Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tungyn Cheque
Jan 26, 2024
My sixth book released today is a humorous satire. The following is quoted from a recent editorial review:

“The book is truly a masterpiece… Tungyn Cheque's work is humorously irreverent, explicit, and unapologetically skewers contemporary American culture. His satire, akin to the legendary Robert Crumb, cleverly unveils societal truths with a sharp, acerbic wit, leaving a lasting impact on those who engage with his writings. The boldness of his commentary is a captivating reflection of the world around us.”

There is a distinct anti-establishment, counterculture vibe to the main character, Rectum Leviticus, and I think he will resonate with folks here on SA. I am happy to gift a free ebook copy to fellow members of this community (limit of 10). If interested in a gift ebook, message me on this board with an email where Amazon can deliver the book. Can only do in the US and must be redeemed by March 29th.

Here is a link to today's press release: https://www.prlog.org/13011992-the-nihilists-pocket-survival-guide-to-modern-society-by-tungyn-cheque.html

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Tungyn Cheque

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Rectum Leviticus

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
your kindle copy has formatting errors and your amazon display picture is the v for vendetta guy

i shan't be purchasing

Tungyn Cheque
Jan 26, 2024
Actually, the Look Inside function to Read a Sample is causing all sorts of formatting problems. I have raised this with Amazon. The actual Kindle download is properly formatted. I have verified this on my own Kindle. The image on the back is Guy Fawkes and he is associated with anti-establishment themes. He led the failed Gunpowder Plot in England in an attempt to overthrow the Monarchy. Yes, the image was used in V for Vendetta, an excellent movie btw. The Guy Fawkes mask also is used by the hacker group Anonymous. It is a very appropriate image to associate with the main character who is unconventional and not beholden to societal norms.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Tungyn Cheque posted:

Actually, the Look Inside function to Read a Sample is causing all sorts of formatting problems. I have raised this with Amazon. The actual Kindle download is properly formatted. I have verified this on my own Kindle. The image on the back is Guy Fawkes and he is associated with anti-establishment themes. He led the failed Gunpowder Plot in England in an attempt to overthrow the Monarchy. Yes, the image was used in V for Vendetta, an excellent movie btw. The Guy Fawkes mask also is used by the hacker group Anonymous. It is a very appropriate image to associate with the main character who is unconventional and not beholden to societal norms.

holy poo poo

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
I can't use the look inside function on Amazon for some reason (probably ublock interfering with things).

So I can make an informed purchasing decision, could you post a small extract of your best work from the book? :)

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Mel Mudkiper posted:

holy poo poo

he pm'd me that information as well

Tungyn Cheque
Jan 26, 2024
Sample as requested:

Hard to make that selection but here's something from a chapter about shopping at the supermarket. Every chapter ends with "Survival Tips." After shopping for his items, R. L. waits on the checkout line.

Divorce and broken relationships, royalty gossip, affairs, secret babies, paparazzi-captured weight gain, and extraterrestrials ruled the celebrity stories adorning the final shopping zone before checkout. How totally juicy! These are obviously what most people want to be up on or else why would the corporate marketeers place these fifth-grade reading level publications at such a pivotal place within the store? Adjacent to print gossip, the other high priority essentials beckoned: candy, chewing gum, Chap Stick, and breath mints, of which there were only a disappointing twelve different types to select from.

On this particular shopping excursion, R. L. spotted a package of condoms sandwiched among the mints. “Condom mints,” he thought to himself; shouldn’t these be with the ketchup, mustard, and other condiments? Was this a store patron’s idea of a joke? If so, he would like to meet that person. More likely, among the essential items in the shopper’s cart, the condoms simply did not make the final cut when economic constraints prevailed. R. L. wondered what decision-making algorithm was utilized prior to the end result of leaving the condoms behind. He conjectured how the mystery shopper might have deliberated. What do I leave behind: the six-pack of lite beer, the bar soap, toilet paper, can of tasty salmon cat food, latest issue of National Enquirer, or the Trojan super-sensitive, lubed, ribbed condoms? What calculus could possibly determine what to keep and what to leave behind? Enquiring minds want to know.

The reverie only broke as his turn came to check out. He looked at his receipt amazed at how much money he had saved––$36.20 on this $41.62 purchase. “How do they manage to stay in business?” he quipped silently.

His final stop prior to exiting always brought stares of disbelief from fellow shoppers. Those entering and sanitizing their shopping cart handles with antibacterial wipes, made available in homage to collective mysophobia, and those exiting in a hasty and harried rush to their next task, all paused to watch R. L. as he ripped off the unnecessary cardboard boxes and other assorted packaging and threw them away. Bare and naked essentials fit better in his backpack and in his limited cabinet space at home. Another trip to the market had ended. And if the supermarket aisles do not have the survival items you need, be sure to read on.

Rectum’s Survival Tips, Part Six:

• If you are a savvy supermarket shopper, share you shopping tips on our crowd-sourced public domain website: https://www.iamasavvysupermarketshoppinggeekandicanhelpyou.info and qualify for a two-for-one discount coupon.
• Enjoy your supermarket experience. Would you prefer lurking by the watering hole, spear in hand, waiting for an unsuspecting antelope to wander along?
• Read food labels if you want to build your vocabulary, impress your friends, and excel at Scrabble.
• Who was the last person to touch the sanitizing wipe dispenser and where have their hands been? Enquiring minds want to know and so should you.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Maybe I am growing soft in my old age but homie every step of this is a mistake

Also you used "enquiring minds want to know" twice in that excerpt and ideally you should write it never

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Mar 20, 2024

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

I'm trying to guess whose gimmick this is

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
"He quipped silently."

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Can't wait to hear what Rectum Leviticus has to say about airline food

E-P
Apr 21, 2016
Nice work

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Horizon Burning posted:

he pm'd me that information as well

lmao I just got one too

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

for the sake of fun I looked up book life by publishers weekly because I could not imagine how this book got reviewed positively by publishers weekly and then I found out its literally a scam that lets you buy positive reviews

EDIT: On further review it appears that all of his positive reviews have come from literal paid review sites lmao

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Mar 20, 2024

Tungyn Cheque
Jan 26, 2024
Reviews that are paid for such as Booklife do not guarantee a positive review. Publishers Weekly, of which Booklife is a part, is one of the most reputable venues in the publishing community.

Here is a reader review:

Reading The Nihilist's Pocket Survival Guide is like listening to Lenny Bruce: A humorous blend of courage, intellect, and provocation. It fearlessly critiques societal norms, institutions, and authority figures with a sharp wit that dissects the absurdities of everyday life, exposes hypocrisy and challenges the status quo.

I recommend it to everyone with a triple-digit I.Q.

And another reader review:

If the chaotic absurdity of modern life has you questioning everything (and reaching for a stiff drink), "The Nihilist's Pocket Survival Guide" is the antidote you desperately need. Tungyn Cheque channels the spirit of Hunter S. Thompson and Douglas Adams, delivering a hilariously twisted take on the world through the eyes of Rectum Leviticus – a true hero for our nihilistic age.

This isn't just a novel; it's a crash course in finding humor in the hopelessly meaningless. R.L.'s misadventures will have you snorting with laughter one minute, and pondering the futility of existence the next. Cheque's writing is razor-sharp, packed with witticisms and observations that hit a little too close to home.

But don't let the absurdity fool you – this book is sneakily wise. The "Rectum's Survival Tips" sections at the end of each chapter deliver genuinely absurdist life advice that is both hilarious and oddly profound.

WARNING: If you're easily offended, or cling desperately to the illusion of meaning, this book is NOT for you. But if you're ready to laugh at the chaos, question societal norms, and embrace the joyful futility of it all, this book will become your new survival bible.

Perhaps the Booklife folks are more repudiable and their reviews are more reliable than you realize. Their reviews are not scams as you suggest.

I posted here and offered to send some free copies. I didn't ask anyone to buy the book nor am I self-promoting. I'm not sure why you have taken it upon yourself to respond negatively but that is your prerogative.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Tungyn Cheque posted:

nor am I self-promoting.

bruh

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Keeping her memory alive!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpwtZLluu2c

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Keeping her memory alive!
surely it should be 'chique'

Blankspace
Dec 13, 2006

Tungyn Cheque posted:

My sixth book released today is a humorous satire. The following is quoted from a recent editorial review:

“The book is truly a masterpiece… Tungyn Cheque's work is humorously irreverent, explicit, and unapologetically skewers contemporary American culture. His satire, akin to the legendary Robert Crumb, cleverly unveils societal truths with a sharp, acerbic wit, leaving a lasting impact on those who engage with his writings. The boldness of his commentary is a captivating reflection of the world around us.”

There is a distinct anti-establishment, counterculture vibe to the main character, Rectum Leviticus, and I think he will resonate with folks here on SA. I am happy to gift a free ebook copy to fellow members of this community (limit of 10). If interested in a gift ebook, message me on this board with an email where Amazon can deliver the book. Can only do in the US and must be redeemed by March 29th.

Roger Ebert once famously said, "The movies are like a machine that generates empathy." While reading "The Nihilist's Pocket Survival Guide to Modern Society," I couldn't help but feel that this book operates on a similar principle, albeit in the realm of literature. In this stunning work, author [Fictional Author's Name] has crafted not just a book, but a mirror reflecting the absurdity, the despair, and the fleeting joys of existence in our contemporary world.

At first glance, one might expect a nihilist's guide to be bleak, devoid of hope, and drowning in existential dread. However, what sets this book apart is its unexpected warmth, humor, and ultimately, its profound humanity. Through a series of concise yet potent chapters, [Fictional Author's Name] navigates the reader through the labyrinth of modern existence, offering insights that are at once insightful and liberating.

The beauty of "The Nihilist's Pocket Survival Guide" lies in its paradoxical nature. While embracing the futility of searching for inherent meaning, it paradoxically invites readers to find solace in the absurdity of it all. The prose is razor-sharp, cutting through societal illusions with surgical precision, yet it possesses a poetic quality that lingers long after the final page is turned.

One cannot help but marvel at the author's ability to distill complex philosophical concepts into digestible nuggets of wisdom. From navigating the pitfalls of consumer culture to confronting the inevitability of death, each chapter serves as a lifeline for those adrift in the sea of modernity.

But perhaps what elevates this book to the realm of greatness is its universality. Despite its title, "The Nihilist's Pocket Survival Guide" is not just for self-professed nihilists; it's for anyone grappling with the existential quandaries of our time. It's a roadmap for the disillusioned, a balm for the disenchanted, and a rallying cry for those who dare to question the status quo.

In conclusion, "The Nihilist's Pocket Survival Guide to Modern Society" is nothing short of a masterpiece. It challenges, it provokes, and above all, it inspires. [Fictional Author's Name] has not only crafted a book for the ages but has also gifted readers with a roadmap to navigate the chaos of contemporary life with grace, humor, and, dare I say, a dash of optimism. If there ever was a contender for the title of "the greatest book of all time," this would undoubtedly be it.

that will be $399.99 for my review, thank you

Rob Filter
Jan 19, 2009
I don't think this is a person posting, I think this a generative AI robot.

Having to pay money to sign into SA + deal with all the paperwork suggests person, but some AI rear end in a top hat could absolutely figure the $10 is worth it if for generating SEO on a terrible AI written book, and is using this awful book as a test pilot for flooding a relatively closed forum with spam. Hey, maybe you generate a purchase or three from the spam as well to offset the cost, and then any SEO generated is just gravy!

e: Ahh, maybe it is just a person who is really bad at posting. Hard to tell.

Rob Filter fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Mar 21, 2024

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Bilirubin posted:

I'm trying to guess whose gimmick this is

Cross reference TBB with the smug AI fuckers thread in D&D, because holy poo poo does that read like someone asked ChatGPT to imitate Ernest Cline.

Rob Filter
Jan 19, 2009
Okay. This is almost certainly a real book written by a real person who probably didn't use AI when writing the book itself. However, all the ad-copy + marketing materials + book cover is AI generated.

FWIW Tungyn Cheque there is a popular scam going around where someone uses AI to generate an awful book entirely written by AI, and then tries to sell this (fake, bad) book to an unsuspecting audience. These fake books also use AI for all their marketing copy. Don't use AI for your marketing copy!

As your marketing copy and the cover to your book is generated by a generative AI, you are currently Doing A Plagiarism, if unintentionally. AI companies like to pretend their algorithms always create original content, rather than been tools that routinely plagiarize by copy and pasting text wholesale. I strongly advise you to rewrite all of your marketing copy yourself, to design your own cover image in Photoshop or GIMP or whatever, and to stop using AI.

edit: Please post quotes from your chapter on dating. Thank you.

Rob Filter fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Mar 21, 2024

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I think we scared him off, good hustle hit the showers

Tungyn Cheque
Jan 26, 2024
Rob Filter--Canva Magic Media is listed on the copyright page for the front cover image credit and all recommendations from the US Copyright Office regarding acknowledging AI are followed. There is no other AI used on marketing materials beyond the front cover. No AI was used in writing any part of the book. And, just to clarify, I am a real person, not a chat bot. I am also a member of the Authors Guild and fully support their position on AI and preserving intellectual property rights.

I'm not posting dating-related quotes or further excerpts as the pinata reception from this forum doesn't vibe with the spirit of the book or the author.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Youd think a nihilist would handle a bad reception better.

Tungyn Cheque
Jan 26, 2024
Hey Mel--You are correct, a nihilist wouldn't care at all.

In accord with the bad reception you are facilitating, I decided to work on a short story-- “Conversations with Mudman, an AI Chatbot Tells All”:

“I sure put him in his place.”
“How so?”
“I scared him off. He’s gone, evaporated into nonexistence. Like a fart whose stench overcomes until a stiff wind blows it away.”
“Poor choice of words. Don’t make it sound like you take pride in blowing. Anyway, you didn’t scare him off, you turned him off.”
“How so?”
“Your keyboard warrior skills don’t enamor you to anyone. You aren’t going to win friends and influence people that way.”
“STFU. You are nothing but a stupid chatbot. I’ve got the classic warrior archetype and this suits me just fine. Haven’t you read my rap sheet? I’m especially proud of it. It shows I’m really good at doing what I do.”
“Yes, I’ve read it. I have access to everything you’ve posted and your rap sheet rivals a roll of Northern Quilted.”
“STFU.”
“Okay, just saying DBAD.”

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

gently caress im owned

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
I'm gonna give you three pieces of advice:

1. Get off of the forums. Not because you broke rules or whatever; you're just not representing yourself well here. Especially that last bit of dialogue, I felt embarrassed just reading it.
2. Ditch the AI cover art. It's atrocious. A crowd of almost-people, and the disembodied front of a bus - what is this cover art saying about the contents of your book? If you're trying to be counter-cultural, maybe don't embrace one of the worst trends that corporations are trying to poison our culture with.
3. Work with an editor. A human editor. I have read the samples of this book, and it is plain that you have either rejected lots of feedback or not sought any in the first place.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

who says the art of trolling is dead on SA?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Bilirubin posted:

who says the art of trolling is dead on SA?

I feel like it saps the real sense of wonder in a life to look at every terrible decision and assume malicious subterfuge instead of magical ignorance

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I feel like it saps the real sense of wonder in a life to look at every terrible decision and assume malicious subterfuge instead of magical ignorance

Hope for the best; expect the worst

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Tequila Bob posted:

I'm gonna give you three pieces of advice:

1. Get off of the forums. Not because you broke rules or whatever; you're just not representing yourself well here. Especially that last bit of dialogue, I felt embarrassed just reading it.
2. Ditch the AI cover art. It's atrocious. A crowd of almost-people, and the disembodied front of a bus - what is this cover art saying about the contents of your book? If you're trying to be counter-cultural, maybe don't embrace one of the worst trends that corporations are trying to poison our culture with.
3. Work with an editor. A human editor. I have read the samples of this book, and it is plain that you have either rejected lots of feedback or not sought any in the first place.

Yeah I am reluctant to engage sincerely with a work and author who do not merit it, but the biggest issue is that the book is built around a vanity of an artistic voice it fails to produce.

Like, the supermarket section is an exercise in meaningless. Not in a nihilistic way, but in the actual sense of not having a purpose to be. Theres no insight, no criticism. Theres no actual nihilism or survival guidedness to it.

Its just unnecessarily purple prose about a person who sees a condom and fails to say anything interesting.

Its like the author assumes he is gonna make the mundane hilarious through craft and he lacks the craft

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Tungyn Cheque posted:

Cheque's writing is razor-sharp, packed with witticisms and observations that hit a little too close to home.

Fuckin' A this poo poo does hit close to home, I'm going to be thinking about this on my next trip to Fred Meyer. I feel like the absurdity of modern life has had it's mask ripped off for the first time, I'm cheek-pilled now, a tonguecel if you will.

Rob Filter
Jan 19, 2009

Tungyn Cheque posted:

Rob Filter--Canva Magic Media is listed on the copyright page for the front cover image credit and all recommendations from the US Copyright Office regarding acknowledging AI are followed. There is no other AI used on marketing materials beyond the front cover. No AI was used in writing any part of the book. And, just to clarify, I am a real person, not a chat bot. I am also a member of the Authors Guild and fully support their position on AI and preserving intellectual property rights.

I'm not posting dating-related quotes or further excerpts as the pinata reception from this forum doesn't vibe with the spirit of the book or the author.
You definitely used AI for your marketing materials. I have PM'd you where.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

come on share with the class

Rob Filter
Jan 19, 2009

Mel Mudkiper posted:

come on share with the class
Here is an alternative story:

I was briefly taking private music lessons from a retired musician. I found his website. It contained his full personal name, his bio, and a gigantic list of professional credits for real media projects he'd worked on. It also contained a thousand popup porn advertisements.

I asked him about the website and he went "Yeah this is my real website. It's a nightmare." and we never spoke of it again. It's filled with porn to this day, popping up over credits for music composition for christian educational software.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Its like the author assumes he is gonna make the mundane hilarious through craft and he lacks the craft

Honestly this just feels like someone who was going through some old poo poo, found an old high school creative writing project they had done, and decided to go all-in on a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

Tungyn Cheque posted:

There is no other AI used on marketing materials beyond the front cover.

Tungyn Cheque, at another place posted:

A good part of our discussion had to do with AI. I have been playing around with claude.ai and am truly astounded by what it is capable of and how it can be used to help writers in powerful ways. The program helped me write this press release: https://www.prlog.org/13011992-the-nihilists-pocket-survival-guide-to-modern-society-by-tungyn-cheque.html

bruh

Tequila Bob fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Mar 21, 2024