Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Engage's writing is very swingy for me. It's really good and hilarious when it hits, and just painfully, eye rolling, terrible when it doesn't. There's just no middle ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Better than fates is such a comically low bar to clear you can do so and still be actively terrible.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Shez for pres.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I've got to love how everyone is gung ho to go fight some monsters with their god, and then Alear has a shocking moment of comment sense and says to leg it.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

It's a ring, and the summons are strengthened by your bond with the person involved.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

You mispelled meg.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Either that or you aren't a huge fan of barbecues.

I can't remember if Sigurd got any lines about "whoopsie, I accidentally conquered half the continent in self defense"

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

And not just that, but she specifically grabbed one that lets her absolutely shank your strongest unit at the time with an effective weapon to really drive the point home.

Thankfully, nobody dies for real in this chapter. she's not a psychotic, deranged, mad woman that would kill without hesitation during a sparring match between friends.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

What made Boucheron work for me was turning an early handaxe to a tomahawk and tossing it on him. His ability to one shot stuff without getting hit back kept him rolling in the exp for a long while, and he easily hit the point where I stopped having to trade away from it after attacking because it tanked his speed. It was a pretty big investment early, but it was all he needed to dominate 2/3 of the game before falling off at the end.

It's kind of funny seeing so many people talk about how weak he is when he dominated so hard for me. And it was fixed growths, so it's not like he got blessed or anything.

Which I guess really goes to show just how powerful emblems and gear are in engage, because who gets the shiny toys at key points drastically alters their performance in a way unseen since the holy weapons in geneology.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Well that was quick and entirely expected

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I think the common jeigan comparison for celica is pretty apt. She's really strong when you first get her, but her role later in the game has fallen off hard, where very few magic units can survive warping off on their own, the warp doesn't kill, and enemies are chunky enough that her other talents don't get to shine as much either.

I'd definitely put her above Leif because she has that early game utility, though.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

CullenDaGaDee posted:

I have to imagine it’s a very small number of players that didn’t immediately put the shades on Sommie when they first got the chance to.

To be fair, the top hat is also an excellent showing, and you can't have both. The meta for dress up sommie is deep and varied. I found myself messing with its costume constantly.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

At this point, the image of armies of singing calvary has had a room in my memory for so long that trying to fix the mistake is offensive

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Please. Zephia has a cool hat. Everyone knows people with cool hats are safe from death.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

The most important thing is to make Jean a physical class. That way, he can return home as a first-rate doctor. His specialty?

Surgery :black101:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Wyvern is actually quite weak in this game because every character that doesn't get the special model reminds me that their dragon could have my boy's special model, but they don't.

And that makes me sad.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Make a man outa Vander Let's see if we can even keep him usable by throwing all the good stuff to him

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

mycatscrimes posted:

It's kind of fun though, in a challenge-mode kind of way. I look forward to my designated 3 skirmishes per game on maddening as a way to test my team+ my ability to get the most out of my emblems, especially crowd-control wise.

Also I think people way overstate the effects of the ai not attacking 0 damage and unhittable units, it's really easy to circumvent and still enemy phase guys. I also prefer Yunaka's native crit bonus over Zelkov's personal. Of course my personal favorite knife user is Merrin.

I'm also confused as to why that's always stated to be a bad thing. A portable wall tile that can not only create narrower choke points to funnel enemies down(or just close a 1 tile choke off completely), but also gets to toss a couple knives to maim or kill an enemy on player phase? Sign me up, please!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Einander posted:

The "doesn't attack 0 hit" problem is actually the most minor of Yunaka's issues on Maddening. The bigger problems are that Thieves are a one-and-done class that doesn't promote, and that Maddening has decreased EXP gains. It's not that other characters are better than her at comparable levels and classes, it's that they get promotion bonuses and she doesn't, giving them a big and useful sudden boost in power compared to her; the problem isn't the next Thief is better at a comparable level, the problem is that the next Thief with 3+ levels on her is inarguably better.

Like, you can invest in her on Maddening and she can keep up. But she does require investment, and the other Thief is basically equivalent at equal levels, so from an optimization perspective there's no real reason to constrain yourself like that. Just use her when she's useful and move on when you get someone better, same as most of the game's earliest characters--and just like those other characters, if you want to use her you can. You've got the slack to do that, it won't ruin your playthrough or anything.

You are forgetting the most important optimizations. If you bench her for the other thief or the third knife wielder you leave your team desperately short on "Zappy" energy and find yourself without a "Hiya, papaya" in sight. This leaves your team under performing to a depressing degree.

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 04:39 on May 8, 2024

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Materant posted:

As an extra bonus, even once Yunaka eventually leaves Thief behind (if you want to keep her viable for the game's duration, it's inevitable), her personal skill will never stop being relevant. +15 Crit just for playing smart is something a lot of units in this game would kill for.

It is? She worked just fine in thief for me on maddening. But yes, her personal works very well with the rest of her kit.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Yeah, the extra avoid from being covert is easily worth a handful of stat points. Every knife using class has a solid niche that is incredibly powerful due to the strength of forged knives

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I swear, it's like some people pick their units based off of stats instead of just arbitrarily grabbing people based off of feels and dragging them to endgame come hell or high water

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

There's no need to come for my husband Wallace like that. He'd fight you if he had more than 14 strength

Like 14 strength would stop Wallace.

Although he'd totally get lost along the way and instead wind up single handedly exterminating the local bandit squad down to their last man.