Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Prof. Crocodile posted:

Apparently there used to be a thing called 'collect calling', and it comes up in old movies or TV shows sometimes, and I think I understand it based on context, but really I have no idea.

Making a call to another area code cost a lot of money. So if you didn't have a lot of money you'd call collect and the person you were calling would pay instead. Of course, they had to accept the charges. So they'd have to confirm with an operator who'd tell them who's calling or a machine would play a recording of you saying your name.

90% of the calls must have been young people calling their parents.

edit: When I was a little kid they'd still occasionally put variety shows on the air and I just hated them so much. I wanted to watch cartoons, or maybe a cop show, not people dancing.

AKA Pseudonym fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Mar 13, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

Doctor Rope

The Moon Monster posted:

I can write checks and do once every 2 or 3 years, but I don't even know what "balance a checkbook" means. Like, balance it on your nose, or what?

It's just manually keeping track of how much money you have available in your account. Back before people had instantaneous access to their account balance it was the only way to be sure you had enough money to cover the check you were writing.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

Doctor Rope

Vile_Nihlist666 posted:

Surely people were typing up school assignments somehow?

Only if it was required. Typewriters are a pain in the rear end because you can't easily correct errors or otherwise edit what you've typed. The method of report writing I was taught was writing everything out on note cards first and then typing out what you've written. The lazy way was to just write it down and skip loving around with a typewriter.

I remember a day in Junior High where they got us all together and told us about how important it was to learn to type because you'd have to do it in college and if you were good at it people would even pay you to do it for them. That must have been 1990. My classmates and I were a little ahead of the curve on PC adoption so it all seemed a little ridiculous to a lot of us. It was great to be able to type fast and all but with a computer even hunting and pecking was better than writing everything out by hand.

So, in a way, computers made typing less important. Or at least super accurate typing.