Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Excited for this! Engage is my second favorite game in the franchise behind RD. It's really great! The game has a ludicrous amount of replayability and so many fun ways that it mixes up your expectations when it comes to map design. The story may be a bit mid, but the VAs give it their all throughout!

buddychrist10 fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Mar 22, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Framme's biggest problem is that martial monk does not set her up for success at all later on. She would really prefer to be in a class where she can continue building up her high speed and focus in on one or the other offensive stat.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Boucheron is a personal favorite of mine. He's got the best in the game growths for HP, Dex and, Build but has the lowest combined strength and magic. Class bases and growths can do a lot of the heavy lifting. He's one of the better options for an early promotion because the promotion to warrior/berserker gives very good bonuses and as a warrior he'll have a ton of options for effective weaponry. Eventually his sub par strength catches up to him but at that point you will have some options to help him out.

Conversely Etie was too frail and Alfred too slow for my liking. Alfred's personal class is just so unspectacular and he's one of the few units to actually get a negative modifier to where his expected stats would be (its in his speed of course).

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Even on maddening Boucheron is solid. He is tied with one other character for best combined build+speed growths. Engage gives enough options that this advantage can keep him relevant the entire game. I would say he's an above average physical unit all told, but with the caveat that most of the best characters in the game are casters or can go either way.

buddychrist10 fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Apr 7, 2024

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

It's the sound he makes when he's eating. It's perfect.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Celine and Chloe are two of the most versatile units in the game. It's not immediately obvious but the same growth percentage in different stats can either be good or bad. For example, a unit with 35% strength growth has above average strength growth, but a 35% speed growth is pretty sluggish. This is partly because class growths skew a little bit more towards providing more strength or magic depending on the class. Celine as a result can hit pretty hard in a more physically focused class or can stick with magic and target foes typically lower magic defense. Chloe will be devastating with magic and magic weapons and can leverage her extremely high speed to be effective in physical classes as well. Really Chloe is in contention for best character in the game.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Marth can feel a little bland compared to some of the other emblems, but he really is quite solid. In particular, the collection of stats he provides is about as good as you could ask for a physical unit. I think he performs very well on Boucheron as Boucheron's higher base strength and backup bonus gives him a really strong Lodestar Rush. He's one of those units that often times needs that extra push to double until his speed growth starts rolling, and he can use two weapon types for break defenses when Engaged.

Sigurd would be a pretty mediocre emblem if it weren't for one skill. It's very easy to overextend with Gallop and Override needs help to kill enemies after the early game. Canter and Canter+ are such game changing skills and open up tremendous flexibility in your strategies. If you have the SP and bond frags, it can be worth it to have it on every member of your primary team. I usually put him on Chloe to start as she appreciates the extra build and damage boost from Momentum.

Celica is one of the weaker emblems but has some handy tricks that emerge later on, especially with Echo. At first glance Resonance seems like an altogether worse skill than the Magic+ equivalent (outside of specific low hp strategies) but there is a difference! In engage there are three major ways to increase the amount of damage you do to an enemy with a weapon or skill. You can increase strength/magic depending on the weapon, you can increase attack, or you can increase damage. Obviously increasing strength or magic is only useful when you're attacking with an appropriate weapon type. Attack bonuses do not care what type of attack you are using and will add to your final magic or physical attack value. However when a skill says that it boosts damage, it is adding the damage after attack - defense calculations have taken place. While the boost from the Magic+ skills can be negated if the enemy has sufficiently high Resistance, Resonance will add 2 true damage (3 with Resonance+) per hit.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
I thought that with FEH they had introduced two separate move after action skills. Canto was the version where you could move the remainder of your movement after acting (so if you had 6 movement and moved 2, you could move 4 spaces after acting.) Canter provided a constant amount of movement after acting.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
The best class in the game is Mage Knight just because of how strong magic gets compared to physical weapons. Most magic classes are pretty slow to make up for the offensive power of higher tier spells. Mage Knight does not have that problem.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Keldulas posted:

I thought Boucheron's default promotion was Warrior so he already has Bow proficiency?

Warrior is one of the default promotion options from Fighter so you can get to it without a second seal, but I believe you still need the bow proficiency. If you don't have any other proficiencies he'll only be able to go to Berserker. I think most base classes have a similar situation where they have a class they can promote to without proficiencies but also have other classes they promote to without needing a second seal if they have proficiencies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Slaan posted:

The levels this time were, uh, levels to be sure

The luck may have been even worse than that. Previous FE games had mechanics where they would reroll empty levels. Engage will reroll both empty levels and 1 stat levels on Random mode I believe up to 3 times. It's possible all those 2 stat levels were rerolled from 1 or 0 stat levels! Fixed mode however is all too happy to give you empty levels. If you really wanted to game the system you could take a character into a class with a few low caps like Berserker or Sage and max those low cap stats out first to give a higher chance at other stats. Kinda like a much worse version of RD's bonus exp.