Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
I think the big thing Clanne has going for him is that mages are very good early game and he doesn’t have too much competition for a decent bit. If he gets lucky with his growths, you can stick with him, but there’s a lot of good mages in the back half of the game so he’s easy to replace if he peters out. I honestly never really entertained the idea of reclassing him into a physical class because there is a far greater number of units that blow him out of the water on that front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I do like how the early game maps of Engage actually do test your battle sense a little, the very early chapters of FE games can all too often be formality tutorial maps, even on the harder difficulties.

I've never been able to get Boucheron going, he has just the wrong bases and just the wrong class for me to ever want to explore his full capabilities. Huge fan of Etie though, she was my preferred anti-air. Alfred is good early game but boy he does he plateau hard and get overshadowed by later joining mounts. He's far from useless but he was one of my early game heroes who ended up getting benched when he just couldn't secure those 1-round kills anymore.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

If Lumera had about 6 chapters to establish herself and maybe was a cool ally unit in a single chapter, the death would have landed better. As it is, it’s just going through the motions in a bid for pathos.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

Etie is my personal favorite of these three just because she has something she is complacently good at and as a ranged attacker her flaws are easy to work around with good tactics. That said, when it comes to physical ranged attackers, there’s a certain Papaya lover who joins not too long from now that really puts her to shame. Still fun to try and make work though, and she’ll always be able to delete pegasus knights.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

It’s a bit tough to judge some of these units in the context of the whole game because class has a much larger impact on your growths in Engage compared to the minor bonuses they gave in 3 Houses. Clanne and Boucheron can probably wildly swing in usefullness with a Second Seal, but whether or not they’re worth that in the early game is up to the individual player. There’s enough flexibility on Normal and Hard to clown around with the more abundant resources late game, but Maddening can pretty heavily damper the potential of the starter crew.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I like to use Clanne because he tries his hardest.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I find myself at an interesting conundrum for discussing this game with an ongoing LP. There is actually a lot of interesting things to say about it, but I don't even want to risk spoiling characters and mechanics before they pop up. Good way to keep engagement I suppose, if you'll forgive the pun.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

It's hard to argue against Marf :3.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

Louis and Chole are aces, they join strong and stay strong. I am glad Armor Knights in this game are genuinely good at their role, and with Emblem Rings like Sigurd you can easily fix their wack movement. Everyone else having nerfed Move in this game though does help them out a bit.

Just out of curiosity, do you plan to do any major reclassing or do you want each unit to try and stick to their designated role?

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

Timerra will is the ultimate form-over-function pick for me in Fire Emblem and I'd have a hard time convincing myself not to use her in spite of everything working against her.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I have to imagine it’s a very small number of players that didn’t immediately put the shades on Sommie when they first got the chance to.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I was really glad when game updates made it so you could unload your trash in the well for decent odds at getting extra SP scrolls in return. Certain skills like Canter just being too good made it really frustrating at how limited your ability to get SP independent of gains alongside EXP, as there are a lot of skills I'd like to buy but you can't overinvest lest you screw yourself out of better skills later on.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

They should add Kanto, a skill that allows you to capture Corrupted and unleash them as your own monsters in battle.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I'll admit pre-existing bias and lack of understanding of the Engage system caused me to really underrate Louis on my first playthrough. Dude is an absolute monster with the Sigurd ring and does everything Vander wishes he could do. I need to try and use Framme seriously sometime, she's always had really explosive levels for me.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

Jean really benefits from being a Martial Monk to start. Staff exp is really good in this game and the only other dedicated healer you have is Framme, so he’ll always have something to do with staff botting and chain guarding to move himself forward. Plus if you want you have the arena to nickel and dime him forward between chapters, assuming you don’t want to do skirmishes.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

It a’int Fire Emblem without child soldiers in the roster.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I know Berserker is another popular pick for Jean, and it's pretty funny to turn this scrawny kid into a beef skyscraper in terms of stats.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I found the class balance to be pretty decent in this game, though obviously stuff like Wyverns and Warriors bring a bit more to the table and a team can arguably suffer for not having at least one of them.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

Both should go to Clanne.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I know the second theif to join does pretty much just have flatly better stats, but Knife wielding classes are just generically good in this game due to how border-line broken knives are. Unless Yunaka gets totally stat hosed on her level ups, I think it’s a pretty good idea to just use both of them. Also she’s just a fun character so there’s that going for her.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

It's kind of funny, skirmishes are very simplistic in terms of tactics since all enemies in them just collapse onto your team's position. They can be absolute hell to get through without deaths though, since all the enemies scale to your best units and this consequently makes the non-training battles horrible for bringing people up to speed on Classic mode.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

Yunaka, and pretty much every unit up until Chapter 11, do have a major thing going for them regarding skills and Emblem rings but it is a bit of a spoiler to go into detail on it.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

Hope you were planning on using Yunaka because the decision is rapidly leaving your hands.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

For what it’s worth, just because other knife users exist, it doesn’t really mean Yunaka is in competition with them. If something is good, you can’t really go wrong with having more of it on your team. This game is pretty generous with the deployment slots on most maps so you likely will have multiples of the same type of unit regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

To me, the extreme randomness of how units can turn out is part of the fun of Fire Emblem. No one playthrough is ever going to be exactly the same as another, and it can lead to some interesting things happening with your line up. Part of the reason I have a fondness for Clanne is because both times I played through Engage, I had extremely good luck with his level ups and he just ended up as an uber mage both times. This is far away from a guarantee, but the fact that it can happen is beautiful.