Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

ate two bagels this morning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

my friend pronounces it "baggle"

:sever:

MassTran
Feb 27, 2015

I like to put fruit preserves on top of my bagels with cream cheese

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024

MassTran posted:

I like to put fruit preserves on top of my bagels with cream cheese

apricot? blackberry? don’t leave me hangin

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

gooseberry jam and cream cheese is a nice mix of sweet and tart. maybe a little za'atar or chili crisp to add some flavor. maybe ill do that for dinner with a bit of salmon and roast broccoli:yum:

MassTran
Feb 27, 2015

Ignore_Me posted:

apricot? blackberry? don’t leave me hangin

Depends on the bagel type but blueberry, raspberry, and strawberry are my preserves of choice when it comes to complimenting the cream cheese flavor

Eat This Glob posted:

gooseberry jam and cream cheese is a nice mix of sweet and tart. maybe a little za'atar or chili crisp to add some flavor. maybe ill do that for dinner with a bit of salmon and roast broccoli:yum:

:hmmyes:

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
bagels are too dense i need more air in my bread

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

you're weak and not prepared for what's coming. face to bagels

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

that's what the holes are for bud

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024
I’m wondering if goat cheese instead of cream cheese might pair nicely with a sweet preserve on a bagel. it has a spreadable consistency after all. have the cheese but no bagels or jam.

will post trip report next time I scav the dumpster behind bagel boy

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Bagel Boy, the best superhero sidekick ever

MassTran
Feb 27, 2015

Tell bagel boy I said hi

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

raspberry/jalapeño jam is the best jam; I stock up on it from a farm that sells it at the summer markets here.

the grocery stores usually have fluffy bagels; I ate them when I was going thru dental work.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Mr. Sharps posted:

mmy portland bread friend (everybody on the west coast has one) recently gifted me some of his einkorn and spelt sourdough and a good thick slice of that (i prefer just shy of an inch) toasted and buttered is good as any breakfast just on its own!

sounds awesome

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

my favorite jam is habanero. it's pretty subtle if you make it right but it takes an absolute shitload of peppers to make enough to hand jars out to friends. nothing better on buttered toast though

my_custom_username
Nov 30, 2023
habanero jam fuckin rocks

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

i say swears online posted:

my favorite jam is habanero. it's pretty subtle if you make it right but it takes an absolute shitload of peppers to make enough to hand jars out to friends. nothing better on buttered toast though

Do you can it and store it room temp? We make jams and jellies under a state approved cottage kitchen license and they do not allow veggies, even in an otherwise approved jam. Pineapple Habanero and Raspberry Jalapeno are our best sellers but we aren't allowed to sell them officially because of the pectin-acid-sugar-heat rules

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

500excf type r posted:

Do you can it and store it room temp? We make jams and jellies under a state approved cottage kitchen license and they do not allow veggies, even in an otherwise approved jam. Pineapple Habanero and Raspberry Jalapeno are our best sellers but we aren't allowed to sell them officially because of the pectin-acid-sugar-heat rules
I'm not sure I understand. what veggies? yeah I do my own canning and felt like I could leave them at room temp, but put them in the fridge because it's only a couple jars at a time.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

I'm not sure I understand. what veggies? yeah I do my own canning and felt like I could leave them at room temp, but put them in the fridge because it's only a couple jars at a time.

The peppers are the veggies

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

peppers are fruit, just like squash

i do strain like 95% of the actual plant material. it looks like amber when done

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

eating a bagel right now

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

peppers are fruit, just like squash

i do strain like 95% of the actual plant material. it looks like amber when done

Sorry "low acid foods" I just was reading a thing that said vegetables a lot

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

honestly never even heard of low-acid canning leading to botulism. i use a pressure cooker though

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
cant you just add some acid if you want it to keep better

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

that's easy for pickles but would probably throw off a jelly?

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Ignore_Me posted:

I’m wondering if goat cheese instead of cream cheese might pair nicely with a sweet preserve on a bagel. it has a spreadable consistency after all. have the cheese but no bagels or jam.

Yes

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024

World War Mammories posted:

ate two bagels this morning

eating a bagel right now

look at this bougie motherfucker

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Ohtori Akio posted:

cant you just add some acid if you want it to keep better

yep. just add a little orange juice when you can your bagels and it's all good

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Ignore_Me posted:

i used to work front desk at a hotel on an interstate and one of my truckers delivered fine foods to grocery store delis. he gave me two whole cases of this stuff once

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Got the lunch special at the diner, but in honor of this thread I ordered a side bagel.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

ate bagel and lox today

also carrot cake jam is the best jam on cream cheese

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Crusty Nutsack posted:

ate bagel and lox today

also carrot cake jam is the best jam on cream cheese

carrot cake jam, what is this northern wizardry

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Ignore_Me posted:

look at this bougie motherfucker

if bagels are bougie i don't wanna be prole

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
saw a peppermint bagel this one time

pretty gross imo

Griz
May 21, 2001

honestly never even heard of low-acid canning leading to botulism. i use a pressure cooker though

low acid needs a pressure cooker to be properly sterilized because you need 240-250F to kill botulism spores

a bunch of people died of botulism from canned olives in 1919-20 and the subsequent investigation is where most of the food safety standards for canned goods came from
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/botulism-outbreak-gave-rise-americas-food-safety-system-180969868/

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024

if bagels are bougie i don't wanna be prole

Any food is bougie if you can get enough extra portions compared to everyone else. This is how caviar works, you can tell who’s richer by counting who has the most eggs. caviar also works on bagels so this is still technically on topic

i used to work front desk at a hotel on an interstate and one of my truckers delivered fine foods to grocery store delis. he gave me two whole cases of this stuff once

Look at this bougie motherfucker

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Ignore_Me posted:

Look at this bougie motherfucker

<:mad:>

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
when im not eating gruel my preferred way of eating simit (closest thing to a bagel i can get at a turkish breakfast) is with kaymak and honey or a bergamot jam

s'good

Zedhe Khoja has issued a correction as of 01:15 on Mar 25, 2024

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I am out of bagels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Zedhe Khoja posted:

when im not eating gruel my preferred way of eating simit (closest thing to a bagel i can get at a turkish breakfast) is with kaymak and honey or a bergamot jam

s'good

would