Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Whomst!?
Hatters
Peacocks
Lancers
Hilltoppers
View Results

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
The seeds have been announced and I'm rolling out my 11th annual March Madness Bracket Challenge. This year, the big deal is that there is a women's bracketball contest, too!

Entry: Free!

1st prize for each bracket: One of these $25 Amazon gift cards I found while cleaning out my kitchen. Now when a heavily-accented man calls to tell you he is from the IRS and you will go to jail, you can be ready!

To enter, either:
A. Sign up here and fill out an online bracket
https://fantasy.espn.com/tc/sharer?...7d-59bcb202cead

Password: rentsdue

B. Fill out this bracket by hand and post it in here.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/ncaa-tournament/bracket/printable-men/

While I'm typing this out, I'm watching Selection Sunday to find the best team names. Who will be this year's Saint Peter's Peacocks?

It could be the 16th-seeded Stetson Hatters

Or will it be the Longwood Lancers?

Perhaps the Western Kentucky Hilltoppers won't need to cut off their toes to fit the glass slipper. What the gently caress is this thing:

I swear to God there is a team in this tournament named McCheese

Cats are marrying dogs out here, folks.

Deadline is tipoff for the Thursday games (not the Tuesday & Wednesday play-in games)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Women's Bracketball Link
https://fantasy.espn.com/tc/sharer?...7d-59bcb202cead

Password: rentsdue

or

Printable Bracket
https://www.cbssports.com/womens-college-basketball/ncaa-tournament/bracket/printable-women/

Who will make it far enough to get their corpses feasted upon by South Carolina and/or Caitlin Clark?

Will it be Stanford?

Or will it be the Kent State, um, Golden Flashes

There is apparently a second team named the Lancers. Will the women of Cal Baptist and the men of Longwood make this a double Lancer title?

Fairfield has made it to their fifth NCAA tournament. While the men's team is called the Stags (a male deer), the women's team is called

Well, they're also called the Stags.

Deadline is tipoff on Thursday (not the first-four games on Tuesday and Wednesday). All hail Queen Caitlin, Iowa is the only basketball I've watched all year.

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 20, 2024

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
The women's bracketball challenge is out. Check the second post of this thread for the deets

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Grey Cat posted:

I don't know anything about sport so have a bracket completely based on how much I liked (or even hated) a mascot to victory.

Women's coming soon.

Personally I'm hoping for a Mayor McNeese vs. WKU whose mascot looks like a purple Grimace showdown.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Bump I'll sticky

Thanks!

Tournament officially starts tomorrow, get your entries in!

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
5 years ago some guy fell ill and got hopped up on cold meds. He made a bracket, fell asleep, and didn't remember making the bracket at all... until a few days later when the NCAA called.

He had gotten all 48 games of the first two rounds right

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/39752102/march-madness-perfect-bracket-gregg-nigl-ncaa-history

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

I. M. Gei posted:

The odds of getting a perfect bracket are really, really astoundingly loving small. Depending on how predictably the games go based on poo poo like team stats and season records, they can range anywhere from about one in 120 billion to one in 9.2 quintillion. This is why so many people win bracket contests by just picking teams at random; there are so many random unpredictable factors that go into March Madness games that just looking at stats on paper is almost worthless.

Someone did the math in one of the SAS threads last year and you have a better chance of correctly guessing a working 16-digit debit card number AND the card's 3-digit security code out of thin air (assuming you somehow already know the exp date and PIN), using that card number to buy one Powerball ticket, and winning the Powerball jackpot with that ticket than you have of getting a perfect March Madness bracket.

Tomorrow, if I have a free minute, I'm going to figure out the odds of a chalk bracket going perfect based on the % of times each seed has been upset.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
For transparency: I'm creating multiple entries for my account right now. This is to enter all the hand-submitted brackets, like Grey Cat's. Each one will have the submitter's name on it, even though it may be attributed to my main account. Please don't submit a second bracket during this period, it will be deleted.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Grey Cat posted:

Does that mean I should hold off on the women's bracket?

No, post it as soon as you can please. I phrased that poorly, I meant don't enter the same contest twice.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Presto posted:

I know nothing about basketball and I won our office March Madness pool one year by picking teams based on whether I had heard of them or not. Kentucky? OK I've heard of Kentucky. Gonzaga? Where the gently caress is Gonzaga? Out!

My son's strategy of auto picking any team with a weird name just helped him nail that Duquesne upset

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
3 for 3 here, but so is my son who just picks randomly so not gonna victory lap.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Grey Cat posted:

Was my women's not entered in time?
Also I am not dead last so I count that as a win so far.

I know Gonzaga just because I lived like an hour from them at one point, but as far as hearing about 99% of the teams, nope.
I also didn't vote for them because I was sick of the fact that a dozen teams have pitbulls for mascots.
No I'll enter it. It's just going to take some shenanigans like turning on allowing late entries, entering it, then turning it off again. I'm at work herding 9 year olds so I haven't had the time.

The whole point is maximizing fun, not ruthlessly adhering to tight deadlines

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Grey Cat posted:

Yeah I saw the real name stuff and thought no thanks. I don't need some parasocial weirdo finding me offsite.
Why I opted for the manual form

I'll mention that next time. Appreciate the poster who explained how to change names. I don't want anyone getting doxxed or otherwise cimpromised.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Drunk Nerds posted:

3 for 3 here, but so is my son who just picks randomly so not gonna victory lap.

And now random son is 8 for 8

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

I. M. Gei posted:

nvm both of these teams are rear end

I want to see John Calipari get screwed so drat bad.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
And SAKolby moves into sole first place after the Oakland upset call.

Didn't you win this whole thing a few years ago? Are you like a bracket God or something?

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
TIL that, even if a coworker is doing well in your March Madness contest, shouting "Hey, Maria, nice bracket!" will get you some side eyes from parents at the elementary school.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Like 1 double digit seed total in the two Sweet Sixteens?

Beyond boring, boo!

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Grey Cat posted:

My women's bracket never got uploaded that's why I want to know how to check.

It will be uploaded, that Is on my list.

Correct picks in the first round get 10 points. That doubles every round so second round correct picks get 20 each, third round get 40, etc.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Cmon NC State. We need a double digit seed in the E8. It's like that movie Cabin in the Woods, the world ends otherwise.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Who the hell picked both NC State and Alabama in the Final Four? They earned their current first place standing

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

redshirt posted:

That Burns kid from NC State is something else. So big, so... large, and yet, he moves like a dancer, so quick too. And his shot is sweeet!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RE4JgJoeQH8

I love my smiling, goony, double-digit seeded Buddha. He shall be our new God.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
41 points 12 assists 7 rebounds. Give the Queen her flowers.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
If Iowa wins tomorrow my son wins the women's bracket

If SC wins tomorrow, I win it.

Who is still alive in the Men's, not anyone in my family is

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Edey really sucks at basketball. He had three guys on him in the paint and never once thought to look for the two open guys and pass it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
So, who won the Men's bracket? Who is Wahoops11?