Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

His legacy is the reminder to take joy in the simple pleasures. RIP hungry man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Wait so did they have this image printed up at many military bases as standard issue decorations? I know I've seen this image before but just online or ytmnd or something.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Khanstant posted:

Wait so did they have this image printed up at many military bases as standard issue decorations? I know I've seen this image before but just online or ytmnd or something.

Yes, specifically US Air Force bases. Since they don't exactly get ad budgets, they just picked him since he was a handsome, affable guy working in food safety at the time.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Food is the best branch of the military, those troops I genuinely support. My great grandpa was in WW2 and it was cool learning he was in charge of cooking for somebigass battleship. As a kid I wondered then why did great grandma do all the cooking but aside from ~different times~ I understand feeding a buncha of hungry soldiers with whatever you are given, during war, is very different and not necessarily translatable skills to making thanksgiving dinner.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I miss hot dog man

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Khanstant posted:

Food is the best branch of the military, those troops I genuinely support. My great grandpa was in WW2 and it was cool learning he was in charge of cooking for somebigass battleship. As a kid I wondered then why did great grandma do all the cooking but aside from ~different times~ I understand feeding a buncha of hungry soldiers with whatever you are given, during war, is very different and not necessarily translatable skills to making thanksgiving dinner.

I love the idea of the navy ice cream ship in WW2 so much.

Just out there in the Pacific, making ice cream, avoiding danger....Would be a great setting for a story IMO.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

redshirt posted:

Just out there in the Pacific, making ice cream, avoiding danger....Would be a great setting for a story IMO.

i think the ships all had their own ice cream makers. at least the submarines did.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

3 DONG HORSE posted:

i think the ships all had their own ice cream makers. at least the submarines did.

I thought in WW2 they had a dedicated ship for this but I could be wrong. I hope I'm not!

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Hot dog man helped me get over my fear of eating hot dogs in theaters

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Khanstant posted:

I was stuck onboard a submarine, in port, for Thanksgiving once, the lead cook came down with his whole family and cooked a full Thanksgiving spread for us and them, good stuff too, better than a lot of home cooked Thanksgiving meals.

I really appreciated that.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

All hot dogs should be half-off at every class six store and base exchange across the country in a period of mourning, imo :rip:

Flags at half-staff, hot dogs at half-price :patriot:

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Favorite hot dog toppings, go!

Ket
May
AmCh

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
First Kate, now Sgt Chowdown. Who’s next, Mr. Cool Ice?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Smugworth posted:

Favorite hot dog toppings, go!

Mus
Tom
Onoins

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
Onion, dill relish, spicy mustard

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

mustard and dill relish or chili, shredded cheese and mustard.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I used him for the back cover of the fabled graffiti dickart book we made in the milgoon subforum

Rest in peace you hotdog man

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
Not gonna lie looking at the sgt. Chowdown pic brings me a tiny bit of joy

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Aw, oh no :(
I don't think I've gotten more cumulative enjoyment over the years from seeing another person prepare to devour a hot dog :rip:

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

I wondered why he made that zigzag shape with the mustard.

Was that all the joy he had left, to figure out the best spread pattern of mustard per bite?

Or was it something more, was he scratching that zigzag into everything, banisters, his wrists, along the thigh seam on his dungarees?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

covidstomper58 posted:

I wondered why he made that zigzag shape with the mustard.

Was that all the joy he had left, to figure out the best spread pattern of mustard per bite?

Or was it something more, was he scratching that zigzag into everything, banisters, his wrists, along the thigh seam on his dungarees?

Some junior officer took an elective on marketing at west point and really wanted to show their chops

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Smugworth posted:

Hot dog man helped me get over my fear of eating hot dogs in theaters
The Pacific or European theater?

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

He is an angel now, a winged wienerman.

rain dogs
Apr 19, 2020

He had that dog in him

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

redshirt posted:

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Bigger ships could make their own ice cream.

These bad boys served the little guys.

Legend has it that upon learning of the existence of the floating ice cream factories, Japanese officers knew that the war had been lost.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
didnt subs have their own ice cream machine

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Milo and POTUS posted:

didnt subs have their own ice cream machine

Yeah, I did a submarine tour at omsi and it did in fact have a soft serve machine.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I think it's good that the other ships get birthday cakes

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Who cares about an Eternal Mandate of Heaven when you can make 10,000 cookies in one day?

https://www.patriotspoint.org/news-and-events/cookies-made-from-uss-yorktowns-wwii-recipe-now-available-for-ordering-online/

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

thanks, driftingmouse

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I can just never get over how he's holding that hot dog

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

It's why we won WWII :c00lbert:

MoonshineWilly
Feb 7, 2007

Damn you, harlot! Science and I know what we're doing!
drat, RIP to Sgt Chowdown. Seems like he had a good sense of humor about his hotdog photo op becoming internet legend.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Doctor Butts posted:

I can just never get over how he's holding that hot dog

Probably the photographer who told him that the image was going to be cropped to a square and told him to bring the hot dog and soda closer so everything was in frame.

The rest became history and a legend was born that day the shutter snapped.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

i'm not sure this is the thread for it, but does anybody want to invest in my novelty hotdog snack "dippin' dogs"? just a bunch of tiny little spherical flash-frozen meat units that come in bucket. I'm thinking standard flavor, caramel-covered, black licorice, etc.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

imo this would be more appropriate to play at the funeral

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoavHX75s_E

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Grey Cat posted:

Yeah, I did a submarine tour at omsi and it did in fact have a soft serve machine.

If you mix the orange drank powder in the vanilla soft serve mix it makes a delicious Creamsicle flavor.

If the "hardpack" (actual ice cream) appears at lunch after several weeks/months at sea, it means you're about to get extended at sea and go on severely limited rations.

Now you know everything there is to know about submarines and ice cream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

came to pay tribute to Sgt. Chowdown and I get blindsided by the cookie recipe from my grandpa's aircraft carrier, this is an emotional day