Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

:toxx::toxx: Fallout the streaming show is coming April 11th on Amazon Prime, with all episodes dropping at once. So, here’s a place to talk about it! :toxx::toxx:

Teaser trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kQ8i2FpRDk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-mugKDQDlg

Starring:

Ella Purnell as the Vault Dweller

Aaron Moten as Brotherhood of Steel initiate Maximus

Walton Goggins as The Ghoul

Kyle MacLachlan as Overseer Hank

And other people too!

Fallout is a (I think) pretty well-known video game series at this point. The games are set in a post nuclear war America, where society at the time of the bombing was embracing a retro 50s style of American pop culture, white picket fences and microwave dinners. You play as a member of a society of people who escaped death by being lucky enough to win/buy a spot in a Vault-Tech brand Vault.
If you are truly unfamiliar with the setting, here’s the intro cinematic from the first Fallout game from 1997:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geLiEiAiQJA

Hundreds of years pass, something goes wrong in the Vault, and your character has to leave to explore the world that has crawled up out of the nuclear ash and maybe save the day? The wasteland is a dangerous place filled with radiation, monsters, radiation monsters, and colorful folk that might try and eat you.

Like the games, the show follows one of these Vault Dwellers as they explore the wastelands of LA and Hollywood, looking for… something. There’s also a faction of technology hoarding “knights” who call themselves the Brotherhood of Steel, sometimes portrayed in the games as good guys and other times as thugs whose bad side you don’t want to be on. I don’t really know much of the overarching plot, they haven’t said and I am not a spoiler reader so if you know keep it to yourself until April 12th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Owling Howl posted:

I hope they lean into the exploration angle and every episode they go around finding new weird poo poo in vaults and bunkers or crazy communes of lunatics.

It's clearly not going to be this, but based on the teaser trailer they might show one other vault, the one where Chris Parnell seems to be a cyclops overseer.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

LifeLynx posted:

Three vaults that we know of so far from the trailers. The one the main character is from, the one where everyone went 28 Days Later (lady with the machine gun from the teaser is shown in the trailer with an eye patch), and the Chris Parnell cyclops one.

I think those first two you are talking about is the same place but I guess we'll find out in a month!

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
They are dropping all 8 episodes at once so cliffhanger episodes shouldn't be an issue but I'm sure there will be a cliffhanger season ending, like super mutants show up or something in the stinger.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Only have time for two episodes tonight, but it really does seem to understand the feeling of the Bethesda games pretty well.

Now, that isn't necessarily a positive to some people, but I am enjoying it.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

TheBuilder posted:

The Little Price of Lies strikes again.

I did really like the production design - excluding the extras in Filly - it same Xena/Hercules frumpy extras walking around looking like cosplayers (Mando is also guilty of this).

People said this about wheel of time too and I need to ask, when was the last time you actually watched Xena/Hercules because they production values and design work of modern shows is a million times better than mid 90s serialized stuff that was shot on very small budgets to be intentionally sold for syndication.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Whoa, next you're gonna tell me that amazon only made the show to sell fallout merchandise and Amazon prime subscriptions!

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Worst part of the show is now I wanna replay all of the fallout games and I don't have the time for that

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Tankbuster posted:

will there be protectrons?

In the ending credits of the last episode there are broken Securitrons shown during the pull out through New Vegas

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Imagine four episodes on the playlist of a streaming service. Say a direct copy of the episode nearest the playlist is sent to the back of the line of episodes and takes the place of the first episode. The formerly first episode becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the fourth falls off the playlist.

Prime video works the same way.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Imo the way 32 stuff went down is that the vault 32 dwellers find out the truth about the experiment and revolt against the overseer, causing a civil war that ends up killing them all. months/years later, moldaver uses rose's old pipboy to gain access to vault 32, finds everyone already dead, and begins communicating with vault 33 as the new overseer, however many weeks/months pass and the show begins

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Apr 16, 2024

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Faucet Drinker posted:

Based on the way people had died I'm pretty sure they were gassed or something. Given the nature of the experiment there is almost certainly an abort system involved that just kills everyone in the vault. People being mid-violence in all those scenarios suggests they all died during the main aggression. How does someone still have their hands on the throat otherwise, if they were shot or meleed they'd likely slumped over.

Possibly. But remember that Fallout as a series has a long tradition of skeletons found in media res even after 200 years sitting out in the wastelands so it could just be homage to that, too. I'm sure we'll learn more in season 2 though.

e: Just bumping around in the last episode and Hank was unfrozen on August 9, 2268.

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 16, 2024

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Just for fun here's what the computer readout at the end of episode 8 says:

Reactivated
Patricia Peters
Alexander Boamer
Laurence Ronald
Ian Jackson
Betty Pearson
Hank MacLean
Stephanie Harper

Dormant
Elmer Green
Chase Powell
Joan Polansky
Thomas Hamilton
Victoria Alexander
Chloe Glass
Kathryn Cep
Christyn Mari
Francesca Mahajan
Casey Schulz
Arthur Wormeley
March Sherwood
Maximillian Dottino
Tatyana Lee
Claire Feldman
Archibald Sachs
Joanne Wormwood
Joseph Moerder

However the number of people "reactivated" is less than the number of empty cryotubes that are show in the wide shots (I count at least 10 empties) so either there were some extra tubes or some people weren't accounted for in the log or it's just a production oversight, which happens a lot even when shows pay attention to those details!

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Grand Fromage posted:

Ending I don't think the Legion's going to be around, it'd be neat to see some but I doubt it. NCR depends on what they've done there since it's unclear. Since House was in the conspiracy meeting and Hank I guess thinks he can get help in Vegas, I think that points to the House ending as what they're going with. Probably the most interesting possibilities grow from that one anyway.

I actually thought there was going to be a reveal that Maximus was a child of the remnants of the legion, hence his name and being brought into the Brotherhood as an orphan. they have to factor into season 2 in some way, even if it's only a reference like most of the NCR stuff this season.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
brain on a roomba says "you only have half of Hank MacLean's DNA" after scanning him, so yeah he is at least Hank's son so we can kinda assume he's Lucy's brother unless her parentage is a lie for some reason

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Owlbear Camus posted:

I agree with you but you should ignore the fanbase and play NV because it's a really good Fallout game.

Yeah, I don't give a gently caress about continuity across games from 25 years and multiple developers but New Vegas is loving dope as hell. I'm already hyping myself up to hear some of those music drops

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0ofuXYkYi0

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
There are both in the games, pre-war people who are ghoulies and post war peeps who were ghoulified from a variety of sources.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

zoux posted:

e: oh, what was your guys' favorite joke in the series?

When you say hot shower what does that mean exactly?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Avalerion posted:

Has the series just kind of retconned things so that everyone alive in the wasteland currently isn't from a vault at some point in their descent? Like... Shady Sands was just people from Vault 15.

New Vegas shows that there are areas of the world that didn't get hit by nukes and people do immigrate/emigrate around. People would naturally be drawn to an area that is offering safety and stability like the NCR.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I think the show does a good job at condemning hypocritical ways of thinking and acting. Vault-Tec destroys the world to "save it". Hank raises his children to have morals and principles and when asked to live up to that by example, he crumbles and leaves. Both Lucy and Norm idolize Hank, Lucy: If my dad knew I had taken a fusion core from a vault and damned everyone living in it, I couldn't look him in the eyes Norm: if my dad was here he would be the first one to feed the raider prisoners hope lies in the young generation, one brought up to act out their morals instead of just giving them empty lip service when things are convenient. Lots of stuff going on in my personal life ATM that really reinforces the idea that we are judged by our actions when things are hard, not the poo poo we say when things are essy.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

dr_rat posted:

Funnier still, it's just a lovely one strap thing, it's not even a proper backpack. Like that sort of weight over long distances, over one shoulder, that's seriously gonna gently caress up your back. It was just one of those nice subtle details that went into showing how poo poo at every level the Brotherhood of Steel is in this period.

They look like golf caddies chasing after some rich rear end in a top hat

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Not green screen, he had a nose piece that had tracking dots on it

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Whenever you notice something like that, a robot did it

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Bip Roberts posted:

So moldaver had a team of fully feral raiders who are 100% uncivilizable but also is leading the very much organized and rule governed remnants of the NCR. Also how did so many of the raiders get captured after the vault raid, they left the remaining vault dwellers from a position of power, why did they just abandon like 30 of them?

The ones that weren't killed were hit with tranquilizer darts.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
One of the guys at the party said he heard rumors he was a commie so his career is probably done at that point.

Something I noticed watching a youtube clip, cooper is wearing the remains of his cowboy costume under his jacket. I don't know if it was real obvious to others in another scene and I am just oblivious though hah

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Back Hack posted:

The government through censorship and manipulation basically forced the culture of the 60s to trick improvised people (which at this point is most Americans) into thinking that it’s just part of the process of achieving the American dream.

Yes, yes we all know about real life, what about the games?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

DarkLich posted:

Been thinking about Moldaver and some speculation on future plotlines

I'm still not clear on whether she actually brought raiders into Vault 33, or if those were NCR regiments under her command. They seemed to be portrayed as barbarians for most of the season. If they were her better equipped troops, you'd think she would ask the breeder-bait not to rape and murder her friend's daughter.

They were raiders. and hank isn't her friend, she hates vault-tec. they bought her cold fusion tech and boxed it up so no one would use it. plus the whole nuking a city and turning her girlfriend into a ghoul thing

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, "friend" who she kept around as a living corpse, ate dinner with, and lovingly held hands with as she died, saying "we did it". "Friend".

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Arc Hammer posted:

If two women care for each other they're girlfriends that's the rules of fiction.

You're bad at watching what is shown on the screen, apparently

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Arc Hammer posted:

You're bad at detecting sarcasm, apparently.

On the internet? Yes.

Off the internet? Also yes.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Seems pretty likely we will get more of the past in season 2 so maybe some more expansion on that considering how important Shady Sands is to all of the characters. But also fallout 3 and 4 have antagonists with real paper thin motivations so let's call it a loving homage to the source materials.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Tankbuster posted:

The master is a mad scientist that makes orcs to terrorize the people. None of the fallouts have stories where the bad guy is depression or anything.

seems like a pretty solid motivation to me

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Vegetable posted:

I think I’d die living as a brain on roomba in seclusion for 200 years. I wonder if it’ll be revealed whether he chose this fate.

He's a junior executive, as long as the boss is happy and the investors are seeing a good roi he probably cut his own skull open.

Also re spoiler usage, tviv rule of thumb is a week for full drop shows so don't feel obligated to use them if you don't want to. Some people still do out of habit but it's not required at this point.

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Apr 26, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Mokotow posted:

Moldaver is such a bizarre surname for this character - not that Fallout ever gave too much poo poo about names. It’s apparently a derivative of “from Moldova”, of Jewish origin and mostly prevalent in Canada. Judging by how hard it is to spell or remember for most goons, you’d almost expect there should be more to it.

She goes by Miss Williams in the flashbacks. Considering how much of Coopers story we still don't really know, I hope/assume there will be more about everything in season 2.