Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
I still don't know what a dixie cup is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

Vile_Nihlist666 posted:

On topic: I have talked to a lot of boomers and older Gen X that can't type, and when asked, say they avoided using typewriters, ever. I get the misogyny part of this, but for Boomers especially, it's like, my guy, typewriters were LITERALLY UNAVOIDABLE. How in the gently caress did you ever think it was a good idea to not at least learn how to properly type up basic documents? Even without the advent of the PC, did you really think you would never have to type ANYTHING?

Drives me crazy. Then in the age of the computer they REFUSED to learn, and now in the smartphone era, they don't HAVE to learn.

So I guess what I'm too young to understand is, why would you not want to make your life easier by learning to use the technology of your time?

I once dated a Gen X who used to hammer my laptop keyboard like a typewriter to the point the keys would sometimes pop off. She was 11 years my senior and always insisted on being right, so when I told her she didn't have to hit the keys that hard, her response was "I learned typing, thanks."