Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I'm watching another one of these collections of opeings for new shows, fall '93 edition and am feeling like I fell out of a tree

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNUxJtpckPE

First show - some female crime drama, starring a very pretty face who's name rang a bell - Robin Givens. You can search the name; suffice it to say she went from being a protegee of Bill Cosby to married to Mike Tyson

The second show is called "The Hat Squad"

The third show is...just stop me when you think I'm bullshitting you.

quote:

The series centered around the six survivors of a world nuclear holocaust. They live together in an abandoned farm house while trying to survive and re-establish civilization. In July 2002, TV Guide named [REDACTED] the 42nd-worst TV show of all time, and referred to as a "post-apocalyptic Gilligan's Island".

quote:

Frederick Ross (Cleavant Derricks) was formerly a research biologist. His excellent knowledge of science is vital to the survival of the community. Although he considered it ironic that he was possibly the only Black man to have survived the nuclear war, and occasionally mused over the possible loss of a Black female companion, he genuinely enjoyed his White friends and living on the farm.

Suzanne Skillman (Marita Geraghty), a hair salon employee, ia a dumb blonde stereotype, although her hair color was clearly brunette.

quote:

some kids were fooling around with their remote-control toy car, which caused a nuclear warhead to launch and all the world's powers to open fire. At that time, Mark had just gotten off work and was making a deposit at the bank when, in a flash of light, the nuclear holocaust happened. Now driving through a barren wasteland, Mark stumbles upon a fertile valley containing a farm that houses five other survivors. However, the six constantly bicker and do not get along as a community, until a gigantic, mutated spider threatens the farm. The survivors have to work as a team to be able to fend off the spider.

quote:

A crystal causes Alice's bustline to grow much larger. She seems to be enjoying her new status as the object of men's attention, as opposed to Suzanne, but Mark reminds her that by giving in to being considered a sex object, she may be ruining what she has worked for her whole life – for women to gain respect.

quote:

Curtis becomes devastated after the loss of his necktie. When it is found again and he puts it on, he somehow believes he is in the year 1986, before the nuclear holocaust happened. Mark and Alice have to somehow restore Curtis' memory.

quote:

The group finds out Suzanne is in love, and the men clamor amongst themselves to see who is the one for whom she has fallen. When they find out she is in love with Jack, he is glad, but she cannot stand the fact he loves to go exploring and push his shopping cart around to collect things he finds on his expeditions, when he ought to be paying attention to his girlfriend. The song "My Guy" is the theme played all throughout this episode. Meanwhile, mutated squash has grown, which comes in all colors and makes a sound akin to "mach" when squeezed.

quote:

Christmas is approaching, but it is not the same, as the nuclear holocaust has ruined much of the world's evergreen tree population. While cleaning out the chimney, the group finds Santa Claus (Stuart Pankin) has visited the group, but appears depressed. Santa later reveals to the group that he is suffering survivor's guilt, as his workshop at the North Pole had a fallout shelter, but the door slammed shut and Mrs. Claus and all the elves were unable to get inside.

quote:

When Alice makes the group hold a party to celebrate their first six months together, they all spend it daydreaming about ways to kill her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I can't play, as I vividly remember the show.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Isn't that just Last Man On Earth but lovely?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Madurai posted:

I can't play, as I vividly remember the show.

Same. Though I think I only watched one episode that I caughr before the excellent and canceled too soon Get a Life was on.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I saw that thing and thought I was going mad.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I still have a bootleg DVD from a swap meet of Woops! episodes. It's remarkable how unwatchable some of those episodes are compared to their premises.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

Same. Though I think I only watched one episode that I caughr before the excellent and canceled too soon Get a Life was on.

Get a Life was incredible. So far ahead of its time. That show introduced my little brother and I to alternative comedy (we still quote it and make references to it to this day) as well as R.E.M. We also liked Parker Lewis Can't Lose at the same time, but I don't know if that show was really anything special, or if it has aged well.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Random Stranger posted:

Speaking of Get a Life: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCJkxwKV4CM

e: The Ben Stiller show had a cast of legends plus:

Also look at this grunge rear end 16mm opening riffing on Kids in the Hall

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Apr 15, 2024

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Double Post, but whatever...

Let's talk about one of my all-time favorite weird series.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/85/The_Champions_titlecard.jpg

This is a Lew Grade ITC production from 1968, the height of British Spy-Fi (I'll probably do a post on Adam Adamant sometime as well).

Synopsis:
Three agents from the United Nations agency 'Nemesis' are sent on a spy mission into China where they are searching for evidence of biowar research. They are escaping by plane when they are shot down by PLA forces, and then rescued by the residents of 'Shangri-La' who are psychically evolved humans who also evolve the three to do good works in the outside world.

They eventually get back to Europe and continue fighting 'evil' around the world (or wherever in England was subbing for around the world for a particular shoot. Their boss, Tremayne, has no clue about their pseudo-telepathy, augmented senses, or enhanced strength, endurance and speed and is just happy that these three get the job done.

Cast:
Stuart Damon as the American Pilot, Craig Stirling

William Gaunt as the former SOE Agent Richard Barrett

Alexandra Bastedo as Sharon Macready MD

Anthony Nicholls as Tremayne

So, who did they fight?

Nazis...lots and lots of Nazis. The Chinese were also a large part of their rogues gallery as well, but they went after organized crime on occasion, mad science, rogue nuclear states, counter assassination, subverting dictatorships...the usual stuff.

Why does Humbug like this show?

It was so much drat fun. The actors are having a blast, the new-agey superpowers were cool, and punching Nazis is always good.

Only 30 episodes were made, but most of them are here -- https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLw6gg897HVfu237LwSzqBcWYWqOFRor9c

The first episode is here -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwF-NdMbLpw
I unironically love (some of) the old 1960s ITC shows like The Champions and Department S, where a stock footage clip and a palm tree in a bucket of sand desperately try to convince you that the episode was filmed in the Bahamas or Nice or wherever rather than a cemetary in a London suburb.

I always found it funny that William Gaunt can't keep still and is fidgeting away when he's posing for the opening credits, and that his closeup makes it look like he's mouthbreathing while his costars share a contemptuous look of "who the hell is this clown?"

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that

Small Strange Bird posted:

I always found it funny that William Gaunt can't keep still and is fidgeting away when he's posing for the opening credits, and that his closeup makes it look like he's mouthbreathing while his costars share a contemptuous look of "who the hell is this clown?"

Weird character selection screen

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

So of the several things I've encountered recently, this is one:

The Mighty Orbots was a brief series, only 14 episodes. It was an attempt by some western people to get in on the giant-fighting-robot Gestalt trend, with a Japanese company, TMS, doing the animation and music, while the character design was done in the west, as was the concept and writing. The show only lasted 14 episodes for a fairly absurd reason: Tonka was about to bring out its transforming robot toyline, and felt the title was too close to 'Gobots.'

I'm going to tell you the series on a writing/character level is quite bland - for the most part. But here's the interesting bit: TMS is a storied animation studio, having worked on an amazing list of Japanese and Western TV shows, and a few features:

quote:

Hayao Miyazaki was associated with Tokyo Movie before founding Studio Ghibli.[5] His most notable work at TMS was his role as the director of The Castle of Cagliostro, which is notable for being his first feature-length debut.[6]

Clearly TMS had lots of money for this, and the animation is frequently as vibrant and spectacular as the plot is dull. Well, I say dull: the first episode has evil rockers strumming a psychedelic kaiju into existence for the Orbots to unite and kick the rear end of. The villain is an evil sentient supercomputer in a space fortress inside a dyson sphere named Umbra, and once again, kinda the norm, but his visual design makes him look like Giygas from Earthbound:

The other thing I can't get enough of (and consider this in its context to tell you what a standout it is) is the music. It's done by Yuji Ohno, the musician who did the soundtrack to Lupin the Third, and is filled with 70s funk and jazz flutes.

Here's a sample

I should also say the narrator is Gary Owens, who's spent a L - ong career often being a narrator. Our cast is basically one human, Matt, constructor of the Orbots, and two space elves: Rondu, Matt's boss in charge of the galactic patrol, and Dia, his agent daughter. Matt and Dia have, for no reason, a clark kent/superman thing going on, where Dia is down for Matt's alternative form but not him. Western cartoons were into the secret identity even if it didn't make sense, and this is a time nerd could at any point scream "HE IS ME" and change into the other one and just, like, blow her mind.

Our orbots are:

Somebody tweet this at Jordon Petersen, he'll have a nervous breakdown

Ono - a bossy childlike bot who is needed to form the big boy for few discernible reasons. She's absolutely necessary to the team, though, as only when being lead by either her or Matt are the Orbots effective. Any other time, getting the bots to split up and attempt to do something is like dispatching your pets to pick up your dry cleaning.

Torr - the big strong bot, he keeps the pressure on

Bort - Bort [not joking] is a robot who can transform himself into anything. Often starts and ends episodes as a couch for the femmbots [also not joking].

Crunch - a fatbot who eats metal all the time. Crunch is pretty simple, but at least his eating has purpose: he uses that to stuff to generate energy, eh, somehow.

Boo and Bow - the Femmbots I have difficulty telling apart, mainly because while the dudebots have well defined powers, the femmbots have basically ALL THE POWERS. One can manipulate and control all energy, while the other can control energy in specific ways, IE magic. The first time we see the gestalt teleport, it's three seconds after Matt says to Boo "can you teleport us?"

The gals, who dream of meeting rock star robots and maybe loving them - which is implied of course, but also a little more blunt than you might expect

The title cards are also a joy

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Apr 23, 2024

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I loooved Orbots when I was 7, great stuff

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Speaking of the Clark Kent thing, Jem & The Holograms was bad for that too, where I don't think the cartoon ever had a reason why she couldn't just be open about Jem being a stage persona. (The 2010s comic book version at least explained her having massive stage fright, and hiding behind the persona helped her cope with it)

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Gaz-L posted:

Speaking of the Clark Kent thing, Jem & The Holograms was bad for that too, where I don't think the cartoon ever had a reason why she couldn't just be open about Jem being a stage persona. (The 2010s comic book version at least explained her having massive stage fright, and hiding behind the persona helped her cope with it)

Speaking of, I'm watching the first episode and not only does Matt have a secret identity, so do the robots. The Orbots (who when they transform gain, I dunno, 100 times the size and mass of their human forms) are marked as working with the Galactic Peacekeepers or whoever, but are not recognized by Dia as "those robots that make up Mighty Orbots" [The mighty orbot?]

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

More selections from Mighty Orbots:

The most 80s device

Space Potato

Ono works abstract art buttons

Zardoz

One episode opens with the good and bad guys watching tv about Mighty Orbots. Umbra does that with his lacky, Mentallas.

Part Gigyas, part lava lamp

Pink Sauron

In this episode the Mighty Orbots are framed (possibly for the death of thousands / crimes committed against a race of evil ewoks.) In a secret trial that their boss is the judge of, the Human Friend straight up betrays Mighty Orbots for plot reasons and they are condemned to Robot prison for a thousand years, except it is much closer to robot hell.

It all starts with smiles and sunshine

But mighty Orbots did nothing wrong

Bort the transformer is forced to be a piston:

Crunch is force fed gravel to generate electrical power

One of the femmbots is forced to do an reef of dirty dishes, and her reward is an island of dirty dishes

The Orbots have to kill their replacement, it's hosed up

Power of T-POOOOSSSSEEEEE

Ono is still the boss:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Boring TV titles:

Truly ready to go up against the New Adventures of Baxter Beans New Adventures of Beans Baxter

So I think this show was a competitor for SNL? I'm guessing that because the cast is comedy and there's a musical guest. Also I didn't know that SNL in its first, forgotten season was hosted by Howard Cosell.

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Apr 27, 2024

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
The only real competitor for SNL was an ABC series called Fridays, which had Michael Richards, Mark Blankfield, Melanie Chartoff, Larry David, and Rich Hall in its repertory cast. It ran from 80-82 and had some killer bands as its musical guests, like AC/DC, Devo, The Clash, Dire Straits, Warren Zevon, and the Stray Cats among others.

First Episode with Boz Scaggs as the musical guest...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtjJBxo-68I

Playlist with a lot more episodes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtjJBxo-68I&list=PLPC9Lmc1Dqoagckm3yAn3g71UWb4nHQuj

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Ah, the Blue Thunder TV series, how I haven't missed you.

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Dang those Orbots gifs are pretty sweet

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Madurai posted:

Ah, the Blue Thunder TV series, how I haven't missed you.

Posted this in the cold war thread, I don't think people will mind if I repost it here:

quote:

So if I can talk Cold War Dadfiction, the early 80s movie/tv show, I watched Blue Thunder (1983)

I knew the best way to go into it was with no knowledge, so that's what I did. All I knew was there was some sort of futuristic police helicopter, having seen vintage model kits of it on sale. It stars Roy Scheider as a LAPD helicopter pilot, Warren Oates who I didn't recognize behind the glasses as his supervisor, a really young Daniel Stern as Scheider's.....systems operator? And Malcom McDowell as a evil former helicopter pilot. The tone starts quite serious, but has to get really, really silly, because Blue Thunder is a next generation police chopper with some magic powers.

Left: What I believe is a microfiche reader, center, computer graphics, right, Warren Oates

The helicopter itself is a modified Gazelle, with a big, almost dragon-fly like bulbous cockpit, and on the front a gatling gun that I guess is detuned for urban fire support. In an early scene we see it introduced in a live fire demo in the desert, and it is here we get to see probably the best reason to watch the movie: there is some absolutely sick helicopter flying in it. The 80s being the 80s, they had to do everything, and if you know a helicopter pilot, you need to sit them down and get their reactions, because it is awesome and nuts. You know the LA Canal system? Well, in the climactic set piece of the movie, they are doing a chase with helicopters there (because of course they loving are) and flying in under the pedestrian bridges.

Blue Thunder is given to Roy Scheider by an evil conspiracy of dudes who hope to...? Well, we don't quite get that far, as Blue Thunder [the helicopter] is basically a helicopter designed to fight evil conspiracies. It has two boom mics that can listen to people with perfect fidelity not only on the street but inside buildings, recording everything on a giant cassette system so unnessarily complex you know it is going to become a plot point. It also has a turbo button that makes it go faster, and my favorite button, a button that makes the helicopter whisper quiet. How quiet? This is McDowell, in a skyscraper with the other bads, discovering the good guys are onto him:

It strikes me as a little pointless, since early on the good guys are watching a hot lady do naked yoga, and they are flying, I dunno, 50 meters from her window?

So if you're in an aircraft and your eyeline is at a resential condo, you are, in fact, pretty low

The taping system

the Future - 1970s rear end electronics

Speaking of, the computer generated graphics are most def of their time

Anyway, the end of the movie is a solid payoff, because it is some GI Joe rear end helicopter fighting in the skies over LA, and if you know me you know I mean that as a genuine complement. Also, McDowell had an enormous fear of flying, so I'm not really sure how they got him into a Bell OH-6 for some mild maneuvers. His unease is palpable.

PS fashions are very restrained, except for the awful windbreaker on the right, which had my brain asking "is that made out of garbage bags?" every time I saw it.

Because Airwolf was a thing at the same time, Blue Thunder got its own TV series briefly. Same helicopter, lower budget. I forget the lead, though Dana Carvey steps into the Daniel Stern role - though I should say Bubba Smith and Dick Butkis are honestly pretty great as SWAT ground support guys. (I know nothing about football, but people tell me they are ex-NFL players.) The plot though is crazy: there is a guy in a Mohawk [Grumman OV-1] who is literally gunning LAPD helicopters out of the sky. He then strafes the police funeral for the pilots killed, all the while phoning up the LAPD so he and Blue Thunder can have a gunnery dual over the skies of LA. The SWAT guys get their hands on heat-seeking surface to air missiles, which the lead forbids use of, Dana Carvey at one point "hacks into" a radar-guided missile as it is flying at them, and it's confirmed, the turbo button makes a woosh sound and makes the helicopter go faster.

PS>

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Apr 27, 2024

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Blue Thunder, the movie: "heavily armed stealth police gunships with the power to violate the Fourth Amendment are the path to fascism and a Very Bad Thing that must be destroyed."

Blue Thunder, the TV show: "heavily armed stealth police gunships with the power to violate the Fourth Amendment are AWESOME!" :haw:

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Blue Thunder, the movie: "heavily armed stealth police gunships with the power to violate the Fourth Amendment are the path to fascism and a Very Bad Thing that must be destroyed."

Blue Thunder, the TV show: "heavily armed stealth police gunships with the power to violate the Fourth Amendment are AWESOME!" :haw:

This is so often the case with TV show adaptations of movies. Off the top of my head there's Robocop, Evolution, The Mask, Toxic Crusaders, uh, the Rambo cartoon I guess?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
This thread has made my whole weekend! Thank you so much.

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

I'm going to share a personal favourite from my childhood. We would get some weird European cartoons in my neck of the woods (Canada) and one of the weirder-yet-wholesome ones was Dr. Snuggles.

It featured many living objects such as the shed Rickety Rick, a robot made of junk, talking watches, talking animals, flying into the clouds to meet up with a camel, a cosmic cat, and an incredibly chill atmosphere. One of those cartoons which made you ask if they were on drugs, but if they were the trips were incredibly wholesome.

See a season here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gdjXXjHX18

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

Nebakenezzer posted:

So of the several things I've encountered recently, this is one:

The Mighty Orbots was a brief series, only 14 episodes. It was an attempt by some western people to get in on the giant-fighting-robot Gestalt trend, with a Japanese company, TMS, doing the animation and music, while the character design was done in the west, as was the concept and writing. The show only lasted 14 episodes for a fairly absurd reason: Tonka was about to bring out its transforming robot toyline, and felt the title was too close to 'Gobots.'

Man, I loved the animation for the show but I have next to no recollection of the episodes.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Hell yes Automan, this and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmvcXdXua08
and I'm 8 again

And while Airwolf was the best helicopter, this was always my favourite
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1rPEFUs9Jg

Chubby Henparty fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Apr 28, 2024

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Smik posted:

I'm going to share a personal favourite from my childhood. We would get some weird European cartoons in my neck of the woods (Canada) and one of the weirder-yet-wholesome ones was Dr. Snuggles.

It featured many living objects such as the shed Rickety Rick, a robot made of junk, talking watches, talking animals, flying into the clouds to meet up with a camel, a cosmic cat, and an incredibly chill atmosphere. One of those cartoons which made you ask if they were on drugs, but if they were the trips were incredibly wholesome.

See a season here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gdjXXjHX18

His English name is Dr. Snuggles? In Finnish he was Dr. Sykerö, which isn't exactly a pun but it's a funny name that sort of means "squiggle".

If we're doing wholesome, have Alfred J. Kwak, another extremely European cartoon. (I have no idea what "AI enhanced English" means, I watched this show in Finnish way back, apologies) Alfred is a duck, his dad is a mole, and one of his school mates is a crow. The crow character grows up to be bird hitler, and this is played completely straight with Alfred having to fight the bird nazis. The show also visits apartheid South Africa, Alfred gets a black bird girl friend, and I think Alfred also goes to the Moon. It's just a show whose premise is "what has been in the news in Europe at some point", I suppose it's vaguely educational, and as a kid you're kind of oblivious to how insane it is that all of this is going on.

Here is our hero, Alfred.

Pictured: Bird Hitler, also I guess Napoleon?

Alfred's lady friend, very pretty.

On a much more intentionally educational note, the Once Upon a Time... series of shows was another European childhood treasure, because you learned all this awesome stuff about history (Once Upon a Time... Man) and biology (Once Upon a Time...Life). The shows have the same main characters, sort of, don't ask why the same two dudes appear all through human history and so forth.

Here are some white blood cells, the... Police of the body? Well, young kids don't know ACAB yet so why not.

European broadcasting companies produced a lot of animation that at least to a young kid Rappaport was amazing and fun.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Chubby Henparty posted:

And while Airwolf was the best helicopter, this was always my favourite
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1rPEFUs9Jg

I tried to describe The Highwayman to a young person, who probably still thinks I'm lying and/or crazy.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Madurai posted:

I tried to describe The Highwayman to a young person, who probably still thinks I'm lying and/or crazy.

I was with you until I got to Tim Russ as "D.C. Montana"

Now I think you are crazy

OK I'm reading the wiki article and I'd like to upgrade that to WHAT

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Highwayman_(TV_series)

I could block quote the whole thing, but it sounds like the movie pilot was a cross between Stephen King's Gunslinger series and Knight Rider, so naturally the Roland Character has a futuristic transport truck

e2: Madurai the more I read about this thing the more I think this is some sort of elaborate prank on your part:

Here are some of the cast members in the pilot:

Jimmy Smits (Bo Ziker)
Wings Hauser (Sheriff Wyatt)
Roddy Piper (Preacher)
G. Gordon Liddy (Ed Merrick)

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 28, 2024

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

DC Montana does sound like a Roger persona

Should I ever need to recite A Great Work in public, it will either be my best impression of Richard Burtons' intro to Under Milk Wood, or the Fat Man himself's intro to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frVtGAKAnxA

Chubby Henparty fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Apr 28, 2024

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Like clearly this never existed, look at this:

quote:

"Send in the Clones"
Highway befriends a strange but friendly man called Mac, who is promptly snatched away by the Army. Investigating just what is going on, Highway and Jetto discover that Mac is a clone, programmed with a deadly assignment...

This episode doubled as a pilot for a proposed spin-off series, "McClone", which was never produced.

quote:

The series is at first vague on the exact year that it takes place. Other than Highway and Jetto's trucks, Highway's occasionally seen sports car (a silver Lotus Esprit) and Ms. Badler's car (a red Mark II Toyota MR2), the other vehicles are generally that of the era in which the series was filmed. Many of these vehicles, such as the Ford Motor Co.'s Aerostar minivan, were marketed at the time as having sleek, futuristic designs.

Seriously though, that early 1980s series about the American family, the pyramids, alternate dimensional dystopias (etc) used 80s Toyota Vans for the same reason, which I find amusing.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

When they travel back to 1942 they're immediately detained as Japanese spies due to the Toyota branding on their tyres

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Seeing that old Automan intro reminded me of the Martin Kove one-season series Hard Time on Planet Earth.

Written and created by Jim and John Thomas who wrote 'Predator', it was a bout an extremely violent alien war hero, that is stripped of lot of his abilities and sent to a backwater low-tech planet called Earth with a robotic warden called 'Control Unit' until he could moderate his rage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ls0Idqi5WxA

First episode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa4h-nMHxaY

bobthenameless
Jun 20, 2005

came courtesy of the big red link, and skimmed through it with intentions to keep up with it as this is a thing I also enjoy, sometimes for nostalgia but also its wild to look back at what used to be possible to throw against the TV wall.

i think i came to it from this or a similar Darkstalkers best-of-stupidity clips https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKdhcdDR9PQ a few years back, and ended up poking around the full show (also easily available on YT).

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

I'm disappointed this is not a US spinoff of the UK's Whoops Apocalypse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnpKqFWsbSk

Also in the future dystopia field, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_(TV_series) from 2000 about a US under military dictatorship.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioSvy_7p_D8

I remember this being presented as being like Hong Kong action with Corey Yuen and having some decent action in it.
The weirdest thing was the Dutch TV network showing an alternate pilot after the last episode which was mostly the same but had a different lead, Vincent Spano instead of Holt McNally. No explanation was given for this and it was as if an alternate universe was entered.

quote:

Although never aired in the United States, the pilot was broadcast internationally. It was shown in The Netherlands on September 23rd, 2001 on Channel V8.
https://www.tvobscurities.com/articles/freedom/

I had the episode recorded on VHS which made it some kind of ultra rare artifact.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

bobthenameless posted:

came courtesy of the big red link, and skimmed through it with intentions to keep up with it as this is a thing I also enjoy, sometimes for nostalgia but also its wild to look back at what used to be possible to throw against the TV wall.

i think i came to it from this or a similar Darkstalkers best-of-stupidity clips https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKdhcdDR9PQ a few years back, and ended up poking around the full show (also easily available on YT).

Just watching that supercut Darkstalkers seems like they pulled off a few jokes, at least. "She's a succubus" "I'll say she does"

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Smik posted:

Man, I loved the animation for the show but I have next to no recollection of the episodes.

That does not surprise me. As I said, the writing isn't in the same post code.

Actually, here's one of the few times the script gave me a good laugh:

The might Orbots have found a mysterious crystal egg on a far off planet, and they take it back to earth. We learn immediately that this was planted by this lizard-y shadow agent:

Who calls Umbra from his spaceship to confirm the Orbots took the bait. Umbra is all "and the earth will be destroyed etc etc". (The egg hatches a kaiju who after it munches on the dilithium stores on Mars becomes a giant three headed dragon kinda like Timat.)

The lizard agent rings off, then attempts to start his ship, only to find he's broken down.

So he calls Umbra back, and asks for a ride.

Umbra says the Lizard Agent's reward will be to spend the rest of his life on that planet, and let me quote him here, "hahahaha, loser!"

this is the happiest Umbra is in the entire series run

Assorted Orbots GIFs:

As a joke Matt builds Ono a early 1980s style robot:

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Apr 30, 2024

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

this thread ROCKS. gonna make an effortpost tomorrow with some old horrifying children's telly from DOWN UNDA

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
YouTube used to have loads of old BBC thriller miniseries like Bird of Prey 1 & 2, The Nightmare Man, The Assassination Run, The Treachery Game, Dead Head and the like, and it's really disappointing that they've all been taken down. :smith:

Some ITV shows from the same era like Armchair Thriller and Tales of the Unexpected are still up, though, and worth a watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

alf_pogs posted:

this thread ROCKS. gonna make an effortpost tomorrow with some old horrifying children's telly from DOWN UNDA

:fist bump:

It seems like the best copy of the Botsmaster out there was recorded off of Australian TV, it frequently has a time and weather infographic in the corner

Some ITV shows from the same era like Armchair Thriller and Tales of the Unexpected are still up, though, and worth a watch.

I've heard of tales of the unexpected thanks to the old ricky gervais podcast; I feel like the title is promising more than it can deliver

Speaking of "low-budget horror/suspense anthologies", looking at another old tv promo reel, got some random notes here:

quote:

There's also a cowboy thing called Wildstyle
I probably misheard, they are robbing a chamber of commerce, not "a violent kickass chamber of commerce"
Notable for 2 reasons: one, a young Meg Ryan is "the woman" of the team, and one of the cowboys is named
deep breath
PROMETHEUS JONES

Which lead me to this: Scene of the Crime, hosted by Orsen Welles?!?

The link has one of the horror stories. It's not badly done, but the thing that stuck out to me was that it reuses the same house as two different locations.

The Orsen Welles intro, though, is positively amazing

Also: Return to the Dark Tower with Orsen Welles

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Apr 30, 2024