Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

yeah, but there was a bit more to it than that. banks used to take time to clear cheques, so one would often reconcile between bank statements and a chequebook. also, for bills and stuff, having pre-written cheques and pending transactions was important to know the money was going to be there to clear the cheque on time etc.

not rocket science but its not as intuitive as modern ebanking. basically no point to do any of that poo poo now tho

Lol gonna slot this into me being to young to get that. By the time I had bank account ebanking was pretty solidifed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Variety shows basically became YouTube.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
The groomer we bring our dog to only takes cash or checks so I write one check every 4 to 6 weeks, keeping the check muscles in good form.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

When I was young I had what was called a bank book. You would take this book into the bank, do a transaction, and they would print any other transactions that weren't present in your book. You were expected to go through and check for yourself to see if there was anything amiss and you could then argue your 10 cent difference or whatever.

In my parent's time when they were young, IIRC, this would be hand written and so when you wrote a check you would write the new balance into the book. It was administered by you completely.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

You Are A Werewolf posted:

I’ve never understood the thin flat sheet that lays between one’s body and the top comforter/blanket. I’ve never used one and don’t intend to ever. Seems like more poo poo to wrinkle and tug on you when you’re trying to get into the sweet spot of hell yeah before falling asleep. Only a blanket over me and it’s :cloudnine:
They sit between you and the blanket to absorb stank, then you wash them more often than the blanket (and it's easier because they're less bulky than the blanket is)

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I still write my local town a check or two or more each year, I'm not sure the total number I'd have to check the check register.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

redshirt posted:

I still write my local town a check or two or more each year, I'm not sure the total number I'd have to check the check register.

check the chequebook obviously duh

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

analog clocks. how do they work? crazy stuff!

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

redshirt posted:

Yup forgot about the annual dog licensing. Check for $24 to the town every July.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

check the chequebook obviously duh

See this was also one of the MI traps, and just as obvious.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

no clue how money orders work

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
It's not that the bank doesn't have this information already, it's that you don't trust the bank to not purposely do the math wrong to skim a few bucks off you every month so you do the math yourself. On a physical piece of paper with a pen. Because you grew up during the Great Depression and you still think that is how banks work.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

GoutPatrol posted:

no clue how money orders work

It’s a check but you pay the Post Office two bucks to write it for you

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

You Are A Werewolf posted:

I’ve never understood the thin flat sheet that lays between one’s body and the top comforter/blanket. I’ve never used one and don’t intend to ever. Seems like more poo poo to wrinkle and tug on you when you’re trying to get into the sweet spot of hell yeah before falling asleep. Only a blanket over me and it’s :cloudnine:

They make great covers for outdoor plants when cold snaps happen, though.

The sheet is lay on your filthy human body, with it's secretions and sweat and dirt, and act as a barrier. That way the comforter stays clean, because those are a pain to wash, and the sheets are easy.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i use my bank’s bill pay thing to send checks, it’s nice, they even cover postage for some reason

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

frumpykvetchbot posted:

Fancy cutlery. More than one set of cutlery and dishes. Cutlery and dishes specific to types of food. Rugs. Drapes. Wallpaper. Doilies.

Some of these may be more of a class than age thing but I've always associated them with incomprehensibly overcomplicated clutter that old people liked to surround themselves with.

All that stuff and a lot of other things were all about trying to emulate the aristocracy. Except they're all lower quality and you're still stuck in your little house so it's kind of pathetic but all your fellow working class poors will talk poo poo if you're not wasting your precious little time, space, and money playing the game.

Also:

Lawns
China sets
Separate dining room, living room, and kitchen.
Wallpaper
Carpet

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

I was incredibly disappointed to find out that my moms bone China was not actually made out of bones

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

American Express Travelers Cheques (shhhhhhh)

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Bouillon Rube posted:

I was incredibly disappointed to find out that my moms bone China was not actually made out of bones

There is bone in it.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Apparently there used to be a thing called 'collect calling', and it comes up in old movies or TV shows sometimes, and I think I understand it based on context, but really I have no idea.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Ooh, I know that one! The voice asks your name, you say where to pick you up real fast, then the other person declines the call.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Das Boo posted:

Ooh, I know that one! The voice asks your name, you say where to pick you up real fast, then the other person declines the call.

:lmao:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Das Boo posted:

THE UNKNOWN BEHIND THE WALL

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Prof. Crocodile posted:

Apparently there used to be a thing called 'collect calling', and it comes up in old movies or TV shows sometimes, and I think I understand it based on context, but really I have no idea.

Making a call to another area code cost a lot of money. So if you didn't have a lot of money you'd call collect and the person you were calling would pay instead. Of course, they had to accept the charges. So they'd have to confirm with an operator who'd tell them who's calling or a machine would play a recording of you saying your name.

90% of the calls must have been young people calling their parents.

edit: When I was a little kid they'd still occasionally put variety shows on the air and I just hated them so much. I wanted to watch cartoons, or maybe a cop show, not people dancing.

AKA Pseudonym fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Mar 13, 2024

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Das Boo posted:

Did this a few times to get picked up at the mall lol.

Mods change my name to Accidental Phreaker tia

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

For real late night we broke into this sweeeet pad. Gold and cigars and poo poo.

He had a phone room, we dialed Saudi Arabia at like 2 AM, someone picked up....

pig labeled 3
Jan 3, 2007
Fig newtons

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Cheque, please.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

I'm too young to understand boomers listening to AM radio all day and too old to understand zoomers listening to streamers all day.

Spagghentleman
Jan 1, 2013
My dad refuses to use a debit/credit card to directly purchase anything. I’ve seen him use an in store ATM to withdraw money to pay for something in the same store. He also doesn’t have a wallet. He keeps everything loose in his pockets.

I gave him an iPhone cause he goes out for hours with no way to contact him. He leaves it at home.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

It’s a check but you pay the Post Office two bucks to write it for you

The one advantage was that it was prepaid. Some places wouldn't take checks because, from a vendor's perspective, there was no guarantee that the money would be there if paid with a personal check.

Spagghentleman
Jan 1, 2013
My mom comments on/shares literally every “contest” she’s ever seen on Facebook. She has to cancel her credit card AT LEAST twice a year due to fraudulent charges.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
gently caress balancing how do i even get the actual checks properly into the plastic things in the checkbook itself

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Tarkus posted:

I've never known anyone, my age or older, that enjoyed those shows. I have no idea who those appealed to. Maybe it was just noise for the whole family to watch while they ate tv dinners. No idea

They started as live entertainment before television was a thing. You bought a ticket and saw a variety of live entertainment.

I think part of the appeal was getting to see all this for free on broadcast TV on some annual date, making it special. There wasn't 50 channels of cable where you could see musical performances or stand up comedy any time you wanted. They're actually still popular some places but for anyone raised on cable they're gonna be boring as gently caress.

redshirt posted:

American Express Travelers Cheques (shhhhhhh)

I used these exactly one time at the urging of my boomer parents and then never used them again as they were a huge hassle.

Basically you don't need to carry large amounts of cash when you travel and the issuer promises to give you the money back if they're stolen but naturally it's a hassle. Also they give you a decent exchange rate agreed on when you buy them.

They've been useless ever since travel credit cards became easy to obtain but with hundreds of years of inertia we probably won't see them totally vanish until the boomers die off.

quote:

Collect Calls

I'll add that they were useful for calling in area code because you could make them from a payphone when you didn't have change.

Also if you ever need to make a call this way for some reason you'd be advised to use the regular operator as services like 1-800-COLLECT still exist but instead of beating standard telco rates like as intended they now gouge any unsuspecting dupe who happens to remember they exist.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Das Boo posted:

Variety shows. People used to gather around the TV and watch these?! With their full attention?! I would 100% rather do olde timey chores than bleed my life force into watching an old man sing next to a bubble machine for an hour.

When my mother did memory care and end of life care one of the constants was all the little old ladies loved watching the Lawrence Welk reruns on PBS. Now my mother watches it but she’s 64 so it’s like me watching MASH reruns on MeTV.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Spagghentleman posted:

My dad refuses to use a debit/credit card to directly purchase anything. I’ve seen him use an in store ATM to withdraw money to pay for something in the same store. He also doesn’t have a wallet. He keeps everything loose in his pockets.

Spagghentleman posted:

My mom comments on/shares literally every “contest” she’s ever seen on Facebook. She has to cancel her credit card AT LEAST twice a year due to fraudulent charges.

I hope these two are very happy together.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Internet Old One posted:

I used these exactly one time at the urging of my boomer parents and then never used them again as they were a huge hassle.

Basically you don't need to carry large amounts of cash when you travel and the issuer promises to give you the money back if they're stolen but naturally it's a hassle. Also they give you a decent exchange rate agreed on when you buy them.

They've been useless ever since travel credit cards became easy to obtain but with hundreds of years of inertia we probably won't see them totally vanish until the boomers die off.

I've never understood these either. So you get to some other country with your travelers checks and then what? Is there some place there that is going to cash them for you in the local currency? Is it one big check you have to cash at once?

Spagghentleman
Jan 1, 2013

counterfeitsaint posted:

I hope these two are very happy together.

If yelling “you dummy” at a woman is a term of endearment, their love will last an eternity.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
While my great-grandparents lived long enough for me to know how to use TVs with knobs, I never understood the non-channel knob

Prof. Crocodile posted:

Das Boo posted:

Bob Wehadababyitsaboy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

counterfeitsaint posted:

I've never understood these either. So you get to some other country with your travelers checks and then what? Is there some place there that is going to cash them for you in the local currency? Is it one big check you have to cash at once?

The checks were very widely accepted which seems a little crazy until you consider that in poorer destinations this is what wealthy tourists were trying to pay with and in most wealthy countries they had to deal with checks all the time anyhow.

You'd get change in cash and I think most people would get several checks that they'd stash in a hotel safe and carry one or two around at a time. They came with stubs that I guess you were supposed to use as record locators making a claim of theft or loss.

The exchange rate worked because the checks would be issued in whatever your destination currency was. So if you're going multiple places it'll be a complete clusterfuck and then you have to cash out whatevers left when you get home.

Personally before international credit cards and ATMs I would have gone to a local domestic currency exchange before going to the airport and stuffed the cash in my sock or underwear but like I said these have been the way to do it for hundreds of years and they had a lot of intertia.