Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

The last thing an ice cream cone ever sees

Pussy Quipped posted:

About to drive home from work but I just wanted to say this post alone is making me want to vote Dex. Scum Dex misunderstood AFQs power and tried to kill maugrim last night not realizing he had already been set to be protected

no the reason I am pushing on this is that AFQM is claiming to protect Yuming once zzyzx dies, and yet Yuming died anyhow. Which does not add up for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

Let's all fullclaim. I am a delayed doctor who protects people for the next night. I protected Iggy N0 (N1) and xxyzx for the rest of the game until they got day killed. From then on, I protected yuming and then maugrim

I consistently voted scum all game

like note the wording here.

its not 'i started protecting yuming AND maugrim' its 'yuming and THEN maugrim' implying the protection swapped once yuming died.

but zzyzx died days before yuming did. So as a delayed doc (which I am guessing is 'apply on night X, protected night X+1') should have been keeping yuming safe

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

and if yuming had been replaced by merk yuming would have gotten the headache flavor which im almost certain is merk's roleblock now

its possible she never posted about getting it but I find that sketch

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I apologize, it is actually me who misunderstood and didn’t realize there was a day gap betweeen zzyzx and yuming.

That means AFQ lied or left information out.

But maugrim did get protected by something last night …. So idk how he could get that flavor unless maugrim is scum and purposefully withheld the kill and then lied about being targeted, but maugrim was basically confirmed town so why do that gambit at all?

I’ve been thinking about it today and if I’m town, and maugrim is town, and AFQ is a doctor that very evidently protected maugrim last night, I cannot logically see anyone else as the scum but Dexanth. Would a lot of bussing had to have taken place? Yeah probably but idk what other conclusion I can come to.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

merk posted:

I believe Dex is town but haven’t rethought that yet.

Spoonsy hanging around still but also would’ve hammered.

This is the first time in the game that merk makes a post regarding Dexanths alignment and it’s his second to last post before getting dunked.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Trying to wrap my head around this as I cooked dinner.

Re:AFQ being scum and doing some gambit as dex hypothesized. the only “doctor” action we are able to verify right now is the one that happened last night.
Afq did not offer up his target until prompted and maugrim had already posted about it. That’s a bad look.
Re-reading it, maugrims flavor did say “room was trashed” which could really mean anything I suppose.
So AFQ withholds the kill, does whatever it is that trashes the room, then claims after maugrim posts about it that, yeah that was him doctoring.
Thinking that he can get a relatively easy lunch on me, then win the game after tonight’s kill.

But then why not just kill dex and say he protected maugrim and then push me like he is doing anyway and only needs to convince maugrim and not both of you?? Just to confuse us?

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

Pussy Quipped posted:

I apologize, it is actually me who misunderstood and didn’t realize there was a day gap betweeen zzyzx and yuming.

That means AFQ lied or left information out.

But maugrim did get protected by something last night …. So idk how he could get that flavor unless maugrim is scum and purposefully withheld the kill and then lied about being targeted, but maugrim was basically confirmed town so why do that gambit at all?

I’ve been thinking about it today and if I’m town, and maugrim is town, and AFQ is a doctor that very evidently protected maugrim last night, I cannot logically see anyone else as the scum but Dexanth. Would a lot of bussing had to have taken place? Yeah probably but idk what other conclusion I can come to.

AFQ protects Maugrim 2 nights ago, Merk kills MSRR

Last night, AFQ targets Maugrim knowing the kill will be blocked.

Thats how that would work, thats how its a scum gambit to encourage us to get someone else, because AFQM can then kill at night and scum win

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

Pussy Quipped posted:

Trying to wrap my head around this as I cooked dinner.

Re:AFQ being scum and doing some gambit as dex hypothesized. the only “doctor” action we are able to verify right now is the one that happened last night.
Afq did not offer up his target until prompted and maugrim had already posted about it. That’s a bad look.
Re-reading it, maugrims flavor did say “room was trashed” which could really mean anything I suppose.
So AFQ withholds the kill, does whatever it is that trashes the room, then claims after maugrim posts about it that, yeah that was him doctoring.
Thinking that he can get a relatively easy lunch on me, then win the game after tonight’s kill.

But then why not just kill dex and say he protected maugrim and then push me like he is doing anyway and only needs to convince maugrim and not both of you?? Just to confuse us?

basically yes, it builds town cred and since its mylo anyhow this makes them look townie when they are just blocking themselves

cause think about it AFQM claimed yesterday when Spoonsy was still alive

and in that post noted they protected maugrim

theyve also indicated in their post they can multi protect

so targeting maugrim is basically playing right into the doc claim.

if im scum here id be targeting someone else at that point - probably AFQM themselves. After all, if I'm scum I now know their doctor claim is true. And if I target them and miss, well, I can play the 'they are lying and withheld the kill for town cred' card

like look at my play and find something in it that is scummy

whereas look at AFQM - the 'townie' part is the votes, but there are hardly any cases or comprehensive thoughts to get a truly full read

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

The other option here is we nolunch and just see what happens tonight. If AFQM is town and not lying they can keep maugrim alive indefinitely, then one of the remaining 3 of us has to go down and we go for maugrim read

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

then the other reason is the sudden vote on you which was very certain. to me it screams 'I cant seriously case dex, I def cant case maug, I have to push PQ as the only viable candidate'

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
My thinking aligns with Dex. I speculated during the night that a scum AFQM might withhold the kill for town cred but what actually seems to have happened, knowing that Tokes is unusually informative with flavour, is he targeted the player he had protected the previous night.

The yuming prot doesn't add up either. And there have been various cases of pushing things ahead to prevent discussion, like the winvirus (I think?) hammer and the immediate vote on PQ today.

PQ's confusion about how his power works seems like disengaged town which has been their vibe all game. If I'm wrong I'm wrong!

##vote Fancy

Token Female
Apr 2, 2007

If I hear the music...
Votecount for Day 15

AFancyQuestionMark (2): Dexanth, Maugrim
Pussy Quipped (1): AFancyQuestionMark

Not Voting (1): Pussy Quipped

With 4 alive, it's 3 votes to execute. The current deadline is April 09th, 2024 at 9 p.m. EDT -- that's in about 14 hours, 35 minutes.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
To clarify, I only protected yuming the night she died, i.e. too late to matter

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Also, whiever is voting me after advocating no lunch, that's a bad look

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

##vote AFQ
:hammer:

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

:redhammer:

Token Female
Apr 2, 2007

If I hear the music...
Final Votecount for Day 15 :redhammer:

AFancyQuestionMark (3): Dexanth, Maugrim, Pussy Quipped
Pussy Quipped (1): AFancyQuestionMark

Not Voting (0):

With 4 alive, it's 3 votes to execute. The current deadline is April 09th, 2024 at 9 p.m. EDT -- that's in about 12 hours, 25 minutes.

Token Female
Apr 2, 2007

If I hear the music...
A favorite poison in popular culture. Instead of talking about chemistry here, I would like to talk about the movie “Arsenic and Old Lace” This movie from 1944 has Cary Grant, who is returning home for his honeymoon to his aunts that raised him. While he’s been out in the world, his aunts have decided to start a bed and breakfast, where if they think the person who is staying at their room is sad and has nothing going on in his life, they poison him with arsenic, and bury him in the basement. Also there’s an escaped serial killer on the loose and there’s a scene where the old ladies and the serial killer compare body counts. This movie is a screwball comedy from that era. It’s hilarious and rules. I would recommend it if you have the time.

AFancyQuestionMark, TOWN DELAYED DOCTOR (Periodic table aligned was voted out day 15

It is now Night 15. Please get in your night actions!

Token Female
Apr 2, 2007

If I hear the music...
Silicon protecting groups are very common in organic chemistry for their ease of use, high reaction yields, and variety. These are used most commonly to protect alcohol groups though some nitrogen groups are used as well. They range in size from a small trimethyl silyl group to a larger diphenyl, tert-buryl and some even bigger than that. What’s so nice about them is that the smaller ones can be removed with very gentle conditions, while not affecting the larger silyl groups. This creates a degree of selectivity.

Dexanth, VANILLA TOWN (Periodic table aligned) was recategorized and misplaced Night 15

A classic chemistry prank involves the properties of Gallium. Gallium has a melting temperature of 85 F (30 C). Chemists would make spoons out of Gallium, and give them to other people to stir their coffee or tea. The spoon would disappear (melt) when in contact with the hot drink freaking the other person out. The Gallium would sit at the bottom of the cup as a liquid. It is also important to mention that gallium is not toxic in it’s element form.

Maugrim, Gallium, VANILLA TOWN (Periodic table aligned) was killed via ENDGAME

Xenon was discovered in 1898 by William Ramsey and Morris Travers shortly after their discovery of krypton and neon. Ramsey would go on to win the Nobel Prize in 1905 for this work. Xenon comes from Greek meaning stranger or guest. Unlike the other stable noble gasses, Xenon is a very minor component of the air at 20 parts per billion. As a larger atom, despite being a noble gas, some of its outer electrons can be picked off by electron needy elements like fluorine, even to a greater extent than Krypton.

Pussy Quipped, Xenon, LOTHAR MEYER aligned (MAFIA) DAY HIDER has survived and won the game for The LOTHAR MEYER ALIGNED TEAM!

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

:catdrugs:

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

You only delay the inevitable. All of this island will soon belong to me.

gg all ty tf for running the game!

saladscooper
Jan 25, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
thanks for the game tokes!

i am gloating from beyond the grave even though i barely did anything

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Woooo gg

Token Female
Apr 2, 2007

If I hear the music...
Periodic Table Postmodern

Thank you to all that signed up or participated in anyway
I want to begin here by expressing my gratitude to all of the players, members of the academy of sciences, and observers. I wasn’t expecting there to be this much interest for this experimental game. I’m appreciative of all of the time and effort that y’all have spent towards it. It’s been a humbling experience.

The general premise
As stated previously a large part of the motivation to run this game was to run a game that could have any number of players. I find it to be a bit disappointing having to either wait a bunch of days for the game to start because we really just need a few more players to reach the quota, or that there’s a bunch of replacements that are not able to play the game or have to jump in after multiple days then have to try to explain what the person who had this role before what trying to do. The idea of having the roles be randomly assigned to elements, then have them be picked seemed like a fun idea to be able to make a game regardless of the amount of people (above a minimum amount) and be somewhat replayable with very different results. I think this largely worked (with exceptions which will be discussed below). I think probably the safer way to go would be to have thresholds, like where a 3P is added with every 13 players, and a town power roles every 5-6, and mafia power role every 7 players for example. (Don’t quote me on these numbers I spent 0 time actually thinking that example through). So different things can be in harmony for balance.

With needing a value that was seemingly sufficiently high I picked the periodic table as a theme since I have a bunch of experience with many of the elements, and I wanted to talk about it. I had a lot of fun writing up everyone’s death flavor, though it’s probably clear which elements I don’t have experience with since they sound like they are from a wikipedia article, which is true.

With this set up, I did spend a fair amount of time running simulations of different game sizes to see if they worked, though the largest size I tested was 27 players (which is the largest game I’ve run prior to this one).

Again, I’m very appreciative for everyone who played, it’s just a game this size was something that I didn’t really know what to do with, having never played or lurked any game quite like this. How do I make a game this size fair? How do I keep the pace going so that this doesn’t take months? Now that I’ve done it, I do have some ideas.

I knew with the elements people picked that we were going to have two serial killers. I didn’t want to have only one mafia group, because I really wanted to have more night kills per cycle to get the game moving along faster. I debated, and have a pretty detailed version of the set up with three mafia groups of 5 players each. I might include that below or later if asked. Ultimately I picked two groups of 7 mafia members. Ultimately I think this is a bit too much in terms of the number of anti-town. There’s 16 total, and thus this relies on night/day kills taking out a decent amount of the anti-town, since voting cannot get to all of them. This takes some of the power out of the town’s hands since there’s a lower ratio of voted out people to night/day killed people. I think doing six each in both mafia groups might have been more reasonable, or even an off balanced mafia team with one with fewer players but more powerful roles.

Token Female
Apr 2, 2007

If I hear the music...
Things that worked well

Day 2 Event: The Mafia Gambit
This was one of the events picked by the Academy of Sciences that I think worked the best. I think this is an event that worked well because
1. This was a large game
2. There was enough info on day 2 that there could be a somewhat informed choice, but not late enough that some investigative role could pick out multiple non-town members to pick off.
3. Giving the losing mafia team an extra kill also added an extra dynamic that if there was only one mafia member voted out, the order really mattered.

I liked this and would be open to this again. I think the day 2 deadline was a real high point for me just reading the thread. :munch:

Blast from the past
It was amazing to have so many people back that I haven’t heard from in years. It was wonderful to talk with you again, and to be doing mafia with you. This was very exciting for me and I hope many of you feel similarly. I was thrilled to see so many of you join.

New (to me) players
Some of you might have been around for years and years, and I’m just not aware. I’ve been sort of not participating in the mafia community for years. I think I’ve only played one game in the last 4 years, and this is the second game I’ve modded in almost 7 years, and I imagine that I was also a complete unknown to many of you as well. I’m appreciative that you decided to join this weird game, and I enjoyed having you play it.

Role Design
As Cube pointed out on day 1, it’s actually not that impossible to make 59 roles especially if you do different versions of it. I’m happy that some of the roles that I really like e.g. time traveling bodyguard, and fission, and Cube’s SK role got picked. A few of the wildest ones didn’t get picked. I might keep those secret for now to use at another time. I’ve actually got inspired for a few new ones. For example, I’ve only done messenger roles that give out false information, but I think I might make a roleblocking role, where if it is an information gaining role a maybe random person gets the result if it were to have gone through. I’m really taken with that idea.

Things that need improvement

Killing action results
Giving players who survived a night kill, especially at the end game is probably too much information and confirms too many things. I do like to give players, even vanilla ones some flavor for the night for fun and to maybe add some healthy paranoia, but I think this might be too much, and I probably won’t include at least this aspect of it in the future. Roleblocks I think I can go either way on. Certainly people need to know if their action fails. For vanilla roles, do they need to know that they were roleblocked? I think that might depend on the game.

The Balance
Look, I’ll start this off mentioning that I did say in the OP that I could not completely balance this game. I also think this game was generally successful, and honestly it worked out better than I hoped.

HOWEVER

I believe that II gravely underpowered the DMITRI MENDELEEV group compared to the LOYER MEYER group. My rationale at the time was that I had Oracle and Messenger highly rated powers for the mafia, and that didn’t come to pass. In the last game I ran, I had a mafia role that could do something similar to the messenger and it was confirmed that it was the most over powered role in that game. There were a few smaller changes that made it maybe less effective, though Diqnol getting the message and using it as justification to kill CapnAndy on day 2, probably kill the effectiveness of that power for the rest of the game. The goal of the oracle (from my perspective) was to give the mafia group a bunch of plausible fake claims (roles they knew that were not picked). Obviously that didn’t work as I had thought. And then taking the messenger and oracle out in terms of roles between the two mafia groups, their roles under perform comparatively.

The real issue I have with this set up for me, is that it’s very last minute trying to balance the game. Also with Ilmucche joining at the last bit as a strong town role of sane cop, I was changing things even more last minute, since I was trying to counterbalance the role and made some changes. Most games that I make I’m working on the set up over the course of a few months (not continuously. Like I make the set up and then check it in 1-2 weeks after I forget about it, and look at it with fresh eyes. And do that several times.) and I don’t really like working on the fly like that.

And again, I think that reducing the amount of mafia members but making them some more useful roles could work.

Here is what I’d do differently

(every member of the mafia gets to pick one element, and I will tell them what that role is to give them a chance to find some credible fake claims)

The two SKs (with some modification to mycelia’s role)

Mafia 1:
(group power: can forgo night kill to have it be a day kill the next day)
-Sane Cop
-shy doctor
-Jailer
-untrackable
-delayed tracker
-godfatherizer

Mafia 2:
-Spy
-rolecop
-time traveling bodyguard
-unwatchable
-day vig (once every three days)
-messanger

Town:
Delayed doc
self-protecting doc
Day EMT
Interviewer (really a jailer that protects with a paranoid cop investigation)
Day hider
sensor
Night action cop
Ecco cop
Tracker
Self-watcher
Global watcher
Fission
Oracle
Night vig
Bunch of vanilla

Might be better. I don’t know. Please feel free to show what you would do with these roles.

Also Mycelia’s Serial kill was something that was more appealing at a smaller sized game. Probably could have done something different with it as the game got larger.

Token Female
Apr 2, 2007

If I hear the music...
The roles

I’m not going to give up all of my role here for potential use in other games, but I’ll show you most of what was possible in this game. For how I organized my roles I put them into a few types (investigation, protection, blocking, killing, confusion/bypass, and others).

Also roles were adjustable. For a smaller game, I would have made the vigs either a one or two shot vig, and I would make Cube’s role have some of those powers bundled up so that they would lose maybe two of them when killing someone for example.

Investigation roles:

Fluorine - Sensor - Wins32767
Nickel - Sane cop - Ilmucchi
Calcium - Insane Cop
Einsteinium - 3-person ecco cop - Jose
Iridium - ????
Thallium - Misalignment cop (tells if someone would investigate incorrectly)
Chromium - Watcher
Gold - Global watcher - AnnoyNarc
Bismuth - Delayed tracker - Iggy
Moscowvium - interviewer (jailer with protection+ insane cop) - subrosa
Carbon - selfwatcher - sandwolf
Krypton - tracker - CCKeane
Nitrogen - role action cop - Dominoes
Tungsten - role cop -Saladscooper
Darmstadtium -????

Protective roles
Technecium - self protecting doc -Hal
Molybdenum - Day EMT - Rhymes with Clue
Radium - Time Traveling bodyguard - String64
Arcenic - delayed doc - AFQM
Gadolinium - ?????
Mendelevium - ?????
Dubnium -Day doctor (like day EMT but would save)
Scandium - Shy doc - Pander
Neptunium - doctor with no self protection

Blocking
Germanium - Fusion (like fission but with adding not subtracting)
Uranium - Fission - Neverhelm
Bromine - roleblocker
Chlorine- Jailer (hide and protect) -winvirus
Potassium - Spy - Merk
Rutherfordium - ??????

Killing roles
Darmstadtium -???? (also investigation cross over)
Americium - Night Vig - My second re-reg
Hydrogen - Day vig )diqnol
Lutetium - Gun marker (gives out one shot vigs to people as a night action)
Nobelium - ?????
Fermium - Voodoofly night vig (only used on players in the bottom 25% of post count)
Niobium - ???????
Livermorium - Double night kill for mafia members only
Cesium - Poisoner

confusion/bypass
Indium - Night Bulletproof
Bohrium - Day bulletproof
Xenon -Day hider - Pussy quipped
Barium -Miller make (anyone who targets this play will investigate as anti-town that night
Strontium - Godfather
Europium -Ninja (tracker proof) -cloacamazing
Iodine - Sniper (watcher proof) -lih
Argon -Strongman
Cadmium - framer
Plutonium -Godfatherizer -fool of Sound
Chlorine -Palladium - CPig

Other
Iron- Oracle - TMor
Terbium - Enabler (target gets double action the next night
Praseodymium - ??????
Mercury - Mod-confirmed town - zzyzx

SKs:
Sodium - Passive SK - Mycelia
Seborgium - Regressive SK - Cube
Rubidium - ???????

3P weirdos
Titanium - ??????
Phosphorus - ??????
Hassium - ???????

And if this doesn’t add up to 59, I left something out through copying and pasting, and will remain a mystery

Night actions
Night 0
Winvirus Jails Diqnol
TMor asks about PGO (yes more or less)
Dominoes investigates Tom tucker Night action (None)
Afancy? Protects Iggy for night 1
Anarch global watches Yuming
Sandwolf sees no one
Wins32767 gets a result of 1 (cube)
Sting64 sees no kills

Night 1
Merk blocks DeathCob
Winvirus blocks CapnAndy
NeverHelm fissions zzyzx (Platinum is vanilla)
Subrosa interviews Tmor (anti-town)
Fool of sound godfatherizes Cloacamazing
CPig messages Diqnol
Tmor asks about bus drivers (blocked)
Iggy tracks tmor (didn’t target anyone night 1)
Ilmucche investigates zzyzx (town)
Jose investigates Tom, CapnAndy, Merk (fails, Merk hidden)
Afancy? Protects zzyzx
Saladscooper investigates subrosa (jailer with investigation)
Hal protects Hal
Pander protects merk (fails because is targeted by merk killing them)
Wins32767 gets a result of 2 (Deathcob and cloacamazing)
MySecond re-reg kills Iggy (blocked protected by Afancy? On night 0)
Cloacamazing kills TNL
Merk Kills Pander
CCKeane tracks CapnAndy (no where)
Sandwolf sees no one
Anarch global watches TPC (sees no one)
Dominoes checks CCKeane (yes night action)
Sting saves no one

Night 2
Merk blocks Tom Tucker
Winvirus blocks CCKeane
NeverHelm fissions Maugrum (Megnesium is vanilla)
Subrosa interviews rhymes with blue (antitown)
Fool of sound godfatherizes winvirus
CPig messages grandicap
Tmor asks about bus drivers (does not exist in the set up or game)
Iggy tracks fool of sound (cloacamazing)
Ilmucche investigates Tmor (anti-town)
Jose investigates Tom, Voodoo, Merk (fails, Merk hidden)
Afancy? Protects zzyzx
Saladscooper investigates Fool of sound (godfatherizer)
Hal protects Hal
Wins32767 gets a result of 2 (tom tucker and winvirus)
Rhymes with clue kills saladscooper (blocked by subrosa
Fool of sound uses the extra kill from cloacamazing dying to kill wins32767
Lih Kills Subrosa
CCKeane tracks grandicap (blocked)
Sandwolf sees no one
Anarch global watches Tmor (Ilmucche)
Dominoes checks Deathcob (no night action)
Sting saves no one

Night 3
Merk blocks Tom Tucker
Winvirus blocks ilmucche
NeverHelm fissions Fool of Sound (Helium is taken)
Fool of sound godfatherizes CPig (blocked)
Iggy made an action that I didn’t see buried in their channel, but they died so, I apparently didn’t record what it was
Ilmucche investigates Tmor (anti-town)
Jose investigates Lih, Winvirus, PhantomMuzzle (antitown for winvirus and lih)
Afancy? Protects zzyzx
Saladscooper investigates dhaes (vanilla)
Hal protects ilmucche
CPig kills Iggy
Merk Kills Hambeet
My second re-reg kills Merk (hidden)
CCKeane tracks neverhelm (Fool of Sound)
Sandwolf sees no one
Anarch global watches Tmor (Ilmucche)
Dominoes checks PMom (no night action)
Sting saves no one

Night 4
Merk blocks rhymes with clue
NeverHelm fissions dexanth (whatever is in common is also vanilla)
Fool of sound godfatherizes CPig
Ilmucche investigates Maugrim (town)
Jose investigates Yuming, Salasscooper, Windshipper (antitown for salasscooper)
Afancy? Protects zzyzx
Saladscooper investigates dominoes (night action cop)
Hal protects ilmucche
CPig kills Hal
Lih Kills Humalong
CCKeane tracks PMom (no where)
Sandwolf sees no one
Anarch global watches self (no one)
Dominoes checks Lih (yes night action)
Sting saves no one

Night 5
Merk blocks sandwolf
Jose investigates Diqnol, anarch, Ilmucche (antitown for diqnol)
Afancy? Protects zzyzx
Saladscooper investigates rhymes with clue (day EMT)
Ilmucche uses boon to kill Pmom
My second rereg kills PMom
CPig kills Diqnol
Lih Kills ilmucche
CCKeane tracks Dexanth (no where)
Sandwolf is blocked so someone targeted
Anarch global watches CCKeane (no one)
Dominoes checks spoonsy (no night action)
Sting saves Diqnol and dies

Night 6
Merk blocks domines

Afancy? Protects zzyzx
Saladscooper investigates dexanth (vanilla)
CPig kills merk (blocked hidden)
Merk Kills zzyzx (protected by AfancyQM)
CCKeane tracks Dominoes (zzyzx as merk)
Sandwolf watches no one
Anarch global watches Grandicap (no one)
Dominoes is blocked
Jose investigates mycelia, grandicap, spoonsy (antitown for diqnol)
Mycelia kills Jose

Night 7
Merk blocks domines
Afancy? Protects zzyzx
Saladscooper investigates CPig (messenger)
CPig kills LIH
My second re-reg kills granicap
CCKeane tracks sandwolf (nowhere)
Sandwolf watches CCKeane
Dominoes is blocked
LIH Kills mycelia (but already dead, mycelia last to ask, and doesn’t double kill flavor)

Night 8
Merk blocks CPig
Afancy? Protects zzyzx
CPig kills voodoofly (blocked)
Voodoofly kills Dhaes
CCKeane tracks PQ (nowhere)
Sandwolf watches no one

Night 9
Merk blocks Maugrim
Afancy? Protects zzyzx
My second re-reg kills phantommuzzle
Voodoofly kills windshipper
CCKeane tracks voodoofly (windshipper)
Sandwolf watches no one

Night 10
Merk blocks spoonsy
Afancy? Protects CCKeane
Voodoofly kills CCKeane
Sandwolf watches no one

Night 11
Merk blocks spoonsy
Afancy? Protects Maugrim
Merk kills sandwolf
My second re-reg kills shwinn
Sandwolf watches Spoonsy (really merk) come to kill him

Night 12
Merk blocks my second re-reg
Afancy? Protects Yuming
PQ kills Yuming

Night 13
AfancyQuestionMark protects Maugrim
PQ kills My Second Re-Reg
My Second re-reg kills SporkChan

Night 14
AfancyQuestionMark protects Maugrim
PQ kills Maugrim (blocked)

In conclusion
I had a lot of fun running this game and I hope that all of the players had a good time as well. I think there is some work that can be done to make this a more balanced game, though I’m not exactly sure what a well-balanced 49 person game really is. I do think that this was a fun/interesting way to set up a game. It was nice to have all of the people who wanted to play this game play this game whatever number that is. I think I might want to run something like this game again in the future with some retooling on some of the roles. Anyone who likes this idea, feel free to steal it and improve upon it. Though I think the next game that I do, I would like to have more than like a day to do the balancing. Usually it takes me a few months (if not years). At any rate, I think that will be some time from now (at least 5-6 months). While a lot of fun, that has been a bit tiring, and I need to get some sleep so I can wake up feeling refreshed.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
wow i'm very impressed you pulled that off pq, great work!

thanks for running this tokes, it was a very fun game

gg all

Token Female
Apr 2, 2007

If I hear the music...
Awards and fun stuff

MVP:

TOWN MVP:

SCUM MVP(s):

Favorite post:

Favorite moment:

Favorite comment/conversation on discord:

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

We actually did it. Great job team!!!

Good game everyone, sorry I had to lie to you!

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

PQ ya did great, good job bringing it home

How come ya’ll let me live so long after jose’s flip?

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Oh also thank you Token Female for running the game I had a ton of fun!!!!

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Maugrim posted:

I don't want to overthink today because the last game I was in this situation I agonised for days and then still guessed wrong.

Spoonsy is the scummiest, if that's wrong I'll vote PQ tomorrow, if that's still wrong then well played AFQM.

:negative:

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance
:qq: ooo noo Town.

Good game all! Thanks so much for running it Tokes!

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Thanks for the great game. GG!

Town: You guys performed better than I'd ever seen. Only 4/14 days of not nailing scum, two of which were right at the end. Outstanding.

TF: Thank you for bringing us all together again, and setting up this mega-(fun) game! You brought together a bunch of people who hadn't played for years/a decade.

Yuming: You were crushing it near the end.

Jose: Your investigation choices, careful breadcrumb, and overall keeping it cool was a huge boon for the town.

Merk: Very effective night action use: Blocked two investigations, and 2 NKs.

Salad: My town read on you was legit : You absolutely crushed it as scum, although you didn't fool Yuming!

We were mostly trying going after Lothar after the first few days.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Apr 9, 2024

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Yea, thanks Tokes!!

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

You only delay the inevitable. All of this island will soon belong to me.

as a general life update stuff that i didnt do before the game since i havent played mafia in like 6+ years:

last y’all prob. saw of me i was moving to new yawk city, well, i lived and loved my time in the city, met a nice girl and married her, and now buying a house and moving to the jersey suburbs and having a kid or two are on the horizon. i have been well! it has been v. nice to see old faces, i will periodically show up for games as time allows and i will play music league when i remember

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Good game all, but what a bummer of an ending after the start we had.

lih
May 15, 2013

i don't know that it was necessarily unbalanced except for the wild disparity in power between the two scum teams. if the town vig had managed to hit scum then it would have gone much better for town, although i guess it could have gone worse as well if the serial killer didn't get voted off early

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Mr. Humalong posted:

Good game all, but what a bummer of an ending after the start we had.
:yeah:

lih posted:

i don't know that it was necessarily unbalanced except for the wild disparity in power between the two scum teams.
Every faction did well given the hand they were dealt, but if a town votes out 11 mafia and only 5 town and loses then scum might have been too powerful :v:

Either way it was a fun game though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lih
May 15, 2013

the biggest issue was probably us having diqnol's day vig, which was a big part of the imbalance between the two teams. the repeated town vig is just inherently going to be a bit swingy isn't it though, if they're a good shot then it's going to significantly improve things for town, but if they consistently hit town like in this game then that's going to make it much closer (which it did)