Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

page 2 and no irc? cmon

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahatma Goonsay
Jun 6, 2007
Yum
my first programming job was to write software to communicate to laboratory analyzers via serial port. I remember Kermit protocol being particularly weird. https://www.kermitproject.org/kproto.pdf. This was in like 2010, not in the 1980s, hahaha.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

it is kind of amazing how many old (and even new) protocols fail to do encapsulation in a sensible way (i.e. "this is the unit; this is the payload, the payload cannot be anything other than payload). it is not like there weren't very famous examples demonstrating how to do it.

Mahatma Goonsay
Jun 6, 2007
Yum
Yeah, I was giving poo poo to kermit, but at least it has check sums. Some analyzers would basically just give us the printer output. Imagine a flipped bit switching the result of a medical test from positive to negative. What a shitshow.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Shaggar posted:

the chat is irc with the javascript client replacing certain things w/ html ui elements (i.e. emotes). the video stuff is unrelated to the irc stuff afaik, its just presented side by side in the client

it used to be more traditional ircds on the backend but then twitch plays pokemon happened. https://www.infoq.com/presentations/twitch-pokemon/ is a fun talk on that

https://archive.org/details/alexander-charalabidis-the-book-of-irc-2000-scan has some hilarious bits about how broken the federation protocol is, namely that someone with the handle Jupiter discovered that you could make your client pretend that it was a particular server and thus prevent the server from federating

Qtotonibudinibudet fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Mar 25, 2024

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
quote is not edit

Qtotonibudinibudet fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Mar 25, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Kazinsal posted:

decnet phase iv

might set up a decnet for fun once I fix my vax

hell yeah get it on the hecnet