Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Magil Zeal posted:

I agree that changing the midboss music takes a bit away from hearing Insatiable at the end of the dungeon. I actually liked the earlier take better. Still, Holminster Switch has imo some of the best ambience/atmosphere of any XIV dungeon, especially of those up to this point.

I agree. Maybe Shadowbringers could've used some new generic mini-boss music made specifically for the expac, but I was hardly fighting most first/second bosses and thinking "Man, this fight really needs a more bombastic soundtrack." Usually the first bosses are just random, throwaway enemies!

Granted, Tesleen probably could've been the final dungeon boss were it not for the more narratively important Lightwarden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Sanguinia - while this may be a bit on the excessive side, if you want to minimize story/cutscene dissonance, you can time your dungeon runs so that the runs always end during an Eorzean night cycle.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I agree. Maybe Shadowbringers could've used some new generic mini-boss music made specifically for the expac, but I was hardly fighting most first/second bosses and thinking "Man, this fight really needs a more bombastic soundtrack." Usually the first bosses are just random, throwaway enemies!

Granted, Tesleen probably could've been the final dungeon boss were it not for the more narratively important Lightwarden.

i think Tesleen works better as boss 2

this is not a big deal. this happens all the goddamned time. it will continue to happen all the goddamned time. odds are very good indeed that every one of the bigger Eaters is someone who was ungently welcomed into the fold, unsuccessfully fighting it every step of the way. this is just the one you happen to know about. you get one sentence's worth of closure, because there is so much more awfulness going on.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Mordiceius posted:

Sanguinia - while this may be a bit on the excessive side, if you want to minimize story/cutscene dissonance, you can time your dungeon runs so that the runs always end during an Eorzean night cycle.

Counterpoint: The dissonance can be really funny. Lyra staring at the sun because she doesn't know what it is cracked me the hell up.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The characters remarking how beautiful the sky is gets even funnier when it's pouring rain

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The other fun thing about bringing night back to Lakeland: it's got a pretty nice nighttime music theme! More somber than Crystarium's, but it's a very chill piano piece.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Killing the lightwarden and then realising that there's a big fish which only shows up during the day

(I don't actually know if there are any fish which are easier to catch during Everlasting Light, I assume not or people would complain)

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Thundarr posted:

The other fun thing about bringing night back to Lakeland: it's got a pretty nice nighttime music theme! More somber than Crystarium's, but it's a very chill piano piece.

This track is actually my favorite one in the expansion, and hearing it after dungeon made me very wistful in a good way.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
I mentioned wanting to wait until after the dungeon to talk about my preference between starting ShB by visiting Kholusia vs Amh Araeng first. My choice was AA first because Alisaie is my favorite between the twins, and afterward I felt like I would have preferred going to Kholusia first because I would have preferred going straight from AA into the dungeon. After seeing what a powerful sin eater could do, I was ready to go straight into fighting the sin eater that transformed Tesleen and whatever else they'd throw at me.

After reading through the LP, I've come around on AA first. You get some time to breathe after the Tesleen transformation scene, and then you get to see sin eaters being subdued in Eulmore + are introduced to the human horrors on the First. It also gives some in-universe time for Dissonance and Tesleen to fly back to Philia and for them to form up to attack Holminster Switch.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Qwertycoatl posted:

Killing the lightwarden and then realising that there's a big fish which only shows up during the day

(I don't actually know if there are any fish which are easier to catch during Everlasting Light, I assume not or people would complain)

This is not really a spoiler anymore but any "fake" weather such as everlasting light or some other forced weathers are functionally a graphical overlay and do not affect anything related to real weather.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3
Holminster Switch remains pretty brutal for healers to this day. Love the dungeon theme, it's one of my absolute favorites in an expansion full of incredible music.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
I feel that Tesleen works best as a second boss instead of the final one, because it helps emphasis how utterly abysmal the world is at the moment. In any other game they would have made it a gigantic plot point of you having to track down and put this person out of their misery... but in the First, this story is so /horrifically/ common place that it barely registers to the people living in it, and this character you care about being little more than a speedbump boss helps push that narrative.

On the First, this is just how life is, and there's nothing you can really do about it other than push down the pain and trauma, gird your loins, and press on to the next objective.

No time for closure.

No opportunity to grief for the fallen.

Just close your eyes, take a deep breath, and soldier on.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Zomborgon posted:

Oh, and I do quite like the lyrics for Insatiable, a short section of the main theme. It's a good section to split off for the sight of a Lightwarden.

We Fall
We Fall
We Fall
We Fall
We Fall
We Fall
We Fall

Repeated seven times

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Feldegast42 posted:

We Fall
We Fall
We Fall
We Fall
We Fall
We Fall
We Fall

Repeated seven times

Garuda's just glad that finally someone is listening to her.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Something I forgot to mention after the last chapter is that if you coax Alphinaud into the showers by asking him what Estinien would say, he gets very bashful and begs you not to tell him anything. It's an interesting contrast compared Alisaie response and could easily be read that he cares more about having Estinien's respect than his twin sister's.

Hot take: I think Shadow has the second lowest boss track after ARR. (I got tired of hearing Triumph due to all the dungeons in Stormblood, but it's still a good track when you aren't overdosing on it.)

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 7, 2024

dyslexicfaser
Dec 10, 2022

Craptacular! posted:

Something I forgot to mention after the last chapter is that if you coax Alphinaud into the showers by asking him what Estinien would say, he gets very bashful and begs you not to tell him anything. It's an interesting contrast compared Alisaie response and could easily be read that he cares more about having Estinien's respect than his twin sister's.
Familiarity breeds contempt

Estinien is still shiny and new in his role as Big Brother (or WoL-like hero crush, or whatever's going on there)

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I mean, my sister knows every embarrassing thing I ever did as a kid or as a teenager. I'm never gonna look cool to her, I lost that battle ages ago.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Sanguinia posted:

Counterpoint: The dissonance can be really funny. Lyra staring at the sun because she doesn't know what it is cracked me the hell up.

I noticed this in the update too, but her name is Lyna with an N

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

This is weird and something they must have only done in 5.0 but when I cleared HS it stayed nighttime until I rested, and I screwed around for a while in Lakeland so it wasn't like I just missed the sunrise or something. I can see why they changed that with fishing and stuff though especially since you can revisit that game state with new game plus now.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

DanielCross posted:

I noticed this in the update too, but her name is Lyna with an N

Oops. I'll fix it.

EDIT: Looks like I only got it wrong once. Yay me.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
Rending the light at the end of Holminster Switch was my big "welcome to ShadowBringers" moment. Crystal Jim plays a great hype man for you there. I was so pumped up going through it.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Instead of the Insatiable remix I'd prefer it if the regular dungeon music would just continue to play normally though the other bosses. Holminster Switch's theme is pretty good and having it interrupted is a bit of a shame.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
One thing to consider - since the Kheris spent so much time evading Crystal Jim's pull toward the end of 4.x, that's multiple years that the First had to suffer without your presence to take care of things. :colbert:

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Snap into a Crystal Jim

GeminiSun
Feb 16, 2011

Khizan posted:

I mean, my sister knows every embarrassing thing I ever did as a kid or as a teenager. I'm never gonna look cool to her, I lost that battle ages ago.

Yeah, like - what's Alisaie gonna do if she hears about this? Dunk on him? Okay, so what's she gonna do that's different from normal?

Besides, he doesn't need to impress Alisaie. As much as they bicker, the twins are ride or die for each other and they both know that. He probably doesn't realize how much she falls the gently caress apart whenever she thinks he might be hurt, but he knows she loves him; it's not as if him being a little prissy about a communal bathing situation is going to do any damage to that relationship when she's seen him and loved him through way worse and stupider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I'm an only child so I can't relate to the dynamics, but I meant more in that for Alphinaud he hasn't seen Estinien for a few years and he's on a totally different planet or plane of reality at this point. I kind of like Alphie idolizing him because it's a departure from how everyone in the universe idolizes You.

And Estinien is also one of the only characters who can relatively hang with the WoL on a combat level and keep the peace at home in your absence.