Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

much of reddit is trash but i will say it has replaced the utility i used to get out of tech support forums on official sites. like these days if i need help with something in ableton or some adobe product i am far more likely to find a useful and current answer on reddit than i am on abletons help forum or any adobe site. but again thats not because reddit is particularly good but because the official sources/forums have just become more and more useless and kind of semi-abandoned.

its also good for news/updates about specific bands, the kind of stuff you used to find on fan forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i would like to find a group of likeminded internet historians with whom to re-enact the great rec.music.industrial "is nine inch nails industrial or pop" flame war of 1995

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Klyith posted:

The only thing worse than reddit, ugh. "How do I do Thing X with Software Y and Hardware Z?"

2018: google it, click first link

2024: google that "+ reddit", look through a bunch of reddit threads

you can also go to youtube and sit through 2 minutes of animated logos for a one-person production company and then 5 minutes of a teenager's tedious introduction and over-explanation of Software Y's basic menu systems and a ceremonial unboxing of Hardware Z, until you find maybe seventeen relevant seconds actually explaining how to do Thing X except it turns out it doesnt work with the particular version of the OS you are running

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Revins posted:

I've definitely gotten information about obscure tech stuff from reddit but this is my internet home, posting on reddit would feel like a betrayal

a betrayal of what?

reddit sucks but the traditional "enemies" of SA are fark, maddox, and ebaumsworld

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

portal of evil was a good site back in the day it was like a whole directory of cesspools from all over the web i think thats how i originally came across this place. and stile project. and sean baby. and a bunch of other poo poo