Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Grey Cat posted:

I had to learn how to write cursive, a check and balance a checkbook in elementary school. Then proceeded to never need to write a check in my life lol. The few times I've needed a check I just get a cashier's check and that's it.

I learned in highschool and my reaction to this day is "How the absolute gently caress do people not know how to do this or balance a check book holy poo poo"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Also Seinfeld and like half the actor/famous people deaths people post. I was born in the mid 1990s

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Grey Cat posted:

I could still do it if I had to but I don't even own a checkbook. :shrug: Just never had a need to.
There was a few times when I was younger that it would have been convenient to have a check but most of the stuff I've needed checks for required a cashier check anyways. Now 99% of the time it's just convenient to use a card of some sort over a check.

Though once while I was working at a staples there was some weird card system outage for about 48hrs. The only thing we could accept was cash or check so I guess checks were pretty convenient at that time in particular for the few old people that came in.

Nah I mean that all makes total sense, but filling out a check itself is straight up: recipient, date, the amount, what its for, and your signature. Thats why I get confused when folks dont know how to do it.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

iirc "balancing a chequebook" involves noting and calculating the transactions that you make with cheques so that you know what the balance of your chequeing account is at any given time, and you know how much mor eyou can write from cheques from it. since that info is digital now, and besides, cutting a cheque is exceedingly rare, it's very much a forgotten "skill"

Yeah basically

So if you have 3000 in your checking account and you cut two checks for 100 each, you now have 2800. That's it, its literally subtraction.

I don't think its a forgotten skill, because it takes simple math, I think people just have no idea what it actually means when someone says balance a checkbook.

The only hard part is just being conistent with it.

Edit: as a kid I always saw it portrayed as this ominous and difficult task and when I had a general lifes skills class in HS the teacher spent like 15 minutes on it and I kept waiting for the shoe to drop.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 12, 2024

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

yeah, but there was a bit more to it than that. banks used to take time to clear cheques, so one would often reconcile between bank statements and a chequebook. also, for bills and stuff, having pre-written cheques and pending transactions was important to know the money was going to be there to clear the cheque on time etc.

not rocket science but its not as intuitive as modern ebanking. basically no point to do any of that poo poo now tho

Lol gonna slot this into me being to young to get that. By the time I had bank account ebanking was pretty solidifed.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Bouillon Rube posted:

I was incredibly disappointed to find out that my moms bone China was not actually made out of bones

There is bone in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Internet Old One posted:

The checks were very widely accepted which seems a little crazy until you consider that in poorer destinations this is what wealthy tourists were trying to pay with and in most wealthy countries they had to deal with checks all the time anyhow.

You'd get change in cash and I think most people would get several checks that they'd stash in a hotel safe and carry one or two around at a time. They came with stubs that I guess you were supposed to use as record locators making a claim of theft or loss.

The exchange rate worked because the checks would be issued in whatever your destination currency was. So if you're going multiple places it'll be a complete clusterfuck and then you have to cash out whatevers left when you get home.

Personally before international credit cards and ATMs I would have gone to a local domestic currency exchange before going to the airport and stuffed the cash in my sock or underwear but like I said these have been the way to do it for hundreds of years and they had a lot of intertia.

This is insane to me.