Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Telsa Cola posted:

I learned in highschool and my reaction to this day is "How the absolute gently caress do people not know how to do this or balance a check book holy poo poo"

I can write checks and do once every 2 or 3 years, but I don't even know what "balance a checkbook" means. Like, balance it on your nose, or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

ProperCauldron posted:

how is a High Yield Savings Account supposed to work? Or, how does it help save and generate money?

I give a bank $10,000 and must never go under to avoid fees. And I generate maybe if I'm lucky ~$400 a year?

But that untouchable $10,000 is off the table for the rest of my life? Like what does the end game of a HYSA look like? Handing over 5-figs forever to generate 3-figs, what??

I don't understand why HYSA get recommended, moreso are even considered essential.

Seems scammy but many use them. Maybe they're good advice coming from a monied background? Seems like a monetary version of "work hard everday doing 120% and eventually you'll be recognized and rewarded for your great deeds in our pure meritocracy" type bullshit. Like of course wealthy people gobble that up and espouse it.

Theoretically at least there's less red tape/fees/taxes involved with opening and closing one than with higher yield investments so it's better to park your money there than in a checking account where it earns literally nothing. That's pretty much it. Oh yeah, less risk too.