Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Godspeed, Artix.

Engage is a game I'm never sure what I really feel about. It goes very, very hard for a particular identity, and certainly carves out its own particular niche in the franchise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Three Hopes proved that you can make Byleth an interesting character.

Shame that FE in general doesn't seem to like talking about that game.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Artix posted:

There's also something to be said for how the game treats Alear himself - characters are deferential and overly polite, sometimes to an obnoxious degree, but it's important to note that for the majority of folks that we meet in the game, they quite literally worship him. God is not only real, he is standing in front of you, and he wants your help to murder that man on the other side of the battlefield.

It's an interesting evolution. These kinds of characters have always hung around Fire Emblem, starting with Tiki, and Three Houses went so far as to make the protagonist an unwitting reincarnation of a goddess, but Engage is where they flat out made the PC into the setting's Sword Dragon Jesus and made it a major plot point that most of the cast literally pray to them.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Alas, brawling is still paying for its sins in Three Houses.

I really preferred the brute force grappling animations in that game to this game's fancy kung fu style.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Fortunately, some Emblems in this game are so powerful that if there's a character you particularly like, they can carry their own weight regardless of their stats simply by being an Emblem caddy. It's how I kept Vander useful throughout the game in my last play.

Engage gives you a shitload of resources to invest in characters as you see fit, and it's mostly a question of how much you want to invest in a given character to make them useful.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Fajita Queen posted:

The death scene is well done in theory but really does not work at all in the context it's given in, because it's so abrupt. You aren't given enough time to care about her enough to justify what is intended to be a huge emotional moment imo.

This is my feeling. Yeah everyone sells it pretty well, but the player has only known Lumera for about ten minutes and if you're familiar with the narratives common to the genre, at least in my case I actively declined to get invested in what little I saw of her because it was so obvious that she was going to die for cheap emotional points.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Etie at least has the fact going for her that her cheese grater abs (not particularly visible during normal gameplay) are matched by a decent STR growth, unlike Rinkah from Fates.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Celine does have a niche, and it's that it's possible to get a levin sword very early in the game, which she's perfectly built to use. It's not enough to carry her long-term, but it gives her a big power spike right at the start of the game.

She also does respectably as a monk, with her balanced offensive growths, but you unfortunately aren't able to make more monks for a very, very long time.

And Chloe in my experience is never not a monster in human form.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Faillen Angel posted:

As soon as Warp Ragnarok stops being able to outright one-shot things, it's just a tool for putting yourself into very bad situations.

Personally I find it very useful as a repositioning skill that happens to require an enemy to work. Self-warp can be a very powerful trick, completely leaving aside the attack, especially if you put Celica on someone with staves.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

weso12 posted:

I assume from a lore standpoint, they wanted an upcoming female character to be the heir apparent over her brother and wanted to signal that since it's not immediately obvious, but then again Ylisse in Awakening seems to definitely have absolute primogeniture (no gender preference since emmeryn was queen over her younger brother).

And further muddying the waters is that in some real life instances, a reigning female monarch took the title of 'king' to emphasize that she's the one in charge, the best known example probably being King Jadwiga of Poland.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Ah, Jean. This was the first anything I ever saw of Engage. Spoilers because of future characters in the UI.

https://twitter.com/tray790x/status/1616594121015033856

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Energy Drop to Chloe

Angelic Robe to Alear

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
One other important detail about Micaiah: she's your only source of knife access for quite some time, so if you really want to second seal someone into a thief, or promote into one of the new classes that use knives early on, they'll have to spend time with Micaiah, even if she's not optimal for that role.

:siren: UPDATE AT BOTTOM OF PREVIOUS PAGE :siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Yeah, but IIRC you don't get Leif for a while yet in the story.