Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Tungyn Cheque posted:

Cheque's writing is razor-sharp, packed with witticisms and observations that hit a little too close to home.

Fuckin' A this poo poo does hit close to home, I'm going to be thinking about this on my next trip to Fred Meyer. I feel like the absurdity of modern life has had it's mask ripped off for the first time, I'm cheek-pilled now, a tonguecel if you will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Its like the author assumes he is gonna make the mundane hilarious through craft and he lacks the craft

Honestly this just feels like someone who was going through some old poo poo, found an old high school creative writing project they had done, and decided to go all-in on a bit.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Antivehicular posted:

Dare one ask what Rectum Leviticus does for a living?

IT of course, where he has to interact with clueless office drones who just don't 'get' his brand of zany genius.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Im struggling to understand why you would get an AI to market your book for you

Its all part of the counterculture vibe man, squares like you just dont get it.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Tungyn Cheque posted:

His final stop prior to exiting always brought stares of disbelief from fellow shoppers. Those entering and sanitizing their shopping cart handles with antibacterial wipes, made available in homage to collective mysophobia, and those exiting in a hasty and harried rush to their next task, all paused to watch R. L. as he ripped off the unnecessary cardboard boxes and other assorted packaging and threw them away. Bare and naked essentials fit better in his backpack and in his limited cabinet space at home.

This passage in particular, I struggle with what the author/ai is describing. Everyone stops to stare in disbelief because Rectum is, opening packages and putting foodstuffs in his backpack? Like is he pouring a box of cereal in there and throwing the box on the ground? Ripping raw meat out of the package and throwing it in his backpack? What else would be so shocking?

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

lol thanks Antivehicular for the thorough dismantling of this dreck.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Tungyn Cheque posted:

Nameless, faceless urban masses are a reality that Rectum Levitcus has a unique perspective on.

There is zero evidence of a "unique perspective" displayed by your character in the shopping excerpt you shared. It simply reads like completely banal "I am smarter and better than all the dumb people around me" perspective that millions of teenage boys go through. Maybe by the end he realizes that these "nameless, faceless masses" are not in fact NPCs for him to feel superior to, but humans all with their own interior lives and problems? I doubt it.

AcidCat fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Mar 22, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

If he has a unique perspective then why didn't you share an excerpt that actually demonstrates that even a little bit.