Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Das Boo posted:

Variety shows. People used to gather around the TV and watch these?! With their full attention?! I would 100% rather do olde timey chores than bleed my life force into watching an old man sing next to a bubble machine for an hour.

I've never known anyone, my age or older, that enjoyed those shows. I have no idea who those appealed to. Maybe it was just noise for the whole family to watch while they ate tv dinners. No idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

When I was young I had what was called a bank book. You would take this book into the bank, do a transaction, and they would print any other transactions that weren't present in your book. You were expected to go through and check for yourself to see if there was anything amiss and you could then argue your 10 cent difference or whatever.

In my parent's time when they were young, IIRC, this would be hand written and so when you wrote a check you would write the new balance into the book. It was administered by you completely.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I love reading newspapers from the 50's, 60's and 70's. In the classified sections it was normal to have two job sections "male help wanted" and "female help wanted". The jobs were very much what you'd expect, trades and sales for men and clerical and care jobs for women. As far as I can tell it ended in the late 70's but the ad itself would specify the desired gender quite often until about the mid 80's.

Another amusing thing from those times was their propensity to publish the full name of a subject of a story but also their address. Even when it was like, say,a 10 year old kid who won a spelling bee or something.