Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
Honestly I loved most of Engage's writing. Some of the lategame stuff definitely needed a second draft, but it never leaves me unsure about what the game feels about the topics it covers, which I cannot say about any Fire Emblem in the last ten years.

And the gameplay? Engage was my GOTY for 2023. Peak Fire Emblem, and it would take a miracle to top it knowing how quickly IS will throw out ideas.

Fixed mode is... actually not like FE9's. It just forces averages, no weird EV micromanaging systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
Alear at their best feels like a pastiche of Corrin, where their informed rightness is simultaneously justified and also riffed on. It's kind of funny, though most of the better content is in supports.

I think Vander is like, 15/0 internally, so his EXP gain is atrocious even by Jagen standards; you can feed Seth bosses, but Vander basically requires specialized care to make work.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
I've never had a Clanne turn out badly, but that's moreso because Engage's mages aren't super fast on average. A Mage Knight is really good to have.

Framme, though, I've never had turn out well. She just... does nothing. Which is fine for a healer I guess but she just has no identity.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018

MythosDragon posted:

Can't you level infinitely in this game till every stat hits the cap by switching classes, like awakening? Doesn't that essentially invalidate this kind of discussion since Modern Emblem heavily incentivises using everyone equally for the sake of supports and the like?

Supports are pretty disincentivized in this game since the primary way of gaining support levels requires pretty specific positioning. Grinding also scales to your progress level and not the original map, which means grinding is as much of a risk as continuing to play the game.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
Etie is sort of like Clanne in reverse. Your other native archers are better in a lot of ways, but they're often lacking for strength; the one most people swear by ends up at like, 16 str at 10/20 in fixed mode. Etie is kind of second seal bait because she really wants to be a Warrior, but in that role she functions; having a fat longbow is all you NEED, really.

Alfred has the best growth total in the game, but his bases are bad even for an earlygame unit. You wouldn't expect a unit with a 50% speed growth when promoted to be slow but he's DIRE, and the worst victim of build being a serious problem in this game.

Boucheron, on the other hand, is singlehandedly justified by not falling into that trap. Man's got build for days. He can swing around the heaviest weapons unencumbered with AS to spare. What a guy. What a funny guy.

As for plot, uh.... yeah. Silly, but it's at least sold by Alear putting everything into their tears. Especially Laura Stahl.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018

Lord Koth posted:

Alfred doesn't have close to the highest growth total in the game. Hell, Alear's got a higher growth total and they're nowhere near the top either. As a wry addition though, he does have the same STR growth as Etie, without sacrificing everything else.

My bad, I meant in his unique promoted class. I'm still wrong, mind, but he's still very close to the top; matched by three, and beaten by three (technically four but the fourth doesn't count.) The class itself also has the highest growth total.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
The fact that most of the cast's casual clothes are like, modern casual wear gives this super funny vibe of a modern world just acting as if they're in the past. It's fun.

Marth can salvage basically any bad unit singlehandedly, but that also makes his absence super felt; taking him off of Alear will make them feel worse. Which is actually super cool, but I'll save my thesis on Engage's focus on decisions for later.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
Marf :3

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
Celine has two very odd niches. Her promoted class is one of two mages with a proc skill, with the other one being pretty... not good. It's also the only Mystical class with Swords, which means she can use Lodestar Rush with Greatswords to annihilate anything she looks at. Neither of these are outstanding, but they're things for her to do. Celine!Lord just has pretty poor class growths overall; she's more consistent as either Sage or a phys class, though I tend to get lucky with her.

Chloe and Louis are both monstrous right out of the gate, though as mentioned Chloe will want to go Sword Falcon over Lance Falcon.

Celica is... probably the worst emblem in the game. That's contentious because Emblem Leif is extremely player-hostile, but Celica is just in the wrong game. As soon as Warp Ragnarok stops being able to outright one-shot things, it's just a tool for putting yourself into very bad situations. Seraphim is her saving grace, since unlike Awakening where "effective against Risen" only meant Entombed and Revenants, "effective against Corrupted" means literally any Corrupted enemy.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I remember thinking it would be nice if any units in this game had any bloody build

This is why I champion Clanne unironically; his entire build being focused on Mage Knight, which is +3 build and also a skill that gives speed, means he can hold heavy weapons with little to no penalty.

Also Bouch. Gotta love the Bouch.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
The fact that they finally worked out that loving abominable translation that was "Canto" into something that at least begins to make sense in "Canter" after fifteen goddamn years automatically redeems Treehouse of any and all misdeeds.

Speaking of, the fact that it just adds a set movement instead of being based on remaining movement fucks with me, but it's a pretty nice utility to have if you remember how it works.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
I would hazard a guess that the arena does a win/lose check before deciding who you fight, and gives them appropriate gear to force that result.

Vander has some of my favorite supports in the game, honestly, because he's old enough to be world-wise but not so old that he's inflexible. In a game with worse characters he'd flip out at any insubordination and learning to compromise would be his character beat, but he's just a very understanding guy.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
Chloe is the safe pick.

Which means we should be going ALL IN ON VANDER BABY

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
Micaiah is, IMO, a top 1 emblem. Her only weakness is that her combat is only okay, but it's not even actively bad. This game is second only to Thracia for "insane things you can do with staves."

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018

Cloacamazing! posted:

I think skirmishes (and the DLC maps) actually use some different formula to calculate difficulty, because after early promoting my Alear, suddenly everything was level 20 and capable of killing poor Louis with physical attacks. Had to have either been the early promotion or the DLC giving you a bunch of level 20 characters.

(Also, I highly recommend doing the story DLC, the story is so bad.)

Doing the DLC early sets your ILV to 20/1. You are actively punished for it.

It's kind of funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
There's one other thing that makes Micaiah stealth-even-more-broken: When you overlap with the augmented staff AOE for a heal staff, you can heal yourself, too. Unlike normal healing, or even Great Sacrifice, this experience never falls off. You can routinely get ~30 XP per heal with this, even on a unit like Vander, and this is the way to make him useful long term.

The Great Sacrifice Armor bonus seems useless, but it does mean that everyone on the map will get targeted, even if they don't need a heal. You can't spam this, though, since it won't apply to anyone who hasn't chewed through their +1 Def.