Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

God isn't watching you... but I am!

Grey Cat posted:

Were you the old lady in front of us at Walmart that held up the line for 10 minutes trying to write a check for a few dollars of groceries?

Can't worm out of this Grey Cat, your grey hairs betray you, and we all know that was YOU writing those checks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

On topic: I have talked to a lot of boomers and older Gen X that can't type, and when asked, say they avoided using typewriters, ever. I get the misogyny part of this, but for Boomers especially, it's like, my guy, typewriters were LITERALLY UNAVOIDABLE. How in the gently caress did you ever think it was a good idea to not at least learn how to properly type up basic documents? Even without the advent of the PC, did you really think you would never have to type ANYTHING?

Drives me crazy. Then in the age of the computer they REFUSED to learn, and now in the smartphone era, they don't HAVE to learn.

So I guess what I'm too young to understand is, why would you not want to make your life easier by learning to use the technology of your time?

Vile_Nihlist666 fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Mar 17, 2024

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

Big rear end On Fire posted:

GenX here. I took typing in middle school. Was only 1 of 2 boys. I had a primitive home pc so it appealed to me and has paid off 1000x over. A lot of people had no pc exposure so this would have been seen as something aspiring secretaries and clerks learned. Boomers I imagine even more so.

Typing on a typewriter was something the average person rarely did.

Surely people were typing up school assignments somehow?

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

TrashMammal posted:

why would you qualify yourself to do extra work without extra pay, op?

I'm the wrong person to ask I guess, 'cause I do that frequently.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

Big rear end On Fire posted:

Yeah a lot of papers were written out in cursive.

When I went to college my mom bought me what was probably sold as a word processor. It was like an electronic typewriter with a little lcd screen that contained the text, a floppy drive to save and I think integrated spell check. When everything was good it would print to a sheet of paper on the same device. This was way ahead of most or all of my peers with this thing as basically no one had a laptop then, maybe by the time I graduated computers were starting to make their presence known and that thing became mostly obsolete.

So much about college changed in like the course of a decade, from my older brother standing in long lines all day to sign up for classes, to me sitting on the phone for hours trying to get into classes (and I can still remember what the goddamn voice prompt said) to probably a year or two later everything being done on the web.

I have a couple of these. Mine use thermal print heads, which are nice since no ink cartridges are needed, as long as you have access to thermal paper.

I also have a manual typewriter that I repaired, a Smith-Corona Skywriter.

[Edit] This is it right here; I have a Sharp PA-1050.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLe-Id_sovQ

You mentioning it reminded me to get it out of my trunk and charge my D-Cells. Now that I'm not typing for a living, maybe I can put this thing back to work.

Vile_Nihlist666 fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Mar 17, 2024