Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Phrenology; you old farts are putting waay too much thought into head-shapes determining behavior when the only real rule is giant melon head = genius

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

TrashMammal posted:

only then will you know the true wisdom of maturity :haibrow:

Little Baby Buddha Funko

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

DamnCanadian posted:

I’m pretty old; I went to college in the 80s, and even back then we were bitching about why was COBOL a required course instead of C++

now the us govt has punchcard backend’s running the cia’s email servers that nobody can figure out cause every COBOL coder is 94 yrs old.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Time to upgrade the CIA to the cloud!

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Wendigee posted:

Time to upgrade the CIA to the cloud!

they did that back in 2013. diversified to multi-cloud back in 2020

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

https://forums.somethingawful.com/query.php?action=results&qid=1710124758

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

Grey Cat posted:

I had to learn how to write cursive, a check and balance a checkbook in elementary school. Then proceeded to never need to write a check in my life lol. The few times I've needed a check I just get a cashier's check and that's it.

i wrote a check yesterday, in real life, no jokes :colbert:

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
cults. you're tellin me i gotta pay to listen to someone's ideas on reality?? and i have to do work for free???

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

milling grains to make flour. like ok there’s a big stone wheel and water and a water wheel too but I still just really don’t get it

foraging. did you know that yew tree is hella poisonous? like, that tree is super poison. so many plants are just poison. seems like a lot to remember and one mistake can just kill u. seems crazy

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

TrashMammal posted:

they did that back in 2013. diversified to multi-cloud back in 2020

:hmmno:

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

rock and roll, like Elton John or billy Joel type music. I don’t get it

also the guy with the big red nose in the bugs bunny cartoons, and like,at least half of the caricatures they do. Who are those guys. they seem silly so they’re cool in my book (:

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
what's the deal with ads for starving kids in africa, like don't they get free iphones and thinkpads?? meanwhile they're taking lunch AWAY from kids in the US!!!

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Britches, pantaloons, jodhpurs, culottes, plus-fours, and wearing a neck-tie to work.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Doctor Dogballs posted:

i wrote a check yesterday, in real life, no jokes :colbert:

Were you the old lady in front of us at Walmart that held up the line for 10 minutes trying to write a check for a few dollars of groceries?

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

Come this autumn, we'll be miles away...

Grey Cat posted:

I had to learn how to write cursive, a check and balance a checkbook in elementary school. Then proceeded to never need to write a check in my life lol. The few times I've needed a check I just get a cashier's check and that's it.

Maybe this is what was going on with my old roommate. So they had their bank mail them a check to pay their rent with, which sounds roundabout but they set it up to be automatic and monthly, so maybe it was easier. Except... it wasn't actually monthly; it was happening every 28 days. So a year in, their bank account has no money in it, and after someone explained why, they couldn't do anything about it until one of the issued cashier's checks had expired.

Which reminds me that I've (briefly) lived with two other people who were weird about rent checks. One dude insisted on paying using google wallet for some reason, which sucked because someone else had to get the money out of google wallet so they could cut a check for the landlord. The other is my favorite though - a subletter who refused on principal to pay the $5 or whatever it was for their bank to send them a checkbook. So when rent came due, they paid in cash - after spending several hours walking around the city, hitting each ATM for the withdrawal limit.

Cryomancer
Jan 22, 2005

Indeed.

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

now the us govt has punchcard backend’s running the cia’s email servers that nobody can figure out cause every COBOL coder is 94 yrs old.

Punchcard Backend is a great username.

I remember having a typewriter that kept a line's worth of type in memory so you could go back and correct things on a tiny LCD before hitting the carriage return.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Duvets, like what’s the fuckin point

E: duvet in the American sense as a cover that goes over your comforter

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

You take that back.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

E: duvet in the American sense as a cover that goes over your comforter

I’ve never understood the thin flat sheet that lays between one’s body and the top comforter/blanket. I’ve never used one and don’t intend to ever. Seems like more poo poo to wrinkle and tug on you when you’re trying to get into the sweet spot of hell yeah before falling asleep. Only a blanket over me and it’s :cloudnine:

They make great covers for outdoor plants when cold snaps happen, though.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Also, fine China.

Everyone’s parents seemed to have a massive and complete set of fine China dishware you never saw used once, or was maybe only ever pulled out at Thanksgiving or Christmas, and that’s a big maybe. Perhaps it was only for display in a China cabinet, which was never touched at any point in your young life. Like, what was the point of owning dishes that never got used?

Straddling that same line, collectible plates with weird poo poo on them like Norman Rockwell paintings or a calendar from 1968 or the Campbell’s soup kids or commemorative plates of John Lennon’s murder or Diana and Charles’s wedding in 1981 and other morbid curiosities. Fuckin’ Beanie Babies of the ‘50s through the ‘80s.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

These milkshake shops are popping up all over. I'm sure 90% of the appeal is social media trend poo poo, but like how do you even approach eating g this thing?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

You Are A Werewolf posted:

I’ve never understood the thin flat sheet that lays between one’s body and the top comforter/blanket. I’ve never used one and don’t intend to ever. Seems like more poo poo to wrinkle and tug on you when you’re trying to get into the sweet spot of hell yeah before falling asleep. Only a blanket over me and it’s :cloudnine:

If I'm in a hotel bed, that thin flat sheet is all that separates you from God knows what, son.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

redshirt posted:

If I'm in a hotel bed, that thin flat sheet is all that separates you from God knows what, son.

Makes sense, but you’re still laying on top of several hundred stranger’s trapped farts and dried fluids.

Don’t turn on the black light, homie.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Makes sense, but you’re still laying on top of several hundred stranger’s trapped farts and dried fluids.

Don’t turn on the black light, homie.

This is why I try and avoid hospitals.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Those beanies with the helicopters on them. Was the idea that you pretended to fly while wearing it, or was it more like a pinwheel where the idea was to make it spin by running around? Did anyone every try to harness the wind power to grind grain in their hat with tiny millstones?

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Jimlit posted:

These milkshake shops are popping up all over. I'm sure 90% of the appeal is social media trend poo poo, but like how do you even approach eating g this thing?

old people have to keep their blood sugar up

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

wearing jeans or any other stiff, lovely clothes when you're sitting around at home

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Same, and if you want to buy new sheets, you're pretty much forced to buy a pack that includes the flat sheet. From what I've seen, the fitted sheets that are sold individually are always the lowest quality ones only.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Grey Cat posted:

I learned in highschool and my reaction to this day is "How the absolute gently caress do people not know how to do this or balance a check book holy poo poo"

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Also Seinfeld and like half the actor/famous people deaths people post. I was born in the mid 1990s

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Variety shows. People used to gather around the TV and watch these?! With their full attention?! I would 100% rather do olde timey chores than bleed my life force into watching an old man sing next to a bubble machine for an hour.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Telsa Cola posted:

I learned in highschool and my reaction to this day is "How the absolute gently caress do people not know how to do this or balance a check book holy poo poo"

I could still do it if I had to but I don't even own a checkbook. :shrug: Just never had a need to.
There was a few times when I was younger that it would have been convenient to have a check but most of the stuff I've needed checks for required a cashier check anyways. Now 99% of the time it's just convenient to use a card of some sort over a check.

Though once while I was working at a staples there was some weird card system outage for about 48hrs. The only thing we could accept was cash or check so I guess checks were pretty convenient at that time in particular for the few old people that came in.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Das Boo posted:

Variety shows. People used to gather around the TV and watch these?! With their full attention?! I would 100% rather do olde timey chores than bleed my life force into watching an old man sing next to a bubble machine for an hour.

I've never known anyone, my age or older, that enjoyed those shows. I have no idea who those appealed to. Maybe it was just noise for the whole family to watch while they ate tv dinners. No idea

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Jimlit posted:

You got the answer right, but your percentage was too low.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Grey Cat posted:

I could still do it if I had to but I don't even own a checkbook. :shrug: Just never had a need to.
There was a few times when I was younger that it would have been convenient to have a check but most of the stuff I've needed checks for required a cashier check anyways. Now 99% of the time it's just convenient to use a card of some sort over a check.

Though once while I was working at a staples there was some weird card system outage for about 48hrs. The only thing we could accept was cash or check so I guess checks were pretty convenient at that time in particular for the few old people that came in.

Nah I mean that all makes total sense, but filling out a check itself is straight up: recipient, date, the amount, what its for, and your signature. Thats why I get confused when folks dont know how to do it.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Telsa Cola posted:

Nah I mean that all makes total sense, but filling out a check itself is straight up: recipient, date, the amount, what its for, and your signature. Thats why I get confused when folks dont know how to do it.

iirc "balancing a chequebook" involves noting and calculating the transactions that you make with cheques so that you know what the balance of your chequeing account is at any given time, and you know how much mor eyou can write from cheques from it. since that info is digital now, and besides, cutting a cheque is exceedingly rare, it's very much a forgotten "skill"

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

iirc "balancing a chequebook" involves noting and calculating the transactions that you make with cheques so that you know what the balance of your chequeing account is at any given time, and you know how much mor eyou can write from cheques from it. since that info is digital now, and besides, cutting a cheque is exceedingly rare, it's very much a forgotten "skill"

Yeah basically

So if you have 3000 in your checking account and you cut two checks for 100 each, you now have 2800. That's it, its literally subtraction.

I don't think its a forgotten skill, because it takes simple math, I think people just have no idea what it actually means when someone says balance a checkbook.

The only hard part is just being conistent with it.

Edit: as a kid I always saw it portrayed as this ominous and difficult task and when I had a general lifes skills class in HS the teacher spent like 15 minutes on it and I kept waiting for the shoe to drop.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 12, 2024

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

What the Horque?!

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Telsa Cola posted:

Yes, you add your checks together and subtract it from your checking accout total.

So if you have 3000 in your checking account and you cut two checks for 100 each, you now have 2800. That's it, its literally subtraction.

yeah, but there was a bit more to it than that. banks used to take time to clear cheques, so one would often reconcile between bank statements and a chequebook. also, for bills and stuff, having pre-written cheques and pending transactions was important to know the money was going to be there to clear the cheque on time etc.

not rocket science but its not as intuitive as modern ebanking. basically no point to do any of that poo poo now tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

banks and vendors used to be a lot more susceptible to error in the pre-digital age as well so reconciling with ones balanced chequebook at specific dates was important to understand how to do