Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'

syntaxfunction posted:

I'm too young to understand internet

All I know is hot tweets, cancelled, tiktoks and lie

Hit that follow and subscribe for more epic takes

Don’t forget to smash me in the notification bell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

Vile_Nihlist666 posted:

On topic: I have talked to a lot of boomers and older Gen X that can't type, and when asked, say they avoided using typewriters, ever. I get the misogyny part of this, but for Boomers especially, it's like, my guy, typewriters were LITERALLY UNAVOIDABLE. How in the gently caress did you ever think it was a good idea to not at least learn how to properly type up basic documents? Even without the advent of the PC, did you really think you would never have to type ANYTHING?

Drives me crazy. Then in the age of the computer they REFUSED to learn, and now in the smartphone era, they don't HAVE to learn.

So I guess what I'm too young to understand is, why would you not want to make your life easier by learning to use the technology of your time?

I once dated a Gen X who used to hammer my laptop keyboard like a typewriter to the point the keys would sometimes pop off. She was 11 years my senior and always insisted on being right, so when I told her she didn't have to hit the keys that hard, her response was "I learned typing, thanks."

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

a dmc delorean posted:

I once dated a Gen X who used to hammer my laptop keyboard like a typewriter to the point the keys would sometimes pop off. She was 11 years my senior and always insisted on being right, so when I told her she didn't have to hit the keys that hard, her response was "I learned typing, thanks."

Do you have her AOL account name?

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

Vile_Nihlist666 posted:

Surely people were typing up school assignments somehow?

grew up in the 90s, didnt have a computer in our home until 97. up until grade 6 i was absolutely writing all my assignments out by hand

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

I stated manually keeping my own count of my checking account balance at a young age and just never got out of the habit. I'm still shocked how often my bank's online balance is just straight up wrong. It's never been enough to make much of a fuss over (maybe about $30 difference usually) but it's happened often enough I reflexively don't put my full trust in what my bank says. I know it's not me that's wrong because after a few weeks or months the balance will just magically correct itself (I know it's not "pending transactions," either) without any change in the listed transactions. I always wonder exactly what the deal is.

They show the balance after every transaction, so if there was a difference for some reason it should be possible to find it.

redshirt posted:

You were supposed to add in your ATM transactions as well, which was where the whole thing broke down.

Balancing your checkbook is a holdover from the days where 99% of your transactions were literally checks, hence the still used term checking account. ATMs came in to complicate things, but debit cards that functioned like credit cards were really what made the whole thing impossible.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Grey Cat posted:

More restaurants should have potato skin still on the fries like Wendy's :colbert:

Yeah wendys is way better than most these days.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

jesus Christ that poo poo nasty looking

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
In Judy Blume books or whatever when they talk about attaching sanitary napkins to a special belt, I have no idea what I'm supposed to be picturing. Like what was it made of? Did it come in the box with the sanitary pads? How about the safety pins? I'm sure they mention safety pins but do they come with the pads or do you just steal them from your mum's sewing kit?

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Square dancing. My grandparents were insanely into it, they would travel to competitions and win, but no clue how it worked

First of all, they weren't dancing in a square, its more like a circle? And then there's a dude who calls out what move you're supposed to do, but you have to do it better than everyone else?

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Waxing your car. My dad used to wax his car but it still got covered in dirt and ended up a rustbucket. What's the point?

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

slinkimalinki posted:

In Judy Blume books or whatever when they talk about attaching sanitary napkins to a special belt, I have no idea what I'm supposed to be picturing. Like what was it made of? Did it come in the box with the sanitary pads? How about the safety pins? I'm sure they mention safety pins but do they come with the pads or do you just steal them from your mum's sewing kit?

Lol I had this issue too, giving this book to kids who have access to the modern world of pads with adhesive backing made the descriptions of the garters and poo poo sound really loving weird.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Buttchocks posted:

Waxing your car. My dad used to wax his car but it still got covered in dirt and ended up a rustbucket. What's the point?

I just waxed my car the other weekend. It makes it shiny and smooth, if that's something that matters to you.

I Miss Snausages
Mar 8, 2005
Volvorific!

Vile_Nihlist666 posted:

On topic: I have talked to a lot of boomers and older Gen X that can't type, and when asked, say they avoided using typewriters, ever. I get the misogyny part of this, but for Boomers especially, it's like, my guy, typewriters were LITERALLY UNAVOIDABLE. How in the gently caress did you ever think it was a good idea to not at least learn how to properly type up basic documents? Even without the advent of the PC, did you really think you would never have to type ANYTHING?

Drives me crazy. Then in the age of the computer they REFUSED to learn, and now in the smartphone era, they don't HAVE to learn.

So I guess what I'm too young to understand is, why would you not want to make your life easier by learning to use the technology of your time?

One antidote from my parents about typing (before computers) was that often in high school just the girls would take typing as it might have been part of a home economics class, or a class to prepare them for an office job. My father didn't really use a typewriter till he was in the Navy in Viet Nam. When my dad as completing his masters degree, his dissertation had to be typed, and it was just easier to have my mom do it for him. (She didn't mind doing it).
Once they got a computer in 1978, my Dad taught himself to type.
If you were destined for a blue collar job, why learn how to type? Those who didn't want to learn to type are the same kind who think male nurses are weird.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I love reading newspapers from the 50's, 60's and 70's. In the classified sections it was normal to have two job sections "male help wanted" and "female help wanted". The jobs were very much what you'd expect, trades and sales for men and clerical and care jobs for women. As far as I can tell it ended in the late 70's but the ad itself would specify the desired gender quite often until about the mid 80's.

Another amusing thing from those times was their propensity to publish the full name of a subject of a story but also their address. Even when it was like, say,a 10 year old kid who won a spelling bee or something.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

yeah but back then it didn't matter because you had to get out a paper triple A map and a magnifying glass to actually find out where that address was, nobody got time for that

e: still, it's nice that civilized society has somewhat taken steps toward a "shan't dox" standard for serious journalism

Bad Purchase fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Mar 19, 2024

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Whats a vole

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Its a small rodent

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
how is a High Yield Savings Account supposed to work? Or, how does it help save and generate money?

I give a bank $10,000 and must never go under to avoid fees. And I generate maybe if I'm lucky ~$400 a year?

But that untouchable $10,000 is off the table for the rest of my life? Like what does the end game of a HYSA look like? Handing over 5-figs forever to generate 3-figs, what??

I don't understand why HYSA get recommended, moreso are even considered essential.

Seems scammy but many use them. Maybe they're good advice coming from a monied background? Seems like a monetary version of "work hard everday doing 120% and eventually you'll be recognized and rewarded for your great deeds in our pure meritocracy" type bullshit. Like of course wealthy people gobble that up and espouse it.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

ProperCauldron posted:

how is a High Yield Savings Account supposed to work? Or, how does it help save and generate money?

I give a bank $10,000 and must never go under to avoid fees. And I generate maybe if I'm lucky ~$400 a year?

But that untouchable $10,000 is off the table for the rest of my life? Like what does the end game of a HYSA look like? Handing over 5-figs forever to generate 3-figs, what??

I don't understand why HYSA get recommended, moreso are even considered essential.

Seems scammy but many use them. Maybe they're good advice coming from a monied background? Seems like a monetary version of "work hard everday doing 120% and eventually you'll be recognized and rewarded for your great deeds in our pure meritocracy" type bullshit. Like of course wealthy people gobble that up and espouse it.

That's a good question for the Long-term investing thread.

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006

Let's say you have $100,000 that you just received somehow. You need to park it somewhere while you figure out what to do with it (either spend or invest or whatever). You open a high-yield savings account to at least let it earn interest while you think, then when you figure it out you close the account and do whatever you decided with the money.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

MyronMulch posted:

Let's say you have $100,000 that you just received somehow. You need to park it somewhere while you figure out what to do with it (either spend or invest or whatever). You open a high-yield savings account to at least let it earn interest while you think, then when you figure it out you close the account and do whatever you decided with the money.

No, that doesn't sound right... what could they be for??

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

ProperCauldron posted:

Theoretically at least there's less red tape/fees/taxes involved with opening and closing one than with higher yield investments so it's better to park your money there than in a checking account where it earns literally nothing. That's pretty much it. Oh yeah, less risk too.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

HISAs or HYSAs also have the added benefit of giving you immediate access to your cash.

So while your monies might not increase in value at the rate of your buddys Slurped Ape, you dont need to worry about selling some asset to get access to your money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

frumpykvetchbot posted:

... Doilies.

Some of these may be more of a class than age thing but I've always associated them with incomprehensibly overcomplicated clutter that old people liked to surround themselves with.

I hope for your sake that Politenessman doesn't read this thread.

Only registered members can see post attachments!