Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
I searched beforehand and didn't find anything :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

crepeface posted:

wait did i get got by a SYQ

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
a syqer is born every day

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Where again, you're just nitpicking. Instead of putting any effort at all into reading context into what you're responding to, where you often seem to read posts in an overly literal fashion; where you're placing an undue burden of effort into forcing people to explain what the reasonable position is; which would be fine if this was genuine and if you absolutely had no prior position or understanding of the issue, but you clearly do.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

crepeface posted:

crepe on your face

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

crepeface posted:

Most of this is from the Wikipedia articles if you search "Uyghurs genocide" and "Tibetan genocide" in google, I can't see how you can dispute that at a minimum a systematic campaign violating the human rights of Tibetans and Uyghurs has been ongoing for decades in China.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Ok watch me: I dispute that a systematic campaign violating the human rights of Tibetans and Uyghurs has been ongoing for decades in China.

Can you see it now?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
its funny how the uyghur genocide only made the news after trump started a trade war with china

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
Because it's hard to sell "Muslims are genocided in China" when the west starts cheering after the first 3 words

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

crepeface posted:

Seems like you need some media literacy

Somebody has issued a correction as of 16:12 on Mar 16, 2024

fizziester
Dec 21, 2023

genericnick posted:

Here's some media literacy for crepeface:

crepeface posted:

:d:Part 1: What is media literacy?:d:

Let's start from the beginning.

This is the Shannon and Weaver Communication Model.

(Note that this is a model of communication. This material will have a few models; the thing about models is they're simplified representations that explain one set of relationships by sacrificing detail elsewhere. I am also simplifying these models, as many of the real ones get very complex.)

Shannon and Weaver is a classic. It’s the foundation of entire fields of theory. But let’s put some flesh on these bones. Why do we care about this?

Example 1
DnD mod GreyJoyBastard loves classic film The Princess Bride, and has always thought it deserves more appreciation. He writes a long, meandering OP in CineD discussing his love of the film, and promoting his idea, an HD re-release shown in theaters.

GJB has a message he wants to convey, but he can't just beam it into people's heads- he has to encode it into a message into a form other people can translate. This post passes through the channel or medium of the forums.

Unfortunately, this medium has a source of noise, or distortion, that warps or limits the content of the message. All communications have sources of noise, but SA has an especially bad one: radium’s code. The post that is ultimately displayed is scrambled.

Several users see the new thread. Among them is Jeffrey of YOSPOS, who sees the post and reads it, decoding it in the context of some…detailed…children's cartoon fanfiction GJB had been posting earlier. He decides he's had enough. GreyJoyBastard is demodded and permabanned.

What have we learned?
First, what you mean isn’t the same as what you say, or what your audience hears. Your ideas or beliefs or intentions have to be converted into a message, which travels through a medium that further distorts its content, and then has to be interpreted by the recipient.

Second, to communicate your meaning, you have to think about how the message will be received. It’s not enough to care passionately about your beliefs. Hell, caring passionately can make it harder to communicate! You need to be able to anticipate how your message will be mediated to construct your message so that it conveys your desired idea and your audience will understand it. GreyJoyBastard didn’t have too much of a chance because of radium, but if he’d included a short message at the top of his post saying “I understand this is not like my usual posting, but I promise this thread is not related to my collection of My Little Pony alternate universe harem novellas”…it might have helped. He needed to think about how the forums could screw up his message, and how his target audience doesn’t share his well-known love of 1980s camp cinema and costumed horse romance.

If you don’t actively think about how your message will be mediated and received, and how it relates to your goals, you’re talking to yourself, not others. You're masturbating, not communicating. DPPH is closed. We try to discourage that practice these days.

Third and most importantly, all messages are mediated.
When we usually think of media, we think of getting information from an outside source, like a newspaper, that “mediates” the message. But every medium, every source, selects and influences how a message is shaped and ultimately received.

What’s more, messages are mediated many times over. When you see and post a tweet that contains a link to a news story, the reporter is a mediator for the message- but so is the source for the story, and the way they talked to the reporter, and the editor, and the newspaper’s social media account, and the person who retweets it, and the twitter format…and so are you, the person who posts that tweet on the forums.

When we think of media literacy, then it’s not just about understanding how the “news media” operates. We get information in all kinds of ways, and very little of it is only mediated by reporters. Media literacy is about understanding how the process of communication affects the messages we receive, and how we can better participate in communication, as message creators and receivers.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Junkozeyne posted:

Because it's hard to sell "Muslims are genocided in China" when the west starts cheering after the first 3 words

there is exactly one place on earth the West thinks a Muslim minority shouldn’t be persecuted and wouldn’t you know, it just happens to be in the west’s new rival

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer
Actually China IS committing a genocide, and the tricky bastards have put the extermination camps RIGHT NEXT TO Saddam Husseins WMD factories!!! We have a real "get 2 birds stoned at once" opportunity here!

"Ethnostate",tell me you think they all look the same without saying it

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

crepeface posted:

medium literacy

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

crepeface posted:

I searched beforehand and didn't find anything :mad:

McMagic'd!

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Al! posted:

medium literacy

The medium is…. The literacy

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Lol remember when they went on a probe rampage because we made fun of how dumb that thread was?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Forget media literacy, this thread is now about literacy media

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SxuNSAtmxk

After you watch we can discuss, especially lurkers who I have to assume would post if they could

speng31b
May 8, 2010

genericnick posted:

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

Lol remember when they went on a probe rampage because we made fun of how dumb that thread was?

Night of the Long Toes

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

brugroffil posted:

Most of this is from the Wikipedia articles if you search "Uyghurs genocide" and "Tibetan genocide" in google, I can't see how you can dispute that at a minimum a systematic campaign violating the human rights of Tibetans and Uyghurs has been ongoing for decades in China.
now that's what i call media literacy

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
We cannot abandon the only media literate country in the middle east

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
some people call it literacy, i call it mideracy

fizziester
Dec 21, 2023

What do you call a four-foot tall liberal who escapes from prison?

A small media literate at large.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

fizziester posted:

A small media literate at large.

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer
I may be media illiterate, and socially illiterate, and computer illiterate and regular illiterate, but I do know this; Chyna

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

the United States was and still is a democracy even during the periods of its history where it still had legal slavery and women lacked the vote

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

HallelujahLee posted:

the United States was and still is a democracy even during the periods of its history where it still had legal slavery and women lacked the vote

Definitionally they weren’t people so it was perfectly accurate

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Definitionally they weren’t people so it was perfectly accurate
high levels of media literacy

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

im here to promote media literacy and chew bubblegum... and im all out of bubblegum

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Orange Devil posted:

Ok watch me: I dispute that a systematic campaign violating the human rights of Tibetans and Uyghurs has been ongoing for decades in China.

Can you see it now?

I won't forgive you for this. You will pay for what you have said.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

the dalai lama sucks

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

The most literate, from the standpoint of media

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

mawarannahr posted:

the dalai lama sucks

Which incarnation? You have to be more specific

Nethalin
Mar 16, 2024

More of a Panchen Lama guy myself.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

HashtagGirlboss posted:

there is video evidence of the most recent one sucking at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Are dalais lama like drs who?