Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Artix posted:

We also get out first bond level with Marth. I won't be calling these out unless we get anything really important from them, which Sword Agility is...not. If I could unequip it, I would, frankly. 10 crit is a steep price to pay for avoid, especially since so many of Marth's other skills boost avoid without the weird drawback.

Good news, you don't actually have it equipped. Only skills listed as "Sync" are automatically equipped as soon as you unlock them. Bad news, this also goes for the other "Avoid +10" skill that doesn't come with drawbacks. The only avoid you should be getting from Marth right now is the Perceptive skill and whatever bonus speed his ring is at.

If the game explains this anywhere, I've missed it, but I'm fairly confident that's the pattern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

This seems pretty neat so far, if admittedly not gonna win any awards for originality. Can you mix and match the emblems as you wish (outside of the affinity abilities)?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Counterpoint: Arts weapons have very cool animations, and Monk is one of the VERY few classes that can use them, so of course you keep Framme around and/or make someone else into one.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Please, that's Pandreo's job. :v:

(I actually used him as a secondary caster, pretty much all of your possible units for arts have garbage strength, so you either have to pump magic twice as hard or send someone unrelated down Master Monk)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Alas, brawling is still paying for its sins in Three Houses.

I really preferred the brute force grappling animations in that game to this game's fancy kung fu style.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Artix posted:

Please, that's Pandreo's job. :v:

(I actually used him as a secondary caster, pretty much all of your possible units for arts have garbage strength, so you either have to pump magic twice as hard or send someone unrelated down Master Monk)

Hey now, there's one major exception to this. :v:

Also, I personally ended up with a fairly blessed Framme, and Chain Guard has some fairly neat uses, so she stuck around.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Framme is one of the best users of a certain emblem we'll see much later on so I always end up using her for the long haul. In the meantime, chain guard does get a bit less relevant the better you are at the game, but that's not something I've ever had to worry about :v:

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Good news, you don't actually have it equipped. Only skills listed as "Sync" are automatically equipped as soon as you unlock them. Bad news, this also goes for the other "Avoid +10" skill that doesn't come with drawbacks. The only avoid you should be getting from Marth right now is the Perceptive skill and whatever bonus speed his ring is at.

If the game explains this anywhere, I've missed it, but I'm fairly confident that's the pattern.

It doesn't really get explained at all, no. The skill system in this game has a bunch of weird caveats like that, it's kind of a mess and is one of the biggest flaws in the game imo.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
the real kicker is how it presents the skills to you as your bond level increases. it really does look like you're obtaining those skills, even if you're not, which is especially confusing since increasing bond level does affect how many stats you get from equipping the emblem ring.

anyway, while i won't cover the specifics, this chapter has a vitally important plot point that is communicated by literally not communicating it to the player, which is kind of insane but also very funny.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I really liked when Fire Emblem introduced class changing. They've always given you characters whose growths don't match their stats (lookin' at you, Moulder) and it's nice that they don't have to be dead weight anymore

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Just making some guesses on who is in each ring
Hero-King was confirmed as Marth.
Holy Knight was confirmed as Sigurd
Sage Lord seems like Robin
the Azure Twins has to be Erika and Ephraim.
Princess Exalt I'm guessing Corrin
Instructor can only be Byleth.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
they don't spoil anything, so i'll let you know that the Princess Exalt is Lucina (since the hereditary monarchs of Ylisse are 'exalts') and the Sage Lord is Leif (heck if i know why).

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

I will say that individually, I actually quite like most of the character designs in the game. Even if they don't actually fit.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

ungulateman posted:

they don't spoil anything, so i'll let you know that the Princess Exalt is Lucina (since the hereditary monarchs of Ylisse are 'exalts') and the Sage Lord is Leif (heck if i know why).

Yeah, Robin wasn't actually a Lord.

As for Leif, it's a reference to his ending in Thracia:

quote:

In the annals of Thracian history, the name of King Leif the Wise, the "Sage-Lord," will echo for eternity...

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

So we're going with negative one battles with dragon mom in the party before the plot comes to kill her. A bold choice.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
She's raising so many death flags, isn't she?

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016
It's bold to make your first Mage have the worst Mag growth but I have no clue why they decided to give him that in the first place.

Anyway, Sigurd is good with just the huge boost to movement alone.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I feel it is presumptious to assume that she's definitely going to die.

She could also merely get terribly injured and be in a coma for most of the game, or otherwise get incapacitated, like someone steals her dragonstone or turns her into a statue. Or maybe she even gets taken captive by the enemy and you have to rescue her before the dark bishop of <insert dragon god here> can complete the unholy ritual sacrifice. That first one already happened to our protagonist!

there's more than one way to skin a mom

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Pyro Jack posted:

It's bold to make your first Mage have the worst Mag growth but I have no clue why they decided to give him that in the first place.

Anyway, Sigurd is good with just the huge boost to movement alone.

We'll talk about this in Chapter 6(?) or so, but the short version is that the first wave of recruits that Engage gives you are almost all what I'm going to affectionately call "project" units. Most of them have some major flaw such that the replacements that we get in the second wave aren't just higher level and more ready to contribute, they're just outright better units, unless you've really committed to giving them levels and emblems. It's sort of similar to Radiant Dawn in that regard? Think of them like the Dawn Brigade.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Artix posted:

We'll talk about this in Chapter 6(?) or so, but the short version is that the first wave of recruits that Engage gives you are almost all what I'm going to affectionately call "project" units. Most of them have some major flaw such that the replacements that we get in the second wave aren't just higher level and more ready to contribute, they're just outright better units, unless you've really committed to giving them levels and emblems. It's sort of similar to Radiant Dawn in that regard? Think of them like the Dawn Brigade.

It also doesn't help that there is at least one future recruit who is custom made for one of the top emblems and it would take an awful lot to justify not using them.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
Imo the second batch of units are project units as well, it takes till half way through the game for the actually good units to show up.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
Are well just forgetting The Best Knight here?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Obligatum VII posted:

Are well just forgetting The Best Knight here?

Wallace isn't in this game

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

You mispelled meg.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Dance Officer posted:

Imo the second batch of units are project units as well, it takes till half way through the game for the actually good units to show up.

This is probably how it should be honestly. If one of your earlygamers is insanely blessed you can keep using them, otherwise the endgame units have a use; if the earlygamers were top tier there would be little point in the later units unless someone got screwed over.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The intended idea of late game additions in FE was that they could be a replacement for units that you've lost in battle.

Of course, everyone reset when they lost a unit, so it just ended up that outside of a few really stacked units like Laguz Royals, most late game units are barely keeping up.

poorlywrittennovel
Oct 9, 2012

I really like how weird Engage can get with it's units. A lot of FE games have the issue of just handing you either the best unit in a class as the first one you get, or giving you no reason to use lategame units. Having some funky growths on the early ones means you may have more reason to shuffle them out as new units come in.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

MarquiseMindfang posted:

This is probably how it should be honestly. If one of your earlygamers is insanely blessed you can keep using them, otherwise the endgame units have a use; if the earlygamers were top tier there would be little point in the later units unless someone got screwed over.

it's basically mathematically impossible for any of your early units to match the midgame unit they're best compared to, and the first few chapters' units don't even compare favourably to the units you get a few chapters later, who are also worse than the midgame units but by a thinner margin. with concerted effort and focus, you can get one (1) of these units enough xp to be comparable but worse than those units when they join you.

this isn't unjustifiable by any means - radiant dawn, fe12 and to a lesser extent binding blade are like this - but the last decade of fire emblem games have made training your units a good use of your time, with the previous game (3h) restructuring the entire narrative and gameplay loop around doing so for your whole army.

it's a very sharp system shock for a lot of players, and it's a bit jarring to me personally given the tone of the game. shouldn't the extra-anime saturday morning sentai cartoon fire emblem game reward the power of friendship and never giving up, rather than [bill wurtz voice] hiring a samurai?

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Wallace isn't in this game

:haibrower:

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
I had to go to the wiki to remember who Sigurd was, and then I was all OH YEAH THAT GUY THAT'S AWESOME HE GOT SUPER MURDERED ONCE

... I am maybe not the most fire emblem-ish.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Either that or you aren't a huge fan of barbecues.

I can't remember if Sigurd got any lines about "whoopsie, I accidentally conquered half the continent in self defense"

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
The early game characters are weird in that they're really not worth using by and large. Like everyone other than Alear here? Framme's the only one who might be good for long-term use, and that's only because she's a zero-investment character who heals you and has her martial blocking move, which is supremely useful for safety margins when pulling bosses. Zero cost, good output.

Hell, there's an example of this on this very first map you use her. The boss has a Riderbane's, so put Vander on the edge of her improved range and Chain Guard him. He does the best counter-attack damage, so he gets a free smite on her face to setup the experience for Alear.

I don't think you get any good characters at all until you leave the initial zone, at the very least.

For reference, I am a Maddening player, where experience is curtailed even harder and someone who doesn't play with DLC. Hence, experience and resources are considerations to be careful with.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

God, I love that Lumera comes over to personally shiv you and beat it into your head that Engages make your units ridiculously strong. :allears:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

And not just that, but she specifically grabbed one that lets her absolutely shank your strongest unit at the time with an effective weapon to really drive the point home.

Thankfully, nobody dies for real in this chapter. she's not a psychotic, deranged, mad woman that would kill without hesitation during a sparring match between friends.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

Materant posted:

God, I love that Lumera comes over to personally shiv you and beat it into your head that Engages make your units ridiculously strong. :allears:

This mission is fantastic for teaching the players to treat the emblem rings highly. Her 'SURPRISE, MOVEMENT' really hammers in home just how much they shift the gameplay.

At least for veterans who already have a good idea of what they're doing. I can imagine that new players can find this jarring.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

So out of curiosity, is this a fight you're allowed to lose? Or is there a different game over variant if you do mess up and get Alear ganked by his mom?

It seems like the kind of thing they might do with how much of this (e.g. surprise movement) is meant to be a wake-up call and catch the player off-guard.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

You still have to win, but this chapter uses Casual death rules regardless of your save file's setting. (i.e. permadeath is turned off for this chapter only)

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
I've never had a Clanne turn out badly, but that's moreso because Engage's mages aren't super fast on average. A Mage Knight is really good to have.

Framme, though, I've never had turn out well. She just... does nothing. Which is fine for a healer I guess but she just has no identity.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Faillen Angel posted:

I've never had a Clanne turn out badly, but that's moreso because Engage's mages aren't super fast on average. A Mage Knight is really good to have.

Framme, though, I've never had turn out well. She just... does nothing. Which is fine for a healer I guess but she just has no identity.

Framme is your primary early healer, plus she's good at stacking avoid and doesn't need a second seal to be in a Ki Adept class when both of those things become relevant for a specific Emblem later on. Even if her stats turn out bad she still maintains a strong use which can't really be said about most of the early joiners who are entirely reliant on hitting growths to outperform the later arrivals.

She's one of the best characters in the game imo especially out of the pre-ch10 group.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Framme's biggest problem is that martial monk does not set her up for success at all later on. She would really prefer to be in a class where she can continue building up her high speed and focus in on one or the other offensive stat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I just kept Framme as a monk and she kicked all kinds of butt.