Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
I'm gonna give you three pieces of advice:

1. Get off of the forums. Not because you broke rules or whatever; you're just not representing yourself well here. Especially that last bit of dialogue, I felt embarrassed just reading it.
2. Ditch the AI cover art. It's atrocious. A crowd of almost-people, and the disembodied front of a bus - what is this cover art saying about the contents of your book? If you're trying to be counter-cultural, maybe don't embrace one of the worst trends that corporations are trying to poison our culture with.
3. Work with an editor. A human editor. I have read the samples of this book, and it is plain that you have either rejected lots of feedback or not sought any in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

Tungyn Cheque posted:

There is no other AI used on marketing materials beyond the front cover.

Tungyn Cheque, at another place posted:

A good part of our discussion had to do with AI. I have been playing around with claude.ai and am truly astounded by what it is capable of and how it can be used to help writers in powerful ways. The program helped me write this press release: https://www.prlog.org/13011992-the-nihilists-pocket-survival-guide-to-modern-society-by-tungyn-cheque.html

bruh

Tequila Bob fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Mar 21, 2024

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

Tungyn Cheque posted:

Gertrude, there are insights he shares about how escapism plays out differently between the sexes. For instance, men might have trouble relating to paranormal romance novels which provide women with a sense of escapism from the reality of modern existence. Men might prefer football as a place to escape and some women have trouble relating to that.

This is setting off my sexism detector in a big way. These are some outdated-rear end stereotypes.

Tungyn Cheque posted:

There is a scene at his place of work where a coworker is using her feminine wiles in the worst possible way.

:barf:

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

Antivehicular posted:

Absolute hand-to-heart serious post: TC, I will write you a detailed critique of the grocery-store excerpt if you want it. I have some thoughts.

Please do this! Note that the entire chapter is available, via the author, at this Google Drive.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I showed this to my author friend and he bought a copy and is hate reading me excerpts

Is it true that one of Rectum's female coworkers uses her "feminine wiles" in the "worst possible way"? And is there anything about the scene to suggest that Rectum and/or Cheque are not as sexist as his previous post suggests?

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

Antivehicular posted:

If the character and narrative voice doesn't make sense without earlier context, your sample chapter needs to be Chapter 1, because giving your reader five random pages and claiming that they won't make sense without the full book is poo poo marketing.

He can't make the sample Chapter 1, though, because Chapter 1 is bad. It's actually less funny than the grocery chapter (I have a fondness for subtle puns and the "embalming" joke got a chuckle), and the story of Rectum Leviticus's birth and naming is both much more complicated and much less entertaining than it needs to be.

And the first gendered insult in the book occurs in literally the second sentence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

Antivehicular posted:

I am shocked, shocked to hear that another chapter of this sucks and is misogynist. (Let me guess: our boy has issues with his mom?)

Rectum doesn't, in the sample anyway, but Tungyn does. He calls her "ditzy" and says her brain is "ravaged by too many dubious drugs" for no apparent reason; these traits aren't referenced again. And the mother actually has some normal, sensible dialogue later in the chapter, the only error being a tiny misnaming of Braxton Hicks contractions. ("The ditzy drug ho can't even name medical terms precisely, ha ha!", we are supposed to think.)

Tequila Bob fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Mar 22, 2024