Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

frumpykvetchbot posted:

Fancy cutlery. More than one set of cutlery and dishes. Cutlery and dishes specific to types of food. Rugs. Drapes. Wallpaper. Doilies.

Some of these may be more of a class than age thing but I've always associated them with incomprehensibly overcomplicated clutter that old people liked to surround themselves with.

All that stuff and a lot of other things were all about trying to emulate the aristocracy. Except they're all lower quality and you're still stuck in your little house so it's kind of pathetic but all your fellow working class poors will talk poo poo if you're not wasting your precious little time, space, and money playing the game.

Also:

Lawns
China sets
Separate dining room, living room, and kitchen.
Wallpaper
Carpet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Tarkus posted:

I've never known anyone, my age or older, that enjoyed those shows. I have no idea who those appealed to. Maybe it was just noise for the whole family to watch while they ate tv dinners. No idea

They started as live entertainment before television was a thing. You bought a ticket and saw a variety of live entertainment.

I think part of the appeal was getting to see all this for free on broadcast TV on some annual date, making it special. There wasn't 50 channels of cable where you could see musical performances or stand up comedy any time you wanted. They're actually still popular some places but for anyone raised on cable they're gonna be boring as gently caress.

redshirt posted:

American Express Travelers Cheques (shhhhhhh)

I used these exactly one time at the urging of my boomer parents and then never used them again as they were a huge hassle.

Basically you don't need to carry large amounts of cash when you travel and the issuer promises to give you the money back if they're stolen but naturally it's a hassle. Also they give you a decent exchange rate agreed on when you buy them.

They've been useless ever since travel credit cards became easy to obtain but with hundreds of years of inertia we probably won't see them totally vanish until the boomers die off.

quote:

Collect Calls

I'll add that they were useful for calling in area code because you could make them from a payphone when you didn't have change.

Also if you ever need to make a call this way for some reason you'd be advised to use the regular operator as services like 1-800-COLLECT still exist but instead of beating standard telco rates like as intended they now gouge any unsuspecting dupe who happens to remember they exist.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

counterfeitsaint posted:

I've never understood these either. So you get to some other country with your travelers checks and then what? Is there some place there that is going to cash them for you in the local currency? Is it one big check you have to cash at once?

The checks were very widely accepted which seems a little crazy until you consider that in poorer destinations this is what wealthy tourists were trying to pay with and in most wealthy countries they had to deal with checks all the time anyhow.

You'd get change in cash and I think most people would get several checks that they'd stash in a hotel safe and carry one or two around at a time. They came with stubs that I guess you were supposed to use as record locators making a claim of theft or loss.

The exchange rate worked because the checks would be issued in whatever your destination currency was. So if you're going multiple places it'll be a complete clusterfuck and then you have to cash out whatevers left when you get home.

Personally before international credit cards and ATMs I would have gone to a local domestic currency exchange before going to the airport and stuffed the cash in my sock or underwear but like I said these have been the way to do it for hundreds of years and they had a lot of intertia.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Buttchocks posted:

Crystal radios. What station was broadcasting to those? Was it the Skeksis? Did they have crystal microphones too?

It's just like regular radios so you just listen to the radio.I believe there are actually crystal microphones but they don't broadcast to crystal radios. I think the amp hookup on acoustic guitars are some kind of crystal microphone but I'm way out of my wheelhouse here.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

MooRooster posted:

I don't even know what they're used for let alone how to use them

I've used these before and I still have no idea how they work. I buy them at the post office or 711 and then take them to whatever boomer asked for them. Then they try and explain that I should remove the stub and keep it and sign it whenev......

Yeah I'm sure it's loving great just take the thing you old rear end in a top hat. It was usually a landlord so it's especially hilarious that they're suddenly concerned about young people getting robbed after they made me waste 4.72 on some fee for the privilege of giving them "passive income".

They make even less sense than travelers checks. I swear boomers just like to dip into a little hassle and procedure just to feel like they're doing important business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

No. 6 posted:

Hahaha, you get what I'm saying. I'd rather quality over quantity. Seems like a generational thing.

We know when someone offers us all you can eat steaks for $20 it's going to be practically inedible prison grade deli meat. Back in the day it might have been some early embracer of small scale vertical integration and liberal use of meat tenderizer which isn't great but is still better than literal dogfood.