Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Heat Death; Can I ensure myself against this??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

frumpykvetchbot posted:

Fancy cutlery. More than one set of cutlery and dishes. Cutlery and dishes specific to types of food. Rugs. Drapes. Wallpaper. Doilies.

Some of these may be more of a class than age thing but I've always associated them with incomprehensibly overcomplicated clutter that old people liked to surround themselves with.

Which spoon for the endangered bird eggs?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

TrashMammal posted:

dogs as a kitchen appliance. i mean really, who came up with this stuff?

It's a living

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I've got to renew for Medicare every year???

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I've never bought a Funko..... should I try it?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

TrashMammal posted:

only then will you know the true wisdom of maturity :haibrow:

Little Baby Buddha Funko

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

You Are A Werewolf posted:

I’ve never understood the thin flat sheet that lays between one’s body and the top comforter/blanket. I’ve never used one and don’t intend to ever. Seems like more poo poo to wrinkle and tug on you when you’re trying to get into the sweet spot of hell yeah before falling asleep. Only a blanket over me and it’s :cloudnine:

They make great covers for outdoor plants when cold snaps happen, though.

If I'm in a hotel bed, that thin flat sheet is all that separates you from God knows what, son.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

You Are A Werewolf posted:

Makes sense, but you’re still laying on top of several hundred stranger’s trapped farts and dried fluids.

Don’t turn on the black light, homie.

This is why I try and avoid hospitals.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

iirc "balancing a chequebook" involves noting and calculating the transactions that you make with cheques so that you know what the balance of your chequeing account is at any given time, and you know how much mor eyou can write from cheques from it. since that info is digital now, and besides, cutting a cheque is exceedingly rare, it's very much a forgotten "skill"

What the Horque?!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I still write my local town a check or two or more each year, I'm not sure the total number I'd have to check the check register.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

check the chequebook obviously duh

See this was also one of the MI traps, and just as obvious.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

American Express Travelers Cheques (shhhhhhh)

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Das Boo posted:

Ooh, I know that one! The voice asks your name, you say where to pick you up real fast, then the other person declines the call.

THE UNKNOWN BEHIND THE WALL

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

For real late night we broke into this sweeeet pad. Gold and cigars and poo poo.

He had a phone room, we dialed Saudi Arabia at like 2 AM, someone picked up....

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

ISO play

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Watching a child turn into an adult. It's like, drat, that was just yesterday......

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

When you're all out of fusionable material but then she start Ironing.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Poohs Packin posted:

Hobby culture / Hobby shops were around when I was a kid and it seemed like most upwardly mobile dads were involved in RC or models or something.

Most of these places are gone and I wonder if its just a change in leisure or a lack of time. Probs just mobile phones and social media leeching everyones time though.

God I loved old school Radio Shack. Like the best store to ever exist.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

You need a circuit Sonny??

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

All kinds of big bands on AM radio brother! Give the dial a tune!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Szyznyk posted:

Those Beatles tunes still sound great in mono on the Big 1040.

SHE LOVES YOU YEAH Garble

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Grey Cat posted:

They're just paper cups.

Kinda waxy, I don't know if that is specific to Dixie Cups

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Dixieland is where I'll make my stand

Look away, Look away....

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

I can write checks and do once every 2 or 3 years, but I don't even know what "balance a checkbook" means. Like, balance it on your nose, or what?

Money comes in, money goes out, you can't explain that

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

You were supposed to add in your ATM transactions as well, which was where the whole thing broke down.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Debutante Balls??

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

TrashMammal posted:

why would you qualify yourself to do extra work without extra pay, op?

To get ahead with the boss

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Big rear end On Fire posted:

Yeah a lot of papers were written out in cursive.

When I went to college my mom bought me what was probably sold as a word processor. It was like an electronic typewriter with a little lcd screen that contained the text, a floppy drive to save and I think integrated spell check. When everything was good it would print to a sheet of paper on the same device. This was way ahead of most or all of my peers with this thing as basically no one had a laptop then, maybe by the time I graduated computers were starting to make their presence known and that thing became mostly obsolete.

So much about college changed in like the course of a decade, from my older brother standing in long lines all day to sign up for classes, to me sitting on the phone for hours trying to get into classes (and I can still remember what the goddamn voice prompt said) to probably a year or two later everything being done on the web.

My man! The first Word Processors were game changers. Disks for saving. The ability to just fix misspellings - what a miracle! Gone were the days of White Out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

a dmc delorean posted:

I once dated a Gen X who used to hammer my laptop keyboard like a typewriter to the point the keys would sometimes pop off. She was 11 years my senior and always insisted on being right, so when I told her she didn't have to hit the keys that hard, her response was "I learned typing, thanks."

Do you have her AOL account name?