knowing who she was but not at first, and this Enclave talk. Hooks well planted.

The part I was most whatever on was the Brotherhood of Steel stuff, but it actually turned me around on it all pretty quickly. I especially liked the interrogation scene between Maximus and the Elder, who was very good.

Everybody on the show has watchability. It didn't lean too far into goofy at all, at least not for me. Goofiness is definitely in the mix but it's not suffocating the thing and it's more just comic relief.

I'm not huge on the Fallout games, and I don't know the lore particularly well, only completed 3+New Vegas, but I do like the world. I'm sure there will be a lot of discussion about how it matches up with that, but I'm gonna be happy to stay out of it and just take the show on its own merits.

Some really nice music, too, especially in the Brotherhood of Steel scenes.

the goofiness so far is well placed in context. The pre-war stuff is surprisingly decent.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
maximus being a petty rear end in a top hat is really charming. His power armor testing montage is pretty good characterization too, just trying to larp as a storybook knight.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
he should never have picked out the fallout IP.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
What makes you think they are gonna set more games on the west coast? Obsidian is off making their own IP. Avowed looks neat and Bethesda has repeatedly said they aren't interested in other studios handling their IPs or setting fallout stuff on the west coast.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Megazver posted:

Microsoft owns Bethesda now. (And Obsidian and Inxile.) There are no official statements to point at, for obvious reasons, but it kinda seems like MS has slowly been getting more and more hands-on with Bethesda after Redfall bombed and Starfield failed to meet expectations. Like, after SF came out they actually put an exec from MS above Todd in the BGS hierarchy.

And, sure, they might just let Bethesda let the Fallout IP lay fallow for a decade as they're working on Elder Scrolls just as there is a hit tv show bringing the IP to the public's eye, but I dunno, if I was MS I'd personally start looking into letting other studios have a go. Might not be Obsidian, even if they are an obvious choice, but I'd take anyone tbh, as long as someone's actually working on a new game.

I mean.... *points at the TV show*

Microsoft did all that because a bunch of senior bethesda developers left after 20+ years of working at the same company, having their stock options appreciate after microsoft acquired zenimax.

Also EP3 laughing at the hack scriptwriter being named emil. Its a good joke.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
The setpiece in ep4 was very nicely done.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Mandrel posted:

is No Mutants Allowed still around? I feel like a whole new generation of dweeb needs to be quarantined there to spare the rest of us.

you can go to r/fallout.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
loling at the ep5 elections

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Rabid Snake posted:

As a huge fan of fallout 1,2 and New Vegas, the depiction of the west coast has been so disappointing. They should’ve just stuck to the east coast. Oh well it’s not like Bethesda was going to make another west coast based fallout nor would I trust them with the geopolitics involved.

New Vegas was lightning in the bottle and it didn’t even involve Bethesda.

its a rotten corrupt government like NV described.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
hahaha

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
the vault 4 rugpull was incredible

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
shady sands was adobe huts. Junktown was people living in scrap metal sheets.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
if anything this show solves one of the biggest problems facing the NCR.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

dr_rat posted:

(ep8)Existing? Although, yeah the New, New Calfionian Republic will have all the power it needs I guess. If any of it still exists. With how big the NCR seemed to be big though by the time of New vegas just blowing up one city and it collapsing doesn't seem to make much sense. It certainly seemed to have just a whole bunch of towns all over the place.

well that and (ep7)has stuff with the former rangers scrounging post retirement.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Entorwellian posted:

The post-war scenes are like the game and I could kind of turn my brain off that those parts, but the pre-war ones had a lot of intrigue and a lot of neat details. It helped flesh out how hosed the world was in reality vs. the idealism of the retro future coming to a head. They really nailed it in the introduction, especially.

The actual details in stuff is always charming (ep1)those bounty hunters having a superstition for checking whether or not a ghoul is feral with their chicken test.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Doltos posted:

That's not a really good read on any of the characters at all

You would be better off mapping those characters to 3d fallout protagonists. Lucy is the fallout 3 character, - dad leaves vault and she goes out to find him. Ghoulgins is the fallout 4 protagonist in that he is a prewar relic out to find his family which makes maximus the courier.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
theres a lot of funny gag kills but I miss my havok physics vibrating bodies a tad.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
If anything, their take on the BoS was far more egregious because they used the Discourse Version of the brotherhood which treats them as Fascist(tm)

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

koolkal posted:

The show ends with the NNCR (Flame Mother edition) getting wiped out since it seems like the remnants have already accepted that the previous NCR is gone. I guess we could see a NNNCR resistance movement but there's no reason for them to exist anymore when the BoS (Caesar's Legion edition) controls a cold fusion-powered LA and is shown to be perfectly fine with wiping out a town that doesn't pledge allegiance. Considering they just wiped out most of the remaining NCR there's no reason to think they would allow any NCR towns to remain; they would all become BoS towns now (or be wiped out).

Also, on a related note, it's somewhat funny that this version of the Brotherhood apparently has no female members around? The implications seem rather disturbing ala Ceasar's Legion but they do have a high-ranking enby person apparently so I'm curious about what exactly is going on here.

everyone knows that when the brits burnt down the white house the USA ceased to exist.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

koolkal posted:

Is this really the best analogy you could come up with?

No, its an off the cuff remark for people who are going around saying "Todd howard personally killed Fallout 1,2 and New Vegas with his bare hands."

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
I just want to see what people thought of the show. All I am getting is "NCRBROS, GODD HAS BANISHED US INTO THE MOJAVE"

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

dr_rat posted:

There's quite a few people saying the like the first four better. There's a slight shift in the feel of the show from the frount four and the back half, so I think it might just be a personal preference thing.

the first 4 episodes are about doing sidequests. Last four are about completing the game.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Rabid Snake posted:

Todd Howard wanted "Post Apocalypse" setting but set it 220 years after the bombs dropped like in the east coast. Like what? There was progression

yeah but building things requires resources, energy and technical knowledge. The latter is collected by the BoS and slowly trickles into the wasteland according to the ending of game 1. The former is something the world explicitly lacks. People living in favelas makes as much sense as them living in adobe huts. The energy stuff is mentioned in the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Its a frontier where the actual thriving place is explicitly protected by an ayn rand character's benevolence because it was his pet project. Freeside is a mess. There's a bunch of destroyed towns and the most functional city was built by NCR colonists moving eastwards.