Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
Joe vs Wardlow 5 7.58%
Elite vs Eddie/Penta/Pac 27 40.91%
Jay vs Darby 18 27.27%
Jericho and Hook vs Gates of Agony 1 1.52%
Riho vs Willow 15 22.73%
Total: 66 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Yeah, promos about how you're so happy to be in a company are always kind of lame and hard to perform. CM Punk pulled it off, but he's CM Punk. We can't hold everyone to that standard.

(And like everyone else said, the promo itself was iffy but the star power more than made up for it.)

And it only worked once for Punk - his WWE "I'm home" promo was pretty mid.

I thought Mercedes handled herself quite well. One thing I appreciate about AEW promos, good or bad, is that they're allowed to express real emotions instead of the church play-level acting WWE expects from people. Mercedes was clearly tearing up at points, but she knew how to use that in a promo and it really helped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Artelier posted:

So I may have accidentally tuned this out in the speech (was working while watching) or am just missing some lore, but why is Mercedes Mone called CEO?

She was The Boss in WWE and obviously she can't use that nickname now so she's updated it to the CEO.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

The Ospreay episode of Talk Is Jericho is absolutely fantastic. He talks about so much, including Hana Kimura, Japan during lockdown, and he puts over several STARDOM girls. Lots of really interesting details about himself and his career. Well worth the listen.

Speaking as someone who'd always thought Ospreay was an rear end in a top hat, it's nice to see that he's actually done some maturing. I mean, he's still an idiot but it does seem like he's grown up a lot in the past couple of years.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Ganso Bomb posted:

There is… SO much happening here. “What’s it like being a boy mom in Slamtown” is one of the more ridiculous questions ever asked in a wrestling interview. Taya is also really great here, it’s a shame she never got to do this level of character work in her initial AEW run.

Taya has been awesome in ROH, and having better matches as well. Her AEW stuff was handicapped the same way Deonna Purazzo's has been, in that she was brought in specifically to challenge a dominant champion but no one bought her as a serious threat.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Shard posted:

I wonder what Brie says when he comes home looking like that

She's probably relieved that at least nothing's broken this time.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

MassRafTer posted:

It's weird people don't know this because it was referenced a lot in the later years of ECW that he was a hot dude in suspenders when he started.

Keeping in mind, for those who have trouble wrapping their heads around this, that he was a "hot dude" by early 1990s Philly standards.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Guillermus posted:

Jokes aside and sincere question: Any history between them? Or just coincidence

Probably coincidence. I don't think they've ever worked in the same company until now.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Shard posted:

I have never been a Jarrett fan and when I really wanted to like TNA he was what made me hate it at first. But that being said, he's been booked perfectly in AEW and he's been pulling his weight 100 percent.

I really hated it when Jarrett first showed up in AEW but it turns out that his whole schtick is great when he's a midcard goof who jobs to all the babyfaces.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Captain Foo posted:

the horror of "they aren't really going to put a belt on him, are they" and then the catharsis of "nope" was absolutely incredible work all around

and then he got to win a worthless goofy belt in an incredibly bizarre match, just perfect

I admittedly wasn't happy when he went over Eddie leading up to his ROH title match with Jay Lethal, but even then we got an awesome Eddie promo out of it.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

The Taxman posted:

Woman's hardcore matches have main evented every time they've had one iirc

The famous street fight where Bunny bled a gusher didn't main event; if I remember correctly, the main event for that show was Cody vs Ethan Page for the TNT title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Germansimp posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2RO8OlF4sw

How current is this being taped? Hope it's pretty recent cause that'd give me hope that Fenix returns soon.

Also Taya and Johnny continue to rule.

As long as we're asking questions, how the gently caress was Fenix doing flips like that in his goddamned socks?