Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Engage’s combat is spectacular and some of the best in the franchise. The plot is dumb as bricks while also being fairly boring. Still a pretty high up game for the franchise though as the gameplay and combat are the most important things to get right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

MythosDragon posted:

Can't you level infinitely in this game till every stat hits the cap by switching classes, like awakening? Doesn't that essentially invalidate this kind of discussion since Modern Emblem heavily incentivises using everyone equally for the sake of supports and the like?

Modern Fire Emblem absolutely does not encourage using everyone equally unless you’re insane, playing on a low difficulty, or not engaging with the game and just grinding nonstop instead on lower difficulties.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah Clanne is the only one of the starters I’d call outright bad. Vander serves his purpose on Maddening and helps take hits and get you through the first few stages, and Framme is staff utility when nobody else can do it. Staffs in Engage are the strongest they’ve been since Thracia and are worth a shitload of credit.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Etie is pretty funny to use and her growths are a bit misleading since all that matters is she is hit something reliably really hard, but she’s not good. Alfred is also really bad and just struggles to do anything meaningful even if you invest in him. Boucheron is actually quite reliable at his job because Backup is so good and he’s probably the best of these three goobers.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Celica is an incredible emblem early that falls off a cliff later, but it is a huge deal in the early game which makes it still good. Louis falls off as well later in the game and I’ve basically never taken him past the halfway point, but by god will he carry you there if you want.

Chloe is one of the best units in the game and if you’re going to invest serious exp or resources in any of the early game goobers she’s probably got the absolute best claim to it.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Warrior is easily one of the best classes in the game, maybe even top dog.

Berserker is unfortunately an awful class and while you can still make it work there's basically zero upside to using it over Warrior, it's probably the worst Berserker has been in a long time.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

NyoroEevee posted:

Chloé's birthday was last Saturday. With that in mind, I say give her Both Boosts.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

The second thief is weird in that while I think he’s on paper better than Yunaka, he comes when you’ve got a lot of good units. Yunaka doesn’t, so it’s easy to add her to the list of people who deserve to actually get resources.

The second thief also really doesn’t want to be a thief as it wastes his Build, so he spends a lot of time durdling around to try and class change into an advanced class.

The third knife user completely blows Yunaka out of the water though and is one of the most powerful units in the game.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Thief denying you promotion bonuses is a big problem and it doesn't really offer much of value to compensate for it.

You can still make it work with effort but you really don't want to stick with it. It's useful early on when forged knives are nuts and Yunaka can still get a niche killing magic users later on, but there's no real point to keep her in thief unless you like Thief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Anna's fun, but I am eternally grumpy I screwed myself by second sealing her on my first playthrough before I promoted her so she lagged behind really hard for a long time.