Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
i;m putting a video together and i want ot sound smart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Inline module socket

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
slot

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

depends on the ram i think

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
ram hole

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

see this ram goes in sockets

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

drat I didn’t think of that

Lime
Jul 20, 2004

ram slocket

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
this is what modern apple haters literally want their computers to be like inside

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
it's ram slut

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Lime posted:

ram slocket

is this LGA RAM

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

Lime posted:

ram slocket

mother fucker, what is that please

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
is it to test batches or something for insane speed freeks

it kinda looks like a data recovery thing but what are you recovering? 0's?

Lime
Jul 20, 2004

yeah it's a test jig for ddr4 chips

there's also this more recent thing dell started, compression attached memory modules, that literally is lga for ram sticks

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

its a slot because the connector is linear

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Bloody posted:

its a slot because the connector is linear

counterpoint

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
it is a socket, but typically in the format of a slot so you should use both at random in your video

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Jonny 290 posted:

counterpoint

pictured: one slot

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

really three slots, one circled

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
now i am even more unsure

the dell tradeoff thing is OK i guess. When you absolutely can not use a slot but you want upgradeability... or is it a socket?

If u put ram on a ribbon cable and adjusted for the latency could you do that and make it so it works not have crashing. Speed would be affected but would it be that bad? do you have to make a repeater to boost the differential signalling? is these words make sense?

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

Shaggar posted:

it is a socket, but typically in the format of a slot so you should use both at random in your video

yeah, just like the rest of the world i guess. i like it. the decision to just use both is a good one because it was a false choice in the first place. i think i may lean into it now actuallyl

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

down1nit posted:

If u put ram on a ribbon cable and adjusted for the latency could you do that and make it so it works not have crashing. Speed would be affected but would it be that bad? do you have to make a repeater to boost the differential signalling? is these words make sense?

Yes. Yes, it would. Yes, you would. They do

all those traces on modern PCBs are not just wires that go 0 to 1. they are transmission lines

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

Jonny 290 posted:

Yes. Yes, it would. Yes, you would. They do

all those traces on modern PCBs are not just wires that go 0 to 1. they are transmission lines

ok so no ribbon cable what about a flat plastic cable i see those on hard drives. u can make it all squiggly like traces so the data gets there at the right time. i;m imagining a twisty straw as a cable, do you understand?

for ram

operating at like 5 volts since wires and all

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I don't know. Sorry.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
thanks for all you do

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
don’t list to that guy, op. just splice that poo poo right on there. anywhere is fine. use nice thick wires so the bits flow more easily

if you need more power then probably splice in the power supply, too. i gotta be real i don’t really know what that does, i’m not some computer scientist

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Lime posted:

ram slocket

you can tell this is some kind of specialty Shenzhen thing because of the hosed up serifed font.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

rjmccall posted:

don’t list to that guy, op. just splice that poo poo right on there. anywhere is fine. use nice thick wires so the bits flow more easily

if you need more power then probably splice in the power supply, too. i gotta be real i don’t really know what that does, i’m not some computer scientist

yeah see i knew i'd find a GOOD answer here. my relationship counselor told me it's ok to not accept no for an answer and to fight back to get what i want.

I paid him and his brother in Tether on his custom app and am making so much in crypto!

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
voted slocket

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
stick it right in the russy

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

stick it right in the russy

you had the opportunity to say "ram it right in the russy" and you squandered it. disappointing

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

you had the opportunity to say "ram it right in the russy" and you squandered it. disappointing

ok ok settle down scoob

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Yeah what if they go back and edit it for a laugh

What then

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ram jam

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
you should make it clear that ram should click when fully seated. make a big deal about the click

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
gently caress yes. I even have a shot of the ram being super flat and I measure the height with calipers to ensure, beyond any doubt, that the ram is seated fully

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

down1nit posted:

replace ribbon cable with pcie link and you’ve got CXL

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compute_Express_Link

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
doesn't matter, i don't use computers with socketed ram

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

so many different ways to connect ram. we are truly living in the age of plenty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU