Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
You know a game inspires strong feelings when the first page of its LP is entirely filled with takes. :v: But Engage is pretty comfortably my favorite FE, so I'm looking forward to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"A somewhat ridiculous thing happens to set up a cool setpiece or story moment" describes a lot of Engage's story. Whether or not you like the story probably mostly rests on your ability to just roll with it, versus letting the moment get stuck in your teeth.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Boucheron's problem is that all of the axes that really make use of his build are also super expensive in money and/or resources, because they're high-rank weapons. So if you want to use him, you're making investment twice over, especially since other people generally aren't going to want the Boucheron weapons. He's an expensive unit to drop. Meanwhile, speed is surprisingly easy to boost up later with skills, so Etie does fine long-term. Strength or magic are way more problematic to patch.

I think the Lumera death lands kind of BECAUSE it's so soon; Alear's lines are all about how this can't happen when they still don't even really know her. She's dying a stranger to them and they have no idea how to handle that.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

quote:

...Unless they were the MVP of the map, in which case you get a generic "Divine One, did you see how cool I was?" conversation. That's okay, you didn't actually care what they were going to say, did you?

Wasn't there an update that removed/lessened the problem with MVP messages having priority over the incidental post-map dialogue? I think I remember seeing people discuss that as the game was being patched, but I finished my playthroughs before then, so I can't say how much of an effect it had.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

ApplesandOranges posted:

Okay sure Louis charging through a line of enemies is cool, but have you considered.... warp Louis

This is what makes Celica arguably the only Emblem to get worse with Bond levels, at least if you're using her for the Warp more than the Ragnarok. Ragnarok is one of her Engage weapons, and is always used for Warp Ragnarok... But if you don't have it unlocked with Bond levels, then the user will switch back to their normal weapon after the Warp Ragnarok, while a high-Bond user will keep Ragnarok equipped. It's a niche case, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

The "doesn't attack 0 hit" problem is actually the most minor of Yunaka's issues on Maddening. The bigger problems are that Thieves are a one-and-done class that doesn't promote, and that Maddening has decreased EXP gains. It's not that other characters are better than her at comparable levels and classes, it's that they get promotion bonuses and she doesn't, giving them a big and useful sudden boost in power compared to her; the problem isn't the next Thief is better at a comparable level, the problem is that the next Thief with 3+ levels on her is inarguably better.

Like, you can invest in her on Maddening and she can keep up. But she does require investment, and the other Thief is basically equivalent at equal levels, so from an optimization perspective there's no real reason to constrain yourself like that. Just use her when she's useful and move on when you get someone better, same as most of the game's earliest characters--and just like those other characters, if you want to use her you can. You've got the slack to do that, it won't ruin your playthrough or anything.