Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Nix Panicus posted:

Some media sources are tainted by evil, and unfortunately even when they publish true things those things become untrue by association. Conversely, some sources are good, and since they can't publish lies anything they might write that reality disagrees with *becomes* true

Thats how it works. Good sources, bad sources, and everything I don't like is propaganda

Lol its a spell system. Cast the nyt sigil on some text to bend reality to your will

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
censored lads and are Britain accounts arent good faith in their advocacy of Palestine

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Media literacy is when you trust sources like the new y0rk times, Cññ, and blue ✅️

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Mr Hootington posted:

Media literacy is when you trust sources like the new y0rk times, Cññ, and blue ✅️

simple as

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Mr Hootington posted:

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
plucking the pedals off a flower and while chanting "disinfo" "fact checked" "fake news" "verified"

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Homeless Friend posted:

plucking the pedals off a flower and while chanting "disinfo" "fact checked" "fake news" "verified"

Ongo Gablogian working his way through an airport terminal newsstand

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
every journalist with a flag in their display name has a real and genuine tie to that country and is also an expert

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Homeless Friend posted:

verrit check verrit check, true facts state
democracys alive just like Kate

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
literacy is for dorks and losers i will never ever read a book ever

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

You know its true because an anonymous US State Department or CIA cutout agency official said it and a prestigious media outlet put their reputation on the line to uncritically copy/paste their statement. Only democracy can be so free and trustworthy.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

its about watching the right video essays

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Mia Wasikowska posted:

its about watching the right video essays

which breadtuber do i need to watch

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

media cliteracy

it's a sensitive subject

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Fister Roboto posted:

media cliteracy

it's a sensitive subject
sounds like fictional porkish compromat to me. someone should unskew the poles

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

media cliteracy

it's a sensitive subject

I don't understand it

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Lib and let die posted:

Lmao

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen

Lib and let die posted:

Homeless Friend posted:

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

lies, drat lies, and statistics

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
Media literacy is when you use ground news, the hit media aggregator advertised by only the best youtubers/podcasts

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

None of you have considered what the OP was trying to do by posting this thread

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Salean posted:

None of you have considered what the OP was trying to do by posting this thread

I don't know. None of us know!

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
understand that every outlet is pushing propaganda for capitalism, imperialism, and colonialism. then read it with that in mind

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Propaganda is when designated enemy states say things using their state owned press

Freedom of the press is when friendly states say things using oligarch owned press

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
trust check marks. that means someone has checked.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
https://twitter.com/literaturedevil/status/1765729927976890814

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

:hmmyes:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

giant man-eating insects ftw

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

people not understanding starship troopers ftw

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

i see media, i read it

dont need to get more complicated than that

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
i know we've had like a month of it already but the starship troopers stuff is funny on many levels, it's surface level text in the film that we're invading bug space and they're fighting (and winning!) a defensive war against us. very fascist to say how dare our victims fight back.

the mormon slaughter is 1:1 from the american frontier, letting desperate settlers and religious freaks overstep official borders and then using their deaths as grist for conquest.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Oh no, it's not about starship troopers, it's about the new game Helldiver 2.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

NeonPunk posted:

Oh no, it's not about starship troopers, it's about the new game Helldiver 2.

oh lol looking at the replies i guess it's just an established backstop now for whatever the current thing is

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

opening up a large treasure chest full of news today

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

op the only media literacy that you need to know is that the Holy Qur'an is infallible and true

quote:

Explain the infallibility of the prophets. Why is it that some verses of the Qur`an contradict their infallibility?

Brief Answer:

The answer to these questions can be summarized in the following points:

1. Infallibility is a state of the soul that makes an infallible person shun sins or any unpalatable acts and protects him from mistakes and forgetfulness without negating his free will.

2. The secret behind the infallibility of the prophets lies in their direct vision and intuition of reality, their perfect faith and certainty, and their deep love for Allah (awj); along with their profound awareness of Allahs (awj) majesty and the realization of His attributes. In addition, through infallibility, Allah (awj) strengthens the prophets against the deceptions of Satan and the desires of the carnal soul.

3. Numerous rational proofs confirm the necessity of the infallibility of the prophets. The clearest of these proofs is the fact that Allahs (awj) purpose in creating man can only be fulfilled through their infallibility.

4. If some verses of the Qur`an seem at first glance to contradict these rational proofs, we must examine those verses more carefully, reflect deeper on their apparent meaning, and uncover their true meaning.

5. Numerous verses affirm the existence and even the necessity of infallibility, although the term infallibility has not been used. We cite below some examples:

a. Some verses describe a number of the prophets as mukhlasin (those who have been purified). For example, see 38:45-48. In these verses, one who is mukhlas is one who has not been and cannot be misguided by Satan.

b. Numerous verses explain that the prophets have been guided by Allah (awj). For example, see 6:84-90. It is inconceivable that someone who has been guided by Allah (awj) could be misguided or make a mistake.

c. In many verses Allah (awj) has unconditionally commanded people to obey the prophets. See 3:31-32 and 4:80 and 24:52. It is clear that such an unconditional command from Allah (awj) requires that they be infallible.

d. The verses 72:26-28 indicate that Allah (awj) protects his prophets from all perspectives.

e. The Verse of Purification (ayah al-tathir) found in 33:33 clearly indicates the infallibility of Prophet Muhammad (ص).

1. Those verses that seem to contradict the prophets infallibility are either conditional propositions that do not indicate that they have sinned or they pertain to the believers, not the prophets.

2. With respect to the prophet Adam (ع), in whose infallibility many have doubted, the following can be said. First, the proscriptions in the verses related to this discussion are irshadi (advisory) in nature, not mawlawi (a command issued by a superior to an inferior with the hopes that the command will be obeyed).

Second, even if they were mawlawi imperatives, they do not indicate that a failure to fulfil the commands is tantamount to a sin, but rather that Adam chose a lesser of two permissible paths.

Third, the world in which Adam was living at the time was not a world entailing legal responsibility toward Allah (awj).

In such a world, disregarding a command cannot be considered a true sin. If we see occasionally that Allah (awj) addresses the prophets with a sharp tone, this is because they are, after all, men with the faculties of anger and lust and the needs of animals. Therefore, they also require constant admonishment and guidance in such a way that if they were left to themselves for an instant they would be destroyed.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I'm concerned that if I learn media literacy I might become normal literate and prone to communist propaganda.

Please help.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

To understand a concept you must first define the terms so that everyone is working off of the same meanings

In this case there are a number of definitions, but I think we can ignore some of them, because I dont think were talking about for example an intermediate layer in the wall of a blood vessel or lymphatic vessel (op please clarify if this is in fact what were talking about and I will edit my post)

So media is a plural noun which means the material or form used by an artist, composer, or writer.

So, what it means to be literate in a given media requires different skills. For example, literacy in spoken media requires different things (i.e., ears) than visual media (i.e., eyes) than written media (i.e., book learning)

Id like to explore this topic but its currently too broad

Op please clarify and narrow the scope

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
I don't think that the giant bugs are the good guys, I think they're just pretend, and for fun. All fiction is just pretend, and can't get you.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
you can tell it's not a matter of civic religion because the act of questioning the words of the enshrined is in and of itself an attack on the concept of the state

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gauntanamo bae
Mar 11, 2024

speng31b posted:

you face two hitlers. One only tells the truth and one only lies. One hitler is calm and the other's heart is filled with fury. You must reveal the calm hitler with only a single post.... what do you do?

vote