Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
For me, the plot is at best average and at worst just, insanely stupid with huge problems in cutscene direction undercutting a large portion of what the game attempts. I feel the most damning thing for me is the complete disinterest in Elyos as a setting when there's so much cool stuff that could have been expanded on.

I'm going to be contrarian and say that the gameplay isn't the best because of how badly the lategame map design collapses in on itself and the specific power of one emblem being so utterly polarising that the game for all intents and purposes ends the moment you get it and execute a tremendously basic strategy. (It's still pretty good until chapter 18!)

The DLC actively makes the entire game worse, so I wouldn't recommend it until after you've beaten the game for sure.

That said the music is good, the battle themes in particular are really solid up and down and there's a lot of the visual design in combat that I enjoy.

There's a lot of fun specific stuff to talk about so I look forward to reading through more of this!

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Mar 22, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
So:

Alfred is slow but bulky, which unfortunately means that he's not actually bulky because being doubled is usually more damage than not being doubled.

Etie is a strength archer in a game where strength is irrelevant on archers.

And Boucheron doesn't really have strength or speed so he's kinda here entirely for the provision of earlygame backup.

They'll all get replaced out pretty quickly.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Boucheron is basically coinflip from what I can tell. 40% Str growth and 55% Spd growth means there will be runs where he flops and runs where he's blessed and goes on a killing spree, similar to prior fighters like Vaike.

I'd also say that Engage Maddening runs fixed growths by default. So a lot of the assessment I have comes from a perspective where everyone is completely consistent.

To put it simply, Bouch as a character is at a 20% str / 45% spd growth. You can have a class like fighter *somewhat* patch that, but we'll have characters very soon down the road running 35%/45% or 25%/55% and they'll start out with stronger bases and in better classes as well.

He can be fixed, everyone in Engage can be fixed because the sheer power of the emblems allows for that. But if you're sat here aggressively nerding over how good someone is, then he falls very short.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Nah, Feh has Canto. Rem. which is Canto based on your remaining movement and Canto (x) where you canto based on what x is.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Angelic robe makes the most sense on Chloe. Fliers want HP to handle archer mishaps.

The energy drop should absolutely be saved for the thief we're set to recruit.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Yunaka pretty cleanly beats the later joiner because she gets +2 mov on him for half the game.

Until they both get cleanly beaten by the last dagger user.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I'd also point out that the 0% hit problem doesn't really hurt Yunaka on Maddening because a future refine lets you drop Avo for Crit.

Like having run through the game twice on that difficulty, I do feel she just blows the next thief out the water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Thief Yunaka really easily overcomes this and is a viable to good enemy phaser on Maddening.

My case for this is where I did this with her twice on Maddening where with the right engrave, most enemies will sit at around 5-10% hit chance on a Yunaka Crit chance of 50%+.

Given this is hard, which makes terrain even better she shouldn't need to switch.