Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Solidly in camp "Engage Good." The plot's not much, but there are some scenes and characters I really adore.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Mar 25, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
wait where are you seeing marital imagery in the Engage mechanic?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Artix posted:

We also get out first bond level with Marth. I won't be calling these out unless we get anything really important from them, which Sword Agility is...not. If I could unequip it, I would, frankly. 10 crit is a steep price to pay for avoid, especially since so many of Marth's other skills boost avoid without the weird drawback.

Good news, you don't actually have it equipped. Only skills listed as "Sync" are automatically equipped as soon as you unlock them. Bad news, this also goes for the other "Avoid +10" skill that doesn't come with drawbacks. The only avoid you should be getting from Marth right now is the Perceptive skill and whatever bonus speed his ring is at.

If the game explains this anywhere, I've missed it, but I'm fairly confident that's the pattern.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I feel it is presumptious to assume that she's definitely going to die.

She could also merely get terribly injured and be in a coma for most of the game, or otherwise get incapacitated, like someone steals her dragonstone or turns her into a statue. Or maybe she even gets taken captive by the enemy and you have to rescue her before the dark bishop of <insert dragon god here> can complete the unholy ritual sacrifice. That first one already happened to our protagonist!

there's more than one way to skin a mom

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I just kept Framme as a monk and she kicked all kinds of butt.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I know literally everyone saw this coming, but I gotta admit, this scene did touch me. Alear's voice actors (both versions) absolutely knock it out of the park.

You really should click the video link if you haven't seen the scene in action.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
They patched it so conversations now cycle. If the character has some kind of battle comment, they'll still say that first, but you can talk to them a second time to get their chapter-specific dialogue, so you can always get the line from every character you fielded.

I think it was in the first major patch, people were real steamed about it.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

weso12 posted:

I get it's probably a realish term but for some reason that's probably tied into deepseeded sexism the term "Queendom" isn't something I can take super seriously.

i immediately noticed that Firene is described as a kingdom despite its current monarch being a queen, so the fact that Solm isn't just another Kingdom is a deliberate choice. I forget if the game ever elaborates on that, though.

Also Céline's greatest power is having a ridiculous outfit and you should never reclass her for something as measly as strict mechanical superiority.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I like Marth on Framme, since between scrolls, Break Defenses and Divine Speed, she can get out a stupid amount of attacks. If she's got enough attack to do an appreciable amount of damage, she will blender whatever you point her at. It's not the most optimal use of him I'm sure, but it's hella fun.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yeah, that's how the story works, might as well try to get used to it.

At least it goes both ways, the villains have a hostage when you show up, she gets "taken away" before the battle, and is safe and unharmed when it clears up.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The thing that makes Yunaka my preferred thief (other than the character, obviously), is that while her strength is merely passable and she needs forged knives to reliably do one-round kills, she gets that and decent HP and a shitton of resistance. The hard counter to Covert units and their unlimited dodge is that Mystical units get a class trait that lets them ignore terrain bonuses, which makes them a threat to any thief that isn't Yunaka or I guess if you reclassed someone like Céline.

girl is an absolutely unkillable menace so long as you can get her on some defensive terrain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
i am straight up agog at the idea of ever benching or reclassing Céline

sure, other characters and classes have things like "viability" or "stats" or whatever, but no one and nothing can bring to the table what Céline and her base class does, wading into battle in a giant poofy impractical dress