Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

I've always wanted a pool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Just imagine all that natural language interaction that you could control the harvesting of and feed into your LLM. Holding a few thousand shares will definitely get you buy-in to that sort of thing.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Bad Purchase posted:

you're hired

:sign: Just tell me what you need, boss.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

This is the perfect time for Reddit as it is the one platform that can fill the gaping hole left by Twitter. I revisited the app after several years of not using it, and I’m highly impressed at not only the realtime nature of the comments, but the respectfulness and intelligence of the commenters. Hopefully this IPO will remind everyone to give it a try and make it a role model for the others.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Reddit: where you can't you reply to a post with a picture

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
lmfao

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

would love to compare the quality of discussion between your average SA thread and the new york times comment section

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

would love to compare the quality of discussion between your average SA thread and the new york times comment section

they're exactly the same

(i copied my last post from the article comments :twisted:)

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

sorry about your cesspool, jeff

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
more of a swamp than a cesspool, i think

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

"Something Awful" as a brand will probably never shake this reputation

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

If waking up every day drenched in puke and then posting on this dying forums makes it a cesspool, well then gent and ladyfolk, I don't want to shower

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I read a NYT article earlier about the US gov lawsuit against apple and the comments section was really something. Just completely blind people.

When I think of reddit I always think of two things. A long since closed local takeout called Reddi-Chef, so I can almost taste the name when I think of it, and my lazy brained coworker who once piped up when asked what reddit was with "Its the front page of the internet!" non-ironically. He also enjoys listening to joe rogan.

Conversely to that rube of a journalist, I cant express my disdain when I google something and find only results from reddit.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Reddit as a group aggregate product reviewer, like something between Amazon reviews and NYTs wirecutter, can be good. There are a few subs that are SA-tier shitposting (weirdly /r/surfing)

the main page/discussion groups make Nextdoor look intelligent and well informed

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
lol cool

RavenousScoot
Mar 22, 2013

codo27 posted:

I read a NYT article earlier about the US gov lawsuit against apple and the comments section was really something. Just completely blind people.

When I think of reddit I always think of two things. A long since closed local takeout called Reddi-Chef, so I can almost taste the name when I think of it, and my lazy brained coworker who once piped up when asked what reddit was with "Its the front page of the internet!" non-ironically. He also enjoys listening to joe rogan.

Conversely to that rube of a journalist, I cant express my disdain when I google something and find only results from reddit.

adding reddit to a google search is usually actually more useful than normally using google's search now though
I don't even have a reddit account, but get some good mileage out of that trick

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

with google search, the power is in the user's hands! you can either search for the reddit comments directly, or don't and read the AI article results amalgamated from reddit comments instead

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

people don't add "reddit" to their searches because reddit has gotten good, they do it because google has become utter trash

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

clearly the author has never been on reddit.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

much of reddit is trash but i will say it has replaced the utility i used to get out of tech support forums on official sites. like these days if i need help with something in ableton or some adobe product i am far more likely to find a useful and current answer on reddit than i am on abletons help forum or any adobe site. but again thats not because reddit is particularly good but because the official sources/forums have just become more and more useless and kind of semi-abandoned.

its also good for news/updates about specific bands, the kind of stuff you used to find on fan forums.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Can we say the r-word again now?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

everything else has become so lovely you have to rely on reddit is the kind of ringing endorsement you want before an IPO I guess.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Reddit is cool for niche stuff, like if I wanted to make new maps for heroes of might and magic 3 I might go on reddit to figure out how, but I never go to the New York Times for anything.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Reddit is cool for niche stuff, like if I wanted to make new maps for heroes of might and magic 3 I might go on reddit to figure out how, but I never go to the New York Times for anything.

Even then, the vast majority of that stuff has moved to various Discords by now.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Can we say the r-word again now?

give it a try and find out

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

give it a try and find out

I’m shy :3:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

the fact thta i have to use reddit and fb groups for poo poo like this is absolutely maddening. i hate the modern internet so much

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

the fact thta i have to use reddit and fb groups for poo poo like this is absolutely maddening. i hate the modern internet so much

:hmmyes::shuckyes::hmmorks:

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Bring back web rings.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

All those shitposts gotta go somewhere. You best start believin' in cesspools, yer in one.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Found this picture of something awful and its owner

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i would like to find a group of likeminded internet historians with whom to re-enact the great rec.music.industrial "is nine inch nails industrial or pop" flame war of 1995

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

searching google for things but limiting my results to the ate my balls webring.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Aramis posted:

Even then, the vast majority of that stuff has moved to various Discords by now.

The only thing worse than reddit, ugh. "How do I do Thing X with Software Y and Hardware Z?"

2018: google it, click first link

2024: google that "+ reddit", look through a bunch of reddit threads

soon: join some semi-private discord, wait a day for the invite to go through, ask in chat until someone who knows XYZ is around and has time to answer. your question and the answer disappear into the void.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Klyith posted:

The only thing worse than reddit, ugh. "How do I do Thing X with Software Y and Hardware Z?"

2018: google it, click first link

2024: google that "+ reddit", look through a bunch of reddit threads

you can also go to youtube and sit through 2 minutes of animated logos for a one-person production company and then 5 minutes of a teenager's tedious introduction and over-explanation of Software Y's basic menu systems and a ceremonial unboxing of Hardware Z, until you find maybe seventeen relevant seconds actually explaining how to do Thing X except it turns out it doesnt work with the particular version of the OS you are running

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Yeah. When researching a product the actual internet review sites and tech blogs are utterly useless nowadays.

I was trying to buy a upper-tier robot vacuum and everything is just a litany of paid content, especially on YouTube.

Reddit was the only place to find actual user feedback, and even then these companies have realised this and filled it full of shills. Even then you have to sift and sort through fake content and lovely peoples opinions that aren't helpful.

With the proliferation of AI text generation I feel this is becoming less useful by the day.

beauty queen breakdown
Dec 21, 2010

partially cromulent posting.
"2021's worst kept secret"

would love to compare the quality of discussion between your average SA thread and New York Times first-run articles

^ fixed

RavenousScoot
Mar 22, 2013

Earwicker posted:

you can also go to youtube and sit through 2 minutes of animated logos for a one-person production company and then 5 minutes of a teenager's tedious introduction and over-explanation of Software Y's basic menu systems and a ceremonial unboxing of Hardware Z, until you find maybe seventeen relevant seconds actually explaining how to do Thing X except it turns out it doesnt work with the particular version of the OS you are running

youtube's search is actually somehow worse than googling for youtube videos at this point

like youtube will ignore what you searched for and give you tangenteally related results, then entirely unrelated "suggestions for you," then if you're lucky what you want is several pages down
searching in quotes also outright doesn't even work properly anymore if you know exactly what you want to find

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
gently caress the NYT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

isn't Kevin Roose a known idiot at this point

i wonder how much personal money he's wasted staked on the Reddit IPO lmao