Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006

20 Blunts posted:

gently caress balancing how do i even get the actual checks properly into the plastic things in the checkbook itself

Cut the left and right sides of the back sheet at angles so it is shaped like an upside-down trapezoid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

ISO play

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Internet Old One posted:

The checks were very widely accepted which seems a little crazy until you consider that in poorer destinations this is what wealthy tourists were trying to pay with and in most wealthy countries they had to deal with checks all the time anyhow.

You'd get change in cash and I think most people would get several checks that they'd stash in a hotel safe and carry one or two around at a time. They came with stubs that I guess you were supposed to use as record locators making a claim of theft or loss.

The exchange rate worked because the checks would be issued in whatever your destination currency was. So if you're going multiple places it'll be a complete clusterfuck and then you have to cash out whatevers left when you get home.

Personally before international credit cards and ATMs I would have gone to a local domestic currency exchange before going to the airport and stuffed the cash in my sock or underwear but like I said these have been the way to do it for hundreds of years and they had a lot of intertia.

This is insane to me.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

yeah, but there was a bit more to it than that. banks used to take time to clear cheques, so one would often reconcile between bank statements and a chequebook. also, for bills and stuff, having pre-written cheques and pending transactions was important to know the money was going to be there to clear the cheque on time etc.

not rocket science but its not as intuitive as modern ebanking. basically no point to do any of that poo poo now tho

Cheque fraud is still around and fairly rampant. People steal them out of the mail, alter the amounts, and cash them, and since 99.9% of the people who still mail cheques are really old and tech illiterate, they don't actually know that anything has happened for weeks. Apparently there are even shady cheque printing companies that will print cheques with whatever info you want and mail them to any unverified address, so you can just get a whole book of legit cheques with someone else's bank account number on them.

In this day and age, paying some random person by giving them a slip of paper with your name, address, and account numbers on it is an incredibly dumb thing to do.

GoutPatrol posted:

no clue how money orders work

I actually needed a money order fairly recently to renew a non-US passport at a consular office in the US. They wouldn't take any other form of payment, not even cash like they used to.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Foxfire_ posted:

They sit between you and the blanket to absorb stank, then you wash them more often than the blanket (and it's easier because they're less bulky than the blanket is)

counterfeitsaint posted:

The sheet is lay on your filthy human body, with it's secretions and sweat and dirt, and act as a barrier. That way the comforter stays clean, because those are a pain to wash, and the sheets are easy.

I get it, but I still think they’re unnecessary and never liked them. I wash my bed spread weekly so it’s not a problem.

Thanks for the explanations, though :kiddo:

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Also, those weird aspic dishes from the 1950s through the 1970s. Not gonna lie, a savory meat jelly with cold cuts and vegetables in it doesn’t sound too bad, but then you get into the what the gently caress territory of something like bananas wrapped in melted American cheese topped with marshmallow fluff, ketchup, and sardines.

Did people really eat those aspic dishes?

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

My mom was a good cook and we lived in the South so we never had jellied meats or the like. Beef stroganoff was had and it owns, I made some in an instant pot. She also made baked Alaska once, that was a big deal. But of the oldest food memories I have is of her cooking liver and onions. The smell dear god. I guess ate it? When the 80s came around all that stuff went away thankfully.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Watching a child turn into an adult. It's like, drat, that was just yesterday......

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

redshirt posted:

Watching a child turn into an adult. It's like, drat, that was just yesterday......

You are a monster.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

You Are A Werewolf posted:

Also, those weird aspic dishes from the 1950s through the 1970s. Not gonna lie, a savory meat jelly with cold cuts and vegetables in it doesn’t sound too bad, but then you get into the what the gently caress territory of something like bananas wrapped in melted American cheese topped with marshmallow fluff, ketchup, and sardines.

Did people really eat those aspic dishes?

Im only in my 30s but remember being around during one of my midwest grandmothers "luncheons" and there being jellied fruit salad, deviled eggs, finger sandwiches, a big cheese ball rolled in sliced almonds, etc.

Honestly it was all pretty good I remember eating a slice of the fruit salad with a big dollop of cool whip. Basically "jell-o" with fruit in it.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I like pate and I hate that nasty rear end aspic at the top

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

having a burning passion for whether or not people should be on time

MooRooster
Mar 5, 2024

GoutPatrol posted:

no clue how money orders work

I don't even know what they're used for let alone how to use them

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
How did my father buy and sell multiple houses when I'm supposedly in the same blue collar economic strata he was in at my age and every apartment landlord company wants closer and closer to 100% of my income?

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Spagghentleman posted:

If yelling “you dummy” at a woman is a term of endearment, their love will last an eternity.

Your father is Fred Sanford????

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i don't know what 'tippie canoe and tyler too' means

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Animal-Mother posted:

How did my father buy and sell multiple houses when I'm supposedly in the same blue collar economic strata he was in at my age and every apartment landlord company wants closer and closer to 100% of my income?

sometimes it’s best to defer to the wisdom of old people

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed
I pledge my spear and shield to Les

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

TrashMammal posted:

sometimes it’s best to defer to the wisdom of old people

He has my vote!

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Crystal radios. What station was broadcasting to those? Was it the Skeksis? Did they have crystal microphones too?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

When you're all out of fusionable material but then she start Ironing.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Disco Duck

And its follow-up Dis-Gorilla. Especially its follow-up, Dis-Gorilla.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

How I could just kill a man

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Hobby culture / Hobby shops were around when I was a kid and it seemed like most upwardly mobile dads were involved in RC or models or something.

Most of these places are gone and I wonder if its just a change in leisure or a lack of time. Probs just mobile phones and social media leeching everyones time though.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Poohs Packin posted:

Hobby culture / Hobby shops were around when I was a kid and it seemed like most upwardly mobile dads were involved in RC or models or something.

Most of these places are gone and I wonder if its just a change in leisure or a lack of time. Probs just mobile phones and social media leeching everyones time though.

God I loved old school Radio Shack. Like the best store to ever exist.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

redshirt posted:

Ok boomer

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

You need a circuit Sonny??

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

Poohs Packin posted:

I think those dads are really into retro gaming now and spend hundreds of dollars on hardware mods for Sega Saturns and stuff like that

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Buttchocks posted:

Crystal radios. What station was broadcasting to those? Was it the Skeksis? Did they have crystal microphones too?

It's just like regular radios so you just listen to the radio.I believe there are actually crystal microphones but they don't broadcast to crystal radios. I think the amp hookup on acoustic guitars are some kind of crystal microphone but I'm way out of my wheelhouse here.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

redshirt posted:

I also liked it because I could buy some crazy niche adapters. Like antenna to coaxial or molex to pin or that funky power adapter I needed for an atari 2600.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

MooRooster posted:

I don't even know what they're used for let alone how to use them

I've used these before and I still have no idea how they work. I buy them at the post office or 711 and then take them to whatever boomer asked for them. Then they try and explain that I should remove the stub and keep it and sign it whenev......

Yeah I'm sure it's loving great just take the thing you old rear end in a top hat. It was usually a landlord so it's especially hilarious that they're suddenly concerned about young people getting robbed after they made me waste 4.72 on some fee for the privilege of giving them "passive income".

They make even less sense than travelers checks. I swear boomers just like to dip into a little hassle and procedure just to feel like they're doing important business.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

a crystal radio is just an AM radio that uses a crystal for a power source iirc.

I had a kit where you'd wire up a few things and have a crude working one but dont' remember it ever working

e wiki says the crystal 'rectifies' the signal and signal itself powers the radio which is maybe more crazy than the power coming from the crystal

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

this is something i'm too young to understand. apparently am radio is for people talking, and fm radio is for music. maybe there is a law that says you can't play music on am radio or w/e.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

All kinds of big bands on AM radio brother! Give the dial a tune!

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Those Beatles tunes still sound great in mono on the Big 1040.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Szyznyk posted:

Those Beatles tunes still sound great in mono on the Big 1040.

SHE LOVES YOU YEAH Garble

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

am radio is the best part about overnight road trips

some crazy poo poo on the airwaves

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
I still don't know what a dixie cup is

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things