Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Token Female
Apr 2, 2007

If I hear the music...
:hydrogen:Hello all, and welcome to the Periodic Table Mafia.:hydrogen:

:siren:This game is at Day 14 :siren:

Night 0 ends
Day 1 begins!
Day 2 Begins!
Day 3 Begins!
Day 4 Begins!
Day 5 Begins!
Day 6 begins!
Day 7 Begins!
Day 8 Begins!
Day 9 Begins!
Day 10 Begins!

:fork:Game Inspiration:fork:
This game is my attempt to make a game for the exact number of people who want to play it. I didn’t want to have either not enough players sign up and the game takes a while to start or have more people sign up and wait as a replacement and come into the game later or not play at all. There’s a few ways to do this, and the way that I picked has a higher variance than others. For this reason, this is an experimental game.

As some of you may know I’ve spent a significant part of my life working with chemicals in different labs. This game is inspired by that work and also the book “The Disappearing Spoon,” by Sam Kean, which is a book of short stories describing the discovery of all of the elements. The flavor of this game is going to focus on the elements, my personal or adjacent experiences and other hopefully interesting facts, rather than the gameplay.

This game has a semi-open set up, so please read it:
:frogsiren:The Set-Up:frogsiren:
1.This is a game for 7-118 players.
2. Players will select their element, which has a predetermined role.
3. 59 roles are vanilla, and 59 roles are power roles.
4. No two power roles are identical. Some might be very similar, but no two are the same.
5. Mercury is mod-confirmed vanilla town (This is technically one of the power roles.)
6. 17 power roles are generally for the town, 16 power roles are for the mafia, 20 roles are flex roles (could be either town or mafia), three are serial killers, and three are other third party roles.
7. Vanillas will be given alignment (mafia or town) based on RNG. The number of vanilla mafia will be based on the amount of power roles for the town/mafia/3P already selected. Generally I’m shooting for 20-33% non-town. Each power role has been given a point value to indicate how powerful it is to help with balancing the flex roles and to know how to allocate the vanilla roles.
8. In the event that only town power roles are picked for example, some of the power roles can be further flexed to be a mafia role. The converse is also true, though the high number of flex roles is designed to prevent this situation.
9. For example, the role “godfather” might be selected for the mafia, but there might not be a cop role that is picked making it’s power useless for the game. Essentially I cannot guarantee a completely balanced game, but I will try my best to do so with the roles that have been selected. I have run a few dozen set up simulations for different sizes of games, and with one exception it came out in a way that could be reasonably balanced. Though this is not taking into account that there is probably going to be bias for which elements (for people’s favorites) so we’ll see.
10. If this game gets sufficiently large enough (>20 players) maybe we’ll do something for people with interest but not enough time to play to participate in some way.
11. There is a night zero for some (not all) roles.
12. The vanilla town role PM is this:

quote:

You are TOWN (periodic table) aligned. You win when all of the anti-town forces have been eliminated from the game.

Powers:
None. You are VANILLA
13. Some roles are less useful, but none of the roles are useless like a naive cop.
14. Finally, it’s possible for the mafia to know some/many/all of the unpicked roles in this game. This is to help with fake claims.

:commissar:The Rules:
1. This game is modded by Token Female. If you have questions feel free to contact me by PM or discord. PM preferred during EDT working hours.
2. The town win condition is: You win when all of the anti-Periodic Table forces have been eliminated from the game.
3. Please do not lurk. I understand that Life Happens sometimes, or in general you just might not feel up to it once the game has begun. That is fine! Please contact me, and I will sort it out one way or another, but I promise I will not be upset. Please try for 10 content posts per game day, if you want to sign up. If you can’t do this it’s okay, but please don’t sign up in that case.
4. This game will generally NOT include plurality votes. If a majority decision is not reached before the deadline, the day will end with no one being eliminated (which is bad for the town). There are roles where this rule might be affected. I will let you know if/when this is the case.
5. Anyone who may need one has been provided with a full role PM as a fake claim. In addition, flavor is not indicative of alignment.
6. You are forbidden from quoting any private communications with the moderators, from talking to any player (living or dead) outside the thread unless your role says you may.
7. Twilight Posting is allowed after hammer for the remaining living players. You may continue to post until the day-ending Mod posts begin. Relatedly, If someone is day killed/someone attempts a day kill please bring it to my attention and continue posting. Fake day actions will be punished.
8. No editing of any kind is allowed. This includes ninja edits to fix spelling, grammar, formatting, etc. If you need to, just make a mafia edit by quoting your post and fixing what you need. If you are caught making any edits, you may be modkilled without warning.
9. Join the discord for this thread. Roles will be given there.
10. No PM comparing shenanigans (format, capital letters, etc.)
11. When you sign up, please pick an unpicked atomic element. (this is to select the role)
12. Remember this game is about having fun so don’t go out of your way to be a jerk to people. Again, this should be fun!

Token Female fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Apr 7, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Token Female
Apr 2, 2007

If I hear the music...
Players and their posts
  1. AFancyQuestionMark
  2. AnonymousNarcotics (they/them
  3. CapitalistPig (He/Him)
  4. CapnAndy (he/him, will also accept "cis scum")
  5. CCKeane
  6. Cloacamazing! (she/her)
  7. CubicalSucrose
  8. death cob for cutie (he/they)
  9. Dexanth
  10. Dhaes (he/him)
  11. Diqnol
  12. Dominoes
  13. fool of sound (he/him)
  14. Grandicap (He, Him)
  15. Hal Incandenza (he/him/hal)
  16. hambeet (he/him)
  17. Ignatius M. Meen (he/him/whatever)
  18. ilmucche
  19. Johnny Keats
  20. Jose Valasquez (he/him/his)
  21. lih (she/her)
  22. Maugrim (He/him)
  23. merk (he/him)
  24. Mr. Humalong (w/e)
  25. My Second Re-Reg
  26. mycelia (he/him)
  27. NeverHelm (He/Him)
  28. Pander
  29. PhantomMuzzles (She/Her)
  30. Pinterest Mom
  31. Pussy Quipped (He/Him)
  32. Rhymes With Clue
  33. saladscooper (he/him)
  34. Sandwolf (He/Him)
  35. shwinnebego (he/him)
  36. Spoonsy (he/him/his)
  37. SporkChan (He/Him)
  38. STING 64 (his)
  39. Sub Rosa
  40. Tea Party Crasher
  41. The Ninth Layer
  42. Tired Moritz
  43. Tom Tucker
  44. Voodoofly (He/Him/Whatever)
  45. windshipper
  46. wins32767
  47. winvirus
  48. yuming (she/her)
  49. zzyzx (his excellency)

:hydrogen:Player elements:hydrogen:
1. Diqnol - H - Hydrogen
2. Windshipper - He - Helium
3. Tom Tucker - Li - Lithium
4. Grandicap - Be - Beryllium
5. hambeet - B - Boron
6. Sandwolf - C - Carbon
7. Dominoes - N - Nitrogen
8. Voodoofly - O - Oxygen
9. wins32767 - F - Fluorine
10. Yuming - Ne - Neon
11. mycelia - Na - Sodium
13. Pinterest Mom - Al - Aluminium
14. Dexanth - Si - Silicon
16. PhantomMuzzles - S - Sulfur
17. Winvirus - Cl - Chlorine
19. Merk - K - Potassium
21. Pander - Sc - Scandium
25. Johnny Keats - Mn - Manganese
26. Tired Moritz - Fe - Iron
28. ilmucche - Ni - Nickel
29. CapnAndy - Cu - Copper
31. Maugrim - Ga - Gallium
33. AFancyQuestionMark - As - Arsenic
36. CCKeane - Kr - Krypton
42. Rhymes With Clue - Mo - Molybdenum
43. Hal Incandenza - Tc - Technetium
46. CapitalistPig - Pd - Palladium
47. The Ninth Layer - Ag - Silver
53. lih - I - Iodine
54. Pussy Quipped - Xe - Xenon
63. Cloacamazing - Eu - Europium
74. saladscooper - W - Tungsten
76. death cob for cutie - Os - Osmium
79. AnonymousNarcotics - Au - Gold
80. zzyzx - Hg - Mercury
82. Spoonsy - Pb - Lead
83. Ignatius M. Meen - Bi -Bismuth
84. shwinnebego - Po - Polonium
86. Tea Party Crasher - Rn - Radon
88. STING 64 - Ra - Radium
90. Mr. Humalong - Th - Thorium
92. NeverHelm - U - Uranium
94. fool of sound - Pu - Plutonium
95. My Second Re-Reg - Am - Americium
98. SporkChan - Cf - Californium
99. Jose Valasquez - Es - Einsteinium
106. CubicalSucrose - Sg - Seaborgium
115. SubRosa - Mc - Moscovium
118. Dhaes - Og - Oganesson

The Dead:
Day 1CubicalSucrose, Seaborgium, SELF ALIGNED REGRESSING SERIAL KILLER, was voted out day 1
Night 1 Pander, scandium, TOWN SHY DOCTOR (periodic table aligned), was recategorized and misplaced night 1
The Ninth Layer, silver, VANILLA TOWN, was removed from history night 1

Day 2 CapnAndy, copper, VANILLA TOWN (periodic table aligned), was degraded in a particle accelerator Day 2
Tea Party Crashers, VANILLA TOWN (periodic table aligned), was voted out day 2
Cloacamazing!, Europium, DMITRI MENDELEEV aligned (MAFIA) Ninja was voted out day 2

Night 2 SubRosa, Moscovium, TOWN INTERVIEWER (Periodic table aligned) was recategorized and misplaced night 2
Wins32767, Fluorine, TOWN SENSOR (Periodic table aligned) was removed from history night 2

Day3 Tired Moritz, Iron, DMITRI MENDELEEV aligned (MAFIA) ORACLE, was voted out Day 3
Night 3 Ignatius M. Meen, Bismuth, TOWN DELAYED TRACKER (periodic table aligned), was removed from history night 3
Hambeet, Boron, VANILLA TOWN (periodic table aligned), was was recategorized and misplaced night 3

Day 4 Johnny Keats, Manganese, VANILLA TOWN, (periodic table aligned) has left the game
Winvirus, chlorine, DMITRI MENDELEEV aligned (MAFIA) JAILER was voted out Day 4.
Night 4 Mr. Humalong, Thorium, VANILLA TOWN (Periodic table aligned), was recategorized and misplaced night 4
Hal Incendesza, Technetium, TOWN DOCTOR, (Periodic Table aligned), was lost to history night 4
Fool of Sound, Plutonium, DMITRI MENDELEEV aligned (MAFIA) GODFATHERIZER, succumbed to their wounds night 4

Day 5 Tom Tucker, Lithium, VANILLA TOWN (Periodic table aligned) was voted out day 5
Neverhelm, TOWN FISSIONER, (Periodic Table aligned) was removed due to the Let's Limit Lurking Program on day 5.

Night 5 Pinterest Mom, VANILLA TOWN (Periodic table aligned) was killed with the boon from Members of the Academy of Sciences, AND underwent combustion night 5.
Ilmucchi, Nickel, TOWN COP (Periodic table aligned) was was was recategorized and misplaced night 5
STING64, Radium, LOTHAR MEYER aligned (MAFIA) TIME TRAVELER exploded night 5

Day 6 DeathCob for Cutie, VANILLA TOWN, was degraded in a particle accelerator Day 6
Rhymes with Clue, Molybdenum, DMITRI MENDELEEV aligned (MAFIA) DAY EMT was voted out day 6
Night 6 Jose Valasquez, Einsteinium, TOWN ECCO COP, (Periodic table aligned) violated Dalton's conservation of matter on night 6
Day 7 AnonymousNarcotics, Gold, TOWN GLOBAL WATCHER (Periodic table aligned) was voted out day 7.
Night 7 Lih, Iodine, LOTHAR MEYER aligned (MAFIA) SNIPER was removed from history night 7
Grandicap, Berylium, VANILLA TOWN (Periodic table aligned) underwent combustion night 7

Day 8 Dominoes, DMITRI MENDELEEV aligned (MAFIA) NIGHT ACTION COP was degraded in a particle accelerator Day 8
Saladscooper, Tungsten, LOTHAR MEYER aligned (MAFIA), ROLE COP, was voted out day 8

Night 8 Dhaes, Oganesson, VANILLA TOWN (Periodic table aligned) was recategorized and misplaced night 8
Day 9 CapitalistPig, Palladium, DMITRI MENDELEEV aligned (MAFIA) MESSENGER was voted out day 9
Night 9 Windshipper, Helium, VANILLA TOWN (Periodic table aligned) was recategorized and misplaced night 9
Phantommuzzle, Sulfur, VANILLA TOWN (Periodic table aligned), underwent combustion night 9

Day 10 Zzyzx, Mercury, MOD-CONFIRMED VANILLA TOWN, was degraded in a particle accelerator day 10
Diqnol, Hydrogen, LOTHAR MEYER aligned (MAFIA) DAY VIG, was voted out day 10
Night 10 CCKeane, Kyrpton, TOWN TRACKER, (Periodic table aligned) was Recategorized and misplaced night 10
Day11 Voodoofly, Oxygen, LOTHAR MEYER aligned (MAFIA) VANILLA, was voted out on day 11.
Night 11 Sandwolf, Carbon, TOWN SELF-WATCHER(Periodic table aligned) was recategorized and misplaced night 11
shwinnebego, Polonium, VANILLA TOWN (Periodic table aligned), underwent combustion night 11

Day 12 Mycelia, Sodium, PASSIVE SERIAL KILLER (Self-aligned), was vote out day 12
Night 12 Yuming, Neon, VANILLA TOWN, recategorized and misplaced night 12
Day 13 Merk, Potassium, LOTHAR MEYER aligned (MAFIA) SPY, was voted out day 13.
Night 13 My Second Re-Reg, Amercium, TOWN NIGHT VIGILANTE (Periodic table aligned) was recategorized and misplaced Night 13
SporkChan, Californium, VANILLA TOWN (Periodic Table aligned) underwent combustion Night 13

Day 14 Spoonsy, Lead, VANILLA TOWN )Periodic Table aligned) was voted out day 14

Token Female fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Apr 8, 2024

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I will play.

Token Female
Apr 2, 2007

If I hear the music...

merk posted:

I will play.

Great! Please pick an element, which will determine your role.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

I’ve always felt technetium was an underrated element

Spoonsy
Dec 6, 2005

Yeah, life is hilariously cruel.
Grimey Drawer
Can I be Tom Lehrer?

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
I unfortunately cannot play due to Life Circumstances, but thank you for the invite and it is a very fun blast from the past seeing these people.

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance
I’ll be Neon!

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

I'll be Mercury.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

I'll be Einsteinium obviously :smug:

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I'll take Gallium, which I presume is the eponymous Disappearing Spoon.

Token Female
Apr 2, 2007

If I hear the music...

Maugrim posted:

I'll take Gallium, which I presume is the eponymous Disappearing Spoon.

It is, you got it!

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Put me in as Arsenic

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

You only delay the inevitable. All of this island will soon belong to me.

hell, i’ll come out of retirement. lemme be the deadly Arsenic

e: drat!! beaten by minutes. let me think

e2: i’ll be the slightly less deadly Chlorine

Token Female
Apr 2, 2007

If I hear the music...

winvirus posted:

hell, i’ll come out of retirement. lemme be the deadly Arsenic

e: drat!! beaten by minutes. let me think

Most of the elements in Poisoners corridor are still there.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I will sign up for this! I want to be copper, I will be a vig hunting the perfidious Ea-Nasir

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I will play! And seeing as I have an orbital dot diagram of carbon tattooed on me, I shall be carbon!!

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

I will play!

Put me in there with Lithium.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
If Seaborgium isn't a cult recruiting role I will be rather cross.

saladscooper
Jan 25, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
In as tungsten

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
ok

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Can’t tell if FoS wants Oxygen or Potassium

PhantomMuzzles
Jun 23, 2022

It's a puzzle.
May I please play? And if so may I please be sulfur because I am a stinky lady

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
3 games at once? Why not.

I'll be GOLD

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I hereby promise one Ea-Nasir meme every gameday until I am justifiably killed for my bullshit

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

If I wasn't out from the 28-6th I'd be down, life's a bit busier these days but feel free to put me under the "if the game gets sufficiently large" category

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Is there still room I would like to play

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
EU timezone player signing up for Europium!

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Atoramos posted:

If I wasn't out from the 28-6th I'd be down, life's a bit busier these days but feel free to put me under the "if the game gets sufficiently large" category

Holy hell how’re you doing buddy

Token Female
Apr 2, 2007

If I hear the music...

Tea Party Crasher posted:

Is there still room I would like to play

There is plenty of room, please pick an element

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Excuse me I'll be Radon

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Never attribute to malice that post which is adequately explained by a poor sense of humor.
Chemistry is fun. I'll take element 92 - Uranium (U) please, because I radiate vibes that may or may not be good.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Sandwolf posted:

Holy hell how’re you doing buddy

Last few years have been insane (lost the parents, had two kids, changed homes and jobs). But overall, I can't complain. I'm out those days since we're taking the kids to Florida including a few days at Disney.

We have boardgame night every week with friends, and while One Night is a common theme it never quite fills the same void.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Palladium please

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I would also like to start a Fantasy Currency masonry with Silver, Gold, and Platinum tia

Atoramos posted:

Last few years have been insane (lost the parents, had two kids, changed homes and jobs). But overall, I can't complain. I'm out those days since we're taking the kids to Florida including a few days at Disney.
Disney is cool and good.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

CapnAndy posted:

I would also like to start a Fantasy Currency masonry with Silver, Gold, and Platinum tia

Disney is cool and good.

What, no Electrum?

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Oh man, there are so many good elements, but in the end I'm a pretty salty person so I'll take Sodium please!

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

In.

Element - F

wins32767 fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Mar 11, 2024

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

This is like a mafia old folks home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoonsy
Dec 6, 2005