Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I want a pretzel baconator and an extra large coke. Make it a diet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
It's not that the bank doesn't have this information already, it's that you don't trust the bank to not purposely do the math wrong to skim a few bucks off you every month so you do the math yourself. On a physical piece of paper with a pen. Because you grew up during the Great Depression and you still think that is how banks work.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

You Are A Werewolf posted:

I’ve never understood the thin flat sheet that lays between one’s body and the top comforter/blanket. I’ve never used one and don’t intend to ever. Seems like more poo poo to wrinkle and tug on you when you’re trying to get into the sweet spot of hell yeah before falling asleep. Only a blanket over me and it’s :cloudnine:

They make great covers for outdoor plants when cold snaps happen, though.

The sheet is lay on your filthy human body, with it's secretions and sweat and dirt, and act as a barrier. That way the comforter stays clean, because those are a pain to wash, and the sheets are easy.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Spagghentleman posted:

My dad refuses to use a debit/credit card to directly purchase anything. I’ve seen him use an in store ATM to withdraw money to pay for something in the same store. He also doesn’t have a wallet. He keeps everything loose in his pockets.

Spagghentleman posted:

My mom comments on/shares literally every “contest” she’s ever seen on Facebook. She has to cancel her credit card AT LEAST twice a year due to fraudulent charges.

I hope these two are very happy together.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Internet Old One posted:

I used these exactly one time at the urging of my boomer parents and then never used them again as they were a huge hassle.

Basically you don't need to carry large amounts of cash when you travel and the issuer promises to give you the money back if they're stolen but naturally it's a hassle. Also they give you a decent exchange rate agreed on when you buy them.

They've been useless ever since travel credit cards became easy to obtain but with hundreds of years of inertia we probably won't see them totally vanish until the boomers die off.

I've never understood these either. So you get to some other country with your travelers checks and then what? Is there some place there that is going to cash them for you in the local currency? Is it one big check you have to cash at once?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

I stated manually keeping my own count of my checking account balance at a young age and just never got out of the habit. I'm still shocked how often my bank's online balance is just straight up wrong. It's never been enough to make much of a fuss over (maybe about $30 difference usually) but it's happened often enough I reflexively don't put my full trust in what my bank says. I know it's not me that's wrong because after a few weeks or months the balance will just magically correct itself (I know it's not "pending transactions," either) without any change in the listed transactions. I always wonder exactly what the deal is.

They show the balance after every transaction, so if there was a difference for some reason it should be possible to find it.

redshirt posted:

You were supposed to add in your ATM transactions as well, which was where the whole thing broke down.

Balancing your checkbook is a holdover from the days where 99% of your transactions were literally checks, hence the still used term checking account. ATMs came in to complicate things, but debit cards that functioned like credit cards were really what made the whole thing impossible.