Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Dr. Quarex posted:

Shawn Spears deserves a write-up in the "guys who were cool for precisely two matches and now are back in WWE like that is going to go well for them" section surely

You're right. Here's a quick and dirty attempt at one.

Shawn Spears

Also known as WWE's Tye Dillinger, Shawn Spears is most notable for being Pinnacle's midcard goon who was a chair pervert with a confusingly cool entrance. However, once that group petered out (as described in the Tully Blanchard section in the proper Alumni section), he just kind of... stopped showing up after a while. Even as a Shawn Spears fan, it made sense. He ran a wrestling school, he had a kid, he had other unfortunate family events come up... He had a lot on his plate, and AEW's roster is deep enough that a solid midcard guy like Spears could not do anything for a while and it's fine. Shawn Spears just didn't have anything to do.

... Until Jay White and Bullet Club Gold debuted in April of 2023, and a returning Shawn Spears was positioned as a potential rival for them. And then quietly stopped being positioned as a potential rival for them, and also quietly stopped showing up at all. Again, it makes sense. His return was cool but wasn't particularly grabbing the audience's attention, and Jay White should be facing cooler people than him.

Shawn Spears returned to NXT in March of this year, and... honestly, it's probably for the best. The best use case for him is being a solid hand in a developmental division that helps all the newbies learn what they're doing. Still, I'm going to miss the guy.

EDIT: Actually he's still Shawn Spears in NXT, whoops. My fault for not actually paying attention to the weird developmental show.

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Mar 12, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

bunnyofdoom posted:

Since not in OP but are ROH wrestling in front of me, who are Queen Amanita and Red Velvet and who should I cheer?

In short, they're both in roughly the same position: a lower-card wrestler in the women's division who's mostly getting experience until they're ready to move to a more notable position, which they're both now on the cusp of. Queen Amanita is from Guinea and is a relatively new hire, Red Velvet's father and uncle were both notable Columbian boxers and has been in AEW for a while now, they're both solid wrestlers. They're both also faces, unless a lot happened on ROH that I haven't heard about, so just cheer whichever one did something cool last.