Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Grey Cat posted:

They're just paper cups.

for racists and old people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Dixieland is where I'll make my stand

Look away, Look away....

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

counterfeitsaint posted:

It's not that the bank doesn't have this information already, it's that you don't trust the bank to not purposely do the math wrong to skim a few bucks off you every month so you do the math yourself.

I stated manually keeping my own count of my checking account balance at a young age and just never got out of the habit. I'm still shocked how often my bank's online balance is just straight up wrong. It's never been enough to make much of a fuss over (maybe about $30 difference usually) but it's happened often enough I reflexively don't put my full trust in what my bank says. I know it's not me that's wrong because after a few weeks or months the balance will just magically correct itself (I know it's not "pending transactions," either) without any change in the listed transactions. I always wonder exactly what the deal is.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
I have never in my life had to call "The Operator."

Old TV shows make it seem like The Operator was this magical nasally-voiced phone person who you could just be like, "Hey operator, could you please connect me to so-and-so" and they'll be happy to hook you up, and if they don't or can't for whatever reason you're well within your rights to bitch at them, in fact it was customary to do so.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Telsa Cola posted:

I learned in highschool and my reaction to this day is "How the absolute gently caress do people not know how to do this or balance a check book holy poo poo"

I can write checks and do once every 2 or 3 years, but I don't even know what "balance a checkbook" means. Like, balance it on your nose, or what?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I'm too young to understand internet

All I know is hot tweets, cancelled, tiktoks and lie

Hit that follow and subscribe for more epic takes

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
It's gotta be weird being in the age group that *didn't* dress boys in dresses ngl. Young folks are doing it, old folks did it, it's actually the few generations that didn't do it that are weird if you think about it.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Obsession with portion size / all-you-can-eat.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

I can write checks and do once every 2 or 3 years, but I don't even know what "balance a checkbook" means. Like, balance it on your nose, or what?

Money comes in, money goes out, you can't explain that

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

The Moon Monster posted:

It's just manually keeping track of how much money you have available in your account. Back before people had instantaneous access to their account balance it was the only way to be sure you had enough money to cover the check you were writing.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

No. 6 posted:

Obsession with portion size / all-you-can-eat.

Could you elaborate?

AKA Pseudonym posted:

It's just manually keeping track of how much money you have available in your account. Back before people had instantaneous access to their account balance it was the only way to be sure you had enough money to cover the check you were writing.

Holy poo poo. That makes sense, wow

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Checkbooks have carbon paper in them that would make a copy of the check. So youd total those up and subtract that from your balance.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

You were supposed to add in your ATM transactions as well, which was where the whole thing broke down.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Taima posted:

Could you elaborate?

All from the same boomer:

remove duplicates from string

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Like, just order more food if you're hungry?

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

No. 6 posted:

Like, just order more food if you're hungry?

Wendy's doesn't let you order the "Great Biggie" size fries anymore

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Who the gently caress wants that much Wendy's fries anyway? Oh, wait. Boomers.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
lol. Thanks!

It reminds me when we went to this breakfast place near Seattle with extended fam and the restaurant's claim to fame is this absolutely monstrous cinnamon roll.

Everyone got excited about it so we got one and it was just the grossest monument to excess;- no flavor, just a giant barely cinnamoned roll with like 4 ladles of white sugar frosting that pooled all over the novelty sized plate.

It was literally one of the most disgusting things I've ever seen or tasted. But my relatives still talk about it to this day.

So I guess this checks out!

e: holy gently caress I found it :(

Zero spices or flavor just like 4 raisins, 2 specks of cinnamon, 3 pounds of flour and 4 ladles of flavorless raw powdered sugar made into a sauce :( gently caress

i'm literally nauseous

Taima fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Mar 17, 2024

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Cummin roll

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
why do people drink wine, it tastes way worse than grape juice and made my head hurt and Opa drinks a lot of it and smells gross and says things that make me feel weird

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

No. 6 posted:

Who the gently caress wants that much Wendy's fries anyway? Oh, wait. Boomers.

More restaurants should have potato skin still on the fries like Wendy's :colbert:

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Taima posted:

lol. Thanks!

It reminds me when we went to this breakfast place near Seattle with extended fam and the restaurant's claim to fame is this absolutely monstrous cinnamon roll.

Everyone got excited about it so we got one and it was just the grossest monument to excess;- no flavor, just a giant barely cinnamoned roll with like 4 ladles of white sugar frosting that pooled all over the novelty sized plate.

It was literally one of the most disgusting things I've ever seen or tasted. But my relatives still talk about it to this day.

So I guess this checks out!

e: holy gently caress I found it :(

Zero spices or flavor just like 4 raisins, 2 specks of cinnamon, 3 pounds of flour and 4 ladles of flavorless raw powdered sugar made into a sauce :( gently caress

i'm literally nauseous

Hahaha, you get what I'm saying. I'd rather quality over quantity. Seems like a generational thing.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Debutante Balls??

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

I'm a special kind of asshole!

Grey Cat posted:

Were you the old lady in front of us at Walmart that held up the line for 10 minutes trying to write a check for a few dollars of groceries?

Can't worm out of this Grey Cat, your grey hairs betray you, and we all know that was YOU writing those checks!

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

redshirt posted:

Debutante Balls??

not really an old person thing. more of an old money thing oft copied by aspiring clout chasers

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

On topic: I have talked to a lot of boomers and older Gen X that can't type, and when asked, say they avoided using typewriters, ever. I get the misogyny part of this, but for Boomers especially, it's like, my guy, typewriters were LITERALLY UNAVOIDABLE. How in the gently caress did you ever think it was a good idea to not at least learn how to properly type up basic documents? Even without the advent of the PC, did you really think you would never have to type ANYTHING?

Drives me crazy. Then in the age of the computer they REFUSED to learn, and now in the smartphone era, they don't HAVE to learn.

So I guess what I'm too young to understand is, why would you not want to make your life easier by learning to use the technology of your time?

Vile_Nihlist666 fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Mar 17, 2024

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Vile_Nihlist666 posted:

On topic: I have talked to a lot of boomers and older Gen X that can't type, and when asked, say they avoided using typewriters, ever. I get the misogyny part of this, but for Boomers especially, it's like, my guy, typewriters were LITERALLY UNAVOIDABLE. How in the gently caress did you ever think it was a good idea to at least learn how to properly type up basic documents? Even without the advent of the PC, did you really think you would never have to type ANYTHING?

Drives me crazy. Then in the age of the computer they REFUSED to learn, and now in the smartphone era, they don't HAVE to learn.

So I guess what I'm too young to understand is, why would you not want to make your life easier by learning to use the technology of your time?

GenX here. I took typing in middle school. Was only 1 of 2 boys. I had a primitive home pc so it appealed to me and has paid off 1000x over. A lot of people had no pc exposure so this would have been seen as something aspiring secretaries and clerks learned. Boomers I imagine even more so.

Typing on a typewriter was something the average person rarely did.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

No. 6 posted:

Hahaha, you get what I'm saying. I'd rather quality over quantity. Seems like a generational thing.

We know when someone offers us all you can eat steaks for $20 it's going to be practically inedible prison grade deli meat. Back in the day it might have been some early embracer of small scale vertical integration and liberal use of meat tenderizer which isn't great but is still better than literal dogfood.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

Big rear end On Fire posted:

GenX here. I took typing in middle school. Was only 1 of 2 boys. I had a primitive home pc so it appealed to me and has paid off 1000x over. A lot of people had no pc exposure so this would have been seen as something aspiring secretaries and clerks learned. Boomers I imagine even more so.

Surely people were typing up school assignments somehow?

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

why would you qualify yourself to do extra work without extra pay, op?

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

TrashMammal posted:

I'm the wrong person to ask I guess, 'cause I do that frequently.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

TrashMammal posted:

To get ahead with the boss

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

redshirt posted:

To get ahead with the boss

that’s what golf is for

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

TrashMammal posted:

for racists and old people

they work p good for making jello shots

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Vile_Nihlist666 posted:

Can't worm out of this Grey Cat, your grey hairs betray you, and we all know that was YOU writing those checks!

:argh:

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

I’d had “computer class” in the (one) computer lab on like 286s every so often in elementary and also took the formal typing class in 6th grade. It had to have been one of the last of the typewriter classes before labs became more abundant at my schools :negative:

I realized pretty quickly how much of an advantage that was

Chief McHeath fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 17, 2024

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Vile_Nihlist666 posted:

Surely people were typing up school assignments somehow?

Only if it was required. Typewriters are a pain in the rear end because you can't easily correct errors or otherwise edit what you've typed. The method of report writing I was taught was writing everything out on note cards first and then typing out what you've written. The lazy way was to just write it down and skip loving around with a typewriter.

I remember a day in Junior High where they got us all together and told us about how important it was to learn to type because you'd have to do it in college and if you were good at it people would even pay you to do it for them. That must have been 1990. My classmates and I were a little ahead of the curve on PC adoption so it all seemed a little ridiculous to a lot of us. It was great to be able to type fast and all but with a computer even hunting and pecking was better than writing everything out by hand.

So, in a way, computers made typing less important. Or at least super accurate typing.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Yeah a lot of papers were written out in cursive.

When I went to college my mom bought me what was probably sold as a word processor. It was like an electronic typewriter with a little lcd screen that contained the text, a floppy drive to save and I think integrated spell check. When everything was good it would print to a sheet of paper on the same device. This was way ahead of most or all of my peers with this thing as basically no one had a laptop then, maybe by the time I graduated computers were starting to make their presence known and that thing became mostly obsolete.

So much about college changed in like the course of a decade, from my older brother standing in long lines all day to sign up for classes, to me sitting on the phone for hours trying to get into classes (and I can still remember what the goddamn voice prompt said) to probably a year or two later everything being done on the web.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

When I went to college my mom bought me what was probably sold as a word processor. It was like an electronic typewriter with a little lcd screen that contained the text, a floppy drive to save and I think integrated spell check. When everything was good it would print to a sheet of paper on the same device. This was way ahead of most or all of my peers with this thing as basically no one had a laptop then, maybe by the time I graduated computers were starting to make their presence known and that thing became mostly obsolete.

So much about college changed in like the course of a decade, from my older brother standing in long lines all day to sign up for classes, to me sitting on the phone for hours trying to get into classes (and I can still remember what the goddamn voice prompt said) to probably a year or two later everything being done on the web.

My man! The first Word Processors were game changers. Disks for saving. The ability to just fix misspellings - what a miracle! Gone were the days of White Out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

I have a couple of these. Mine use thermal print heads, which are nice since no ink cartridges are needed, as long as you have access to thermal paper.

I also have a manual typewriter that I repaired, a Smith-Corona Skywriter.

[Edit] This is it right here; I have a Sharp PA-1050.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLe-Id_sovQ

You mentioning it reminded me to get it out of my trunk and charge my D-Cells. Now that I'm not typing for a living, maybe I can put this thing back to work.

Vile_Nihlist666 fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Mar 17, 2024