Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I liked 17 fine, its a perfectly good Modern Emblem game, and I think it's silly to hate on it for being a cheesy story when thats the majority of fire emblem games. But I just want good strategic gameplay again, up till 15 there was a bit of charm to the experiments and unit buffs that completely shattered the strategic aspects of the series, but with 16 and 17 here, you basically just start clicking auto and watching the game play itself since theres really nothing for you to manage in battles past the halfway mark barring maybe a boss. And while I liked the 1 big monastery visit, the dozens of smaller Somniel and battlefield visits quickly started wearing on my patience.

Also would it kill them to bring back the Bond Drop so people dont have to grind over 100 hours to see all the supports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Can't you level infinitely in this game till every stat hits the cap by switching classes, like awakening? Doesn't that essentially invalidate this kind of discussion since Modern Emblem heavily incentivises using everyone equally for the sake of supports and the like?

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

ungulateman posted:

most people don't level their characters infinitely until every stat hits the cap, and most of the games in the series outright forbid it. people usually talk about units in the context of 'efficiency', which is a very nebulous term that has been argued over a lot, but it usually includes the following:

- you try and complete chapters in as few turns as is reasonable. this is the most complicated one because LTC (low turn count, aka completing the game in as few turns as possible) is another common point of discussion, but most people play at a more relaxed pace than LTC. this mostly means 'don't stand around wasting time to squeeze out every last drip of xp etc'.

- you don't grind in skirmish maps. the ability for any unit to infinitely grind skirmishes would indeed invalidate the discussion, so the terms of the discussion exclude this so that the discussion can happen. it's also a consequence of the above rule, because skirmishes necessarily mean taking more turns. this dates all the way back to The Sacred Stones, where the various mediocre trainee units could all go to the Tower of Valni to catch up with your other units, but you could also just send your other units into the Tower of Valni too. for unit comparisons to make any sense at all, you need either no grinding or infinite grinding, and no grinding is closer to the 'normal' gameplay experience for nearly everyone.

- units are judged in their context. this is especially critical in Fire Emblem Engage, because every unit in the game is really good if they have the right Emblem Ring, but only one unit can have an Emblem Ring at a time. If unit A is pretty good with Emblem X but unit B basically solos the game with Emblem X, that's taken into consideration when comparing unit A and B. and if unit A doesn't benefit from Emblem Y but unit B is still a really good unit with Emblem Y - so on and so forth. this also applies to stat boosters, weapon forging, and getting the exp needed to level up, though those resources are varyingly less contested.

again, all of this has been argued to death because defining the criteria can get very complicated.

the games themselves have had varying attempts at encouraging or obliging 'efficiency', usually by spawning a giant wall of enemies that you're not supposed to kill behind you when you start fighting the boss of a Kill Boss map. the hardest difficulties of the games released in the last decade have also had a variety of mechanics designed to make these weird grinding loopholes harder or impossible, usually by limiting how much exp or other resources you can gain by fighting any given enemy. it's a fair indicator that the designers don't think you should be grinding until you cap every stat.

Yeah obviously no one should choose to grind like that, my point was just that, unlike Classic Emblem, theres no limits in Modern Emblem, so the intended way to play is basically do side stuff a bit to keep everyone relevant. Especially for the 2 that feature child units, since you'd only really get them in post game playing normally. And for the rest of it, I just kinda assumed trying to play Modern Emblem like Classic Emblem was insane in a way no one would do, but it seems to be pretty common around here.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

weso12 posted:

I mean i think awakening (and fates except Revelations, though I don't fates revelation is THAT impossible to do that way) it's not THAT hard to get all the child characters without using skrmishes on the "reasonably balanced" difficultly levels (especially since the paralogues give you more opporunties to raise support levels and stuff). Awakening Kids having stats based on their parents and promotion level ready creates something of a "catch up mechanic" and fates has the kids catch up mechanics built.

On an asside, I will say I on some level miss old school "characters you have to work for" in FE, very few characters are truly easy to miss since like awakening, my best guess for this is more along the lines of "We paid for voice actors, more distinict face models and like a bunch of base mechanics and dialogue just for them, we're not gonna deny players those characters jsut because they didn't stand on a specific tile with Lethe or Mordecai", I wouldn't be suprised if a theorticasl FE4 remake just outright removes the substitues since having functionally two different versions of most gen 2 characters that require different voice acting and models (and at least one case a female version of a class that does not appear with any other playable character or major NPC (Forest)) when the majority of players will only see one and will infact will try to avoid see the others. (I'm guessing they will just make the Gen 1 women retreat ala Awakening and say they marry generic guys who don't matter (Heck Nanna and Delmudd's father could be Eve if Lachesis is unpaired as a reference to the most obscure fact about janne and Tristan) and like if they didn't properly join (for Ayra or Erinys) just don't it explain or just slap a one line of dialogue for that scenerio, demands of accounting outweight the demands of the plot)

Man that sounds reasonable and likely, but it's also sad. All of my knowledge of them comes from the wiki since I only played 4 once, but the substitutes seem to have a decent enough amount of personality to them I'd love to see them shine in a remake too.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Boucheron has the best supports in the game so he's my favorite character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Keldulas posted:

The thing that bothers me about the support conversations (well, more than the writing, which is a pretty big strike on the majority of them), is that they're wearing their initial battle clothes in it. Most of the conversations are in the Somniel or in a village or something, and you have these comfortable casual outfits you designed, maybe use them in the downtime supports?

I think there are SOME good supports, but you can write off anything that is an Alear support for sure. Also write off anyone whose entire personality is worshipping Alear (hello, Christmas twins).

Framme and Boucheron have the best support line in the entire game?