Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
I am not a nihilist (I believe in the value of human life, love, etc.). Can I still enjoy this novel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
I skimmed the Amazon preview and the story opens by explaining that the man is named Rectum because they misspelled "Rector" on his birth certificate. I hate to say it but I just don't find that scenario at all plausible.

That said, I think I need to read chapter 12, titled "Weird Stuff", before I can form a genuine opinion.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Antivehicular posted:

At last, God help us, R.L. has purchased his groceries. He's saved a lot of money, and he's very proud of how smart he is, in case we haven't intuited that element of his character yet.

I actually read this particular line totally differently. I read this as RL having a laugh at the fake "savings of $X! Wow!" line that stores include on receipts as marketing. I actually found that part sympathetic, because it really is goofy and demeaning to be fed a line about how the store totally saved you $30 after buying a bunch of tiny, shrinkflated tins for prices that are somehow 20% higher than they were a year ago. If that line is actually meant to be read straight then yikes, lol.

Speaking of which, that section was a huge missed opportunity for some commentary on inflation/shrinkflation/prices. That's something that hits close to home that people really care about. Also could have gone in on instacart and other "gig work" shopping services that are commonly seen at super markets these days. Nothing on self-checkouts? Nothing on those stupid membership cards that stores make you use to get the best price, or having to log into some lovely app to get the latest coupons? Really that entire section felt like it could have been written back in the 90's, all of the most annoying present day practices went totally ignored.

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 22, 2024

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

HopperUK posted:

'Faceless urban masses' aren't a reality! They're an illusion.

Oh? Then what's that image on the cover??? Checkmate

Tequila Bob posted:

He can't make the sample Chapter 1, though, because Chapter 1 is bad. It's actually less funny than the grocery chapter (I have a fondness for subtle puns and the "embalming" joke got a chuckle), and the story of Rectum Leviticus's birth and naming is both much more complicated and much less entertaining than it needs to be.

And the first gendered insult in the book occurs in literally the second sentence.

You can read chapter 1 in the Amazon preview thing, so that's probably the sample most people will actually see lol

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Tungsten Chic