Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tungyn Cheque
Jan 26, 2024
My sixth book released today is a humorous satire. The following is quoted from a recent editorial review:

“The book is truly a masterpiece… Tungyn Cheque's work is humorously irreverent, explicit, and unapologetically skewers contemporary American culture. His satire, akin to the legendary Robert Crumb, cleverly unveils societal truths with a sharp, acerbic wit, leaving a lasting impact on those who engage with his writings. The boldness of his commentary is a captivating reflection of the world around us.”

There is a distinct anti-establishment, counterculture vibe to the main character, Rectum Leviticus, and I think he will resonate with folks here on SA. I am happy to gift a free ebook copy to fellow members of this community (limit of 10). If interested in a gift ebook, message me on this board with an email where Amazon can deliver the book. Can only do in the US and must be redeemed by March 29th.

Here is a link to today's press release: https://www.prlog.org/13011992-the-nihilists-pocket-survival-guide-to-modern-society-by-tungyn-cheque.html

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tungyn Cheque
Jan 26, 2024
Actually, the Look Inside function to Read a Sample is causing all sorts of formatting problems. I have raised this with Amazon. The actual Kindle download is properly formatted. I have verified this on my own Kindle. The image on the back is Guy Fawkes and he is associated with anti-establishment themes. He led the failed Gunpowder Plot in England in an attempt to overthrow the Monarchy. Yes, the image was used in V for Vendetta, an excellent movie btw. The Guy Fawkes mask also is used by the hacker group Anonymous. It is a very appropriate image to associate with the main character who is unconventional and not beholden to societal norms.

Tungyn Cheque
Jan 26, 2024
Sample as requested:

Hard to make that selection but here's something from a chapter about shopping at the supermarket. Every chapter ends with "Survival Tips." After shopping for his items, R. L. waits on the checkout line.

Divorce and broken relationships, royalty gossip, affairs, secret babies, paparazzi-captured weight gain, and extraterrestrials ruled the celebrity stories adorning the final shopping zone before checkout. How totally juicy! These are obviously what most people want to be up on or else why would the corporate marketeers place these fifth-grade reading level publications at such a pivotal place within the store? Adjacent to print gossip, the other high priority essentials beckoned: candy, chewing gum, Chap Stick, and breath mints, of which there were only a disappointing twelve different types to select from.

On this particular shopping excursion, R. L. spotted a package of condoms sandwiched among the mints. “Condom mints,” he thought to himself; shouldn’t these be with the ketchup, mustard, and other condiments? Was this a store patron’s idea of a joke? If so, he would like to meet that person. More likely, among the essential items in the shopper’s cart, the condoms simply did not make the final cut when economic constraints prevailed. R. L. wondered what decision-making algorithm was utilized prior to the end result of leaving the condoms behind. He conjectured how the mystery shopper might have deliberated. What do I leave behind: the six-pack of lite beer, the bar soap, toilet paper, can of tasty salmon cat food, latest issue of National Enquirer, or the Trojan super-sensitive, lubed, ribbed condoms? What calculus could possibly determine what to keep and what to leave behind? Enquiring minds want to know.

The reverie only broke as his turn came to check out. He looked at his receipt amazed at how much money he had saved––$36.20 on this $41.62 purchase. “How do they manage to stay in business?” he quipped silently.

His final stop prior to exiting always brought stares of disbelief from fellow shoppers. Those entering and sanitizing their shopping cart handles with antibacterial wipes, made available in homage to collective mysophobia, and those exiting in a hasty and harried rush to their next task, all paused to watch R. L. as he ripped off the unnecessary cardboard boxes and other assorted packaging and threw them away. Bare and naked essentials fit better in his backpack and in his limited cabinet space at home. Another trip to the market had ended. And if the supermarket aisles do not have the survival items you need, be sure to read on.

Rectum’s Survival Tips, Part Six:

• If you are a savvy supermarket shopper, share you shopping tips on our crowd-sourced public domain website: https://www.iamasavvysupermarketshoppinggeekandicanhelpyou.info and qualify for a two-for-one discount coupon.
• Enjoy your supermarket experience. Would you prefer lurking by the watering hole, spear in hand, waiting for an unsuspecting antelope to wander along?
• Read food labels if you want to build your vocabulary, impress your friends, and excel at Scrabble.
• Who was the last person to touch the sanitizing wipe dispenser and where have their hands been? Enquiring minds want to know and so should you.

Tungyn Cheque
Jan 26, 2024
Reviews that are paid for such as Booklife do not guarantee a positive review. Publishers Weekly, of which Booklife is a part, is one of the most reputable venues in the publishing community.

Here is a reader review:

Reading The Nihilist's Pocket Survival Guide is like listening to Lenny Bruce: A humorous blend of courage, intellect, and provocation. It fearlessly critiques societal norms, institutions, and authority figures with a sharp wit that dissects the absurdities of everyday life, exposes hypocrisy and challenges the status quo.

I recommend it to everyone with a triple-digit I.Q.

And another reader review:

If the chaotic absurdity of modern life has you questioning everything (and reaching for a stiff drink), "The Nihilist's Pocket Survival Guide" is the antidote you desperately need. Tungyn Cheque channels the spirit of Hunter S. Thompson and Douglas Adams, delivering a hilariously twisted take on the world through the eyes of Rectum Leviticus – a true hero for our nihilistic age.

This isn't just a novel; it's a crash course in finding humor in the hopelessly meaningless. R.L.'s misadventures will have you snorting with laughter one minute, and pondering the futility of existence the next. Cheque's writing is razor-sharp, packed with witticisms and observations that hit a little too close to home.

But don't let the absurdity fool you – this book is sneakily wise. The "Rectum's Survival Tips" sections at the end of each chapter deliver genuinely absurdist life advice that is both hilarious and oddly profound.

WARNING: If you're easily offended, or cling desperately to the illusion of meaning, this book is NOT for you. But if you're ready to laugh at the chaos, question societal norms, and embrace the joyful futility of it all, this book will become your new survival bible.

Perhaps the Booklife folks are more repudiable and their reviews are more reliable than you realize. Their reviews are not scams as you suggest.

I posted here and offered to send some free copies. I didn't ask anyone to buy the book nor am I self-promoting. I'm not sure why you have taken it upon yourself to respond negatively but that is your prerogative.

Tungyn Cheque
Jan 26, 2024
Rob Filter--Canva Magic Media is listed on the copyright page for the front cover image credit and all recommendations from the US Copyright Office regarding acknowledging AI are followed. There is no other AI used on marketing materials beyond the front cover. No AI was used in writing any part of the book. And, just to clarify, I am a real person, not a chat bot. I am also a member of the Authors Guild and fully support their position on AI and preserving intellectual property rights.

I'm not posting dating-related quotes or further excerpts as the pinata reception from this forum doesn't vibe with the spirit of the book or the author.

Tungyn Cheque
Jan 26, 2024
Hey Mel--You are correct, a nihilist wouldn't care at all.

In accord with the bad reception you are facilitating, I decided to work on a short story-- “Conversations with Mudman, an AI Chatbot Tells All”:

“I sure put him in his place.”
“How so?”
“I scared him off. He’s gone, evaporated into nonexistence. Like a fart whose stench overcomes until a stiff wind blows it away.”
“Poor choice of words. Don’t make it sound like you take pride in blowing. Anyway, you didn’t scare him off, you turned him off.”
“How so?”
“Your keyboard warrior skills don’t enamor you to anyone. You aren’t going to win friends and influence people that way.”
“STFU. You are nothing but a stupid chatbot. I’ve got the classic warrior archetype and this suits me just fine. Haven’t you read my rap sheet? I’m especially proud of it. It shows I’m really good at doing what I do.”
“Yes, I’ve read it. I have access to everything you’ve posted and your rap sheet rivals a roll of Northern Quilted.”
“STFU.”
“Okay, just saying DBAD.”
At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Tungyn Cheque
Jan 26, 2024
Tequila Bob--Yes, Claude.ai helped me in some of the construction of the Press Release and that is part of marketing. it was an oversight not to mention that and I stand corrected.

Tungyn Cheque
Jan 26, 2024
Gertrude, there are insights he shares about how escapism plays out differently between the sexes. For instance, men might have trouble relating to paranormal romance novels which provide women with a sense of escapism from the reality of modern existence. Men might prefer football as a place to escape and some women have trouble relating to that. There is a scene at his place of work where a coworker is using her feminine wiles in the worst possible way.

Tungyn Cheque
Jan 26, 2024
Addendum to my answer to Tequila Bob: AI has also been helpful in suggesting marketing opportunities and target audiences. Here are the sorts of things I'm talking about:

Counterculture and alternative lifestyle enthusiasts: Those who identify with counterculture movements or embrace alternative lifestyles may resonate with the book's rejection of societal norms and expectations.

Fans of absurdist fiction: Readers who enjoy the works of authors like Kurt Vonnegut, Douglas Adams, and Franz Kafka may be drawn to the book's absurdist elements and unconventional narrative style.

There were many suggestions related to an overlapping demographic with people who are fans of punk and grunge music with detailed explanations why. This is using AI for research.

As an aside in reference to a prior comment--the entire novel was professionally edited at considerable cost.

Tungyn Cheque
Jan 26, 2024
Many comments since yesterday when I last checked the forum. I'll address some of them specifically but most generally.

Rob Filter--I used a private professional editor that I had previously worked with on another project.
SS--No further excerpts, partly because of the pinata reception but mostly because they are out of context.
Story arc and character arc build throughout a novel. To draw any conclusions about story or character based on a single chapter or excerpt from a chapter invites misinterpretation. I only included a sample chapter in the media kit because that is recommended, but I hardly think it's a valid way to make any determinations about the book as a whole.

This has generally been a tough crowd with respect to my original post. Folks are critical of the cover, the editing, the writing, the reviews, the marketing, and just about every aspect. That's fine. I can take it and the cover art criticisms are valid to a point. Nameless, faceless urban masses are a reality that Rectum Levitcus has a unique perspective on. The AI image needs some photoshopping. For folks who haven't read the book, I offered to gift up to 10 copies. I haven't had any takers but the offer still stands through March 29. My intent with that offer was simply to share something with a readership that I thought would vibe with the story and the character. If a person likes it, maybe they recommend it to another person. I still think most of the people on this forum would enjoy the book. A lot of criticism that's been levied, I take with a grain of salt. If someone hasn't read the book, the criticism says more about that person than the book. I don't appreciate criticism directed at me personally. You don't know me. Would you criticize the food at a restaurant you never ate at and don't know anyone else who has? Thus far, I haven't attacked anyone beyond a mild smack down of MM. Yet, I abide multiple criticisms from people who don't know me and haven't read my work. I don't know how many others of you have written books. If you have, congrats, that is a fine achievement. Criticizing a book is a lot easier than writing, publishing, and marketing one. Getting feedback from readers is one of the ways writers improve their craft. So, I value that feedback even if it isn't positive. If your MO is to throw stones go for it but do it after reading the book. Aim your stones at the person in the jean-pocket photo. That's my own rear end so you have a nice target. Chill.

Tungyn Cheque
Jan 26, 2024
Wrong again, MM. That's a real person who received an ARC (Advanced Reader Copy) and posted a review. And the questions in the media kit are not AI generated.

MM if you want a free copy, message me with your email. Amazon will send you a redemption code to download a copy.

Tungyn Cheque
Jan 26, 2024
Thank you AcidCat. You just proved my point. You know nothing about the character because this excerpt is from the middle of the book. You would understand his unique perspective if you understood the character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tungyn Cheque
Jan 26, 2024
Thanks Vox Nihili! Shrinkflation wasn't much of a topic when I was writing the book, but I might just add a line or two and submit a revision.

Mel, I appreciate your comments. I will put my Kevlar body armor in the closet for the moment.